Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

iWatch as a safety device

I was pulling hard on the lift cable of my Ultrex today when the cable broke. I was slammed down onto the deck and before I could recover, my iWatch lit up with a fall detection SOS alarm. I tapped “I’m OK” and closed it but if I had been unable to respond in 1 minute, it would have called emergency services.

I don’t normally wear my watch while fishing but plan to do so from now on. Hopefully it will never have to call 911 for me but it is comforting to know that it will if need be.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

2. Member
    You'll still need to wear your P F D so they can find the body.

"The Diamond State" Wait a minute!!! That's my state, Delaware!

Join DateAug 2013
    LocationThe Diamond State
    Posts3,841

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    You'll still need to wear your P F D so they can find the body.

"The Diamond State" Wait a minute!!! That's my state, Delaware!

Join DateAug 2013
    LocationThe Diamond State
    Posts3,841
    Actually I live in Arkansas, the only state in North America with a natural Diamond site. The current moto is “Natural State” but growing up here, my teen license plate said “Diamond State”.
    Didn’t mean to steal your state moto, guess I need to stop living in the past.

Glad you are okay Bill!
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic Bob View Post
    Glad you are okay Bill!
    Thanks, I do have a bruised back muscle where I landed on the gunnel. I was practicing for a tournament tomorrow but there is no way I can fish now. I can sit or stand comfortably but anything else and that sore muscle gets involved.
    What makes me mad is this cable is the G-Force replacement and the collar on the handle end came loose. It is a very poor design , two opposing set screws but they are on the same centerline which just squashes the cable. They should be opposing but offset latterly to form an S bend in the cable when tightened. I should have been more critical when I installed it and made a proper clamping collar. I assumed the Engineers knew their job, but apparently not.

6. Member
    Sorry to hear that. Glad you’re okay. This might be off track, I’m just on lunch and browsing on my phone so not very internet saavy. That said in the trolling motor and electronics thread I think it is one of our members built and is selling stronger lifts to help with the ultrex. Maybe you know already but if not thought I’d toss it out there also. Sorry I can’t link it, but it’s not hard to find.

7. Member
    Factory cable or aftermarket?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    I assumed the Engineers knew their job, but apparently not.
    Yes that is a piss poor design and you would think someone along the line would have caught it. It is a very poor reflection on the Company that a consumer has to modify their product.
    I am glad all is well.
    Hell my muscles hurt all the time, so I don't know if I am aching or not!
    As we know Bill is the MacGyver of the boating world!
    Take care Bill, you are my HERO!
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

HMMMM, this is one more reason I've been looking at the iWatch.
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

10. Member
    Glad you’re ok!

When my truck came off the jack last year pinning my foot under the tire (changing a flat) my iWatch did the same thing. I guess it detected my heart rate jumping while not standing? I’ve just ignored it once in the past and about 15 mins later the police were at my front door. I stood there and took the butt chewing for not telling the 911 operator I was ok. Now I pay attention to the prompt LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Factory cable or aftermarket?
    G-Force
    The factory one broke about a month ago and slammed me onto the deck, but I did not hit anything so did not sustain a lasting injury. This time my left side was slammed onto the gunnel.
    The factory cable broke but the clamp held. The G-Force cable is larger and I believe better but the clamp sucks.

12. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    I had two of those so called life time steel cables break on me putting me on the deck. I now use para cord and no problems.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

13. Member
    Thanks, I do have a bruised back muscle where I landed on the gunnel. I was practicing for a tournament tomorrow but there is no way I can fish now. I can sit or stand comfortably but anything else and that sore muscle gets involved.
    What makes me mad is this cable is the G-Force replacement and the collar on the handle end came loose. It is a very poor design , two opposing set screws but they are on the same centerline which just squashes the cable. They should be opposing but offset latterly to form an S bend in the cable when tightened. I should have been more critical when I installed it and made a proper clamping collar. I assumed the Engineers knew their job, but apparently not.
    ghost collar is offset
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    Glad you’re ok!

When my truck came off the jack last year pinning my foot under the tire (changing a flat) my iWatch did the same thing. I guess it detected my heart rate jumping while not standing? I’ve just ignored it once in the past and about 15 mins later the police were at my front door. I stood there and took the butt chewing for not telling the 911 operator I was ok. Now I pay attention to the prompt LOL.
    Ouch man
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

15. Member
    Actually I live in Arkansas, the only state in North America with a natural Diamond site. The current moto is “Natural State” but growing up here, my teen license plate said “Diamond State”.
    Didn’t mean to steal your state moto, guess I need to stop living in the past.
    Glad you are ok. That could have turned real nasty. Now you aren't living in the past, when I was growing up there, plates said Land of Opportunity.

I was pulling hard on the lift cable of my Ultrex today when the cable broke. I was slammed down onto the deck and before I could recover, my iWatch lit up with a fall detection SOS alarm. I tapped “I’m OK” and closed it but if I had been unable to respond in 1 minute, it would have called emergency services.

I don’t normally wear my watch while fishing but plan to do so from now on. Hopefully it will never have to call 911 for me but it is comforting to know that it will if need be.
    Had that happen to me two years ago. Ran the boat out of fuel and limped back to the ramp with my TM. Tried loading the boat on the trailer with the TM and pull it up just before it crossed the back of the trailer. The cable (also an Ultrex) came apart (ferrule came off). Pretty damn amazing how fast you go from standing to laying flat on your back in the back of the boat. I ended up 12' from where I was standing in the blink of an eye. Couple bruises and a bruised ego as the ramp was packed. Banged up the TM power and transducer mount (Transducer Shield) pretty bad after it slammed into the trailer cross members but at least the transducer wasn't damaged.

To the OP, glad you are ok.
    2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret

i tried pretty much every cable - paracord was good but i finally broke down and bought "The Red One" cable and it was well worth the price

Minn Kota Ultrex (redonesystems.com)

Quote Originally Posted by DewRonInc View Post
    ghost collar is offset
    Thanks for the tip!!!
    I found a Lowrance Ghost replacement cable on Trollingmotorparts.com and think it will work on the Ultrex. It is also half the price of the G-Force.
    I already made a collar designed like the one on the Ghost cable and adapted it to the G-Force or I would order one.
    If someone tries one on the Ultrex, please confirm if it fits.

19. Member
    Had the same thing happen with the handle but didn't fall on my backside. I tied a knot in the cable and kept fishing with it like that for a couple years.
    Fish have fins, they swim

20. Member
    I am undecided on the iWatch. I have never owned and Apple product. My wife is an iPhone user and recommended the iWatch because I have been recently diagnosed with Epilepsy.

I was planning on doing research on the iWatch and will report back if I find anything of value.

Definitely a life vest at all times is in my future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast