Mercury 250 ProXS 4 Stroke - PVS Plug in or out?

With 2 people I'm getting a great hole shot and havent opened it it up all the way yet but hit 5850 RPM easily with more to go on 24p Fury 3. I have 23 Tempest I plan to run too.
    I've searched around and see conflicting information. Is it best to run the PVS plugs in the prop or not? Completely plugged or partial? What is your experiences? I'm running a 2021 250 ProXS 4S on a 14' Ranger 520c.

2. Member
    If it has good hole shot now leave it as is, the plugs don't do anything on the top end.

3. Member
    I read someone say 4 strokes need all plugs in. Then someone else said plugs out.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronWKU View Post
    I read someone say 4 strokes need all plugs in. Then someone else said plugs out.
    All depends on your boat setup and how it performs, there is no one size fits all.

I am running a 24 tempest on my 250 4S with 3 large plugs. I tried it with solids and hole shot is better now. All boats are different
    2022 Caymas cx20pro 250 Pro XS s/n 3B099812

All props are different. I have two Fury 3/24 and one I run no plugs and the other I run partial plugs. Both have been B/P from Croxton

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Most 4-strokes don't require the PVS that 2-strokes did, HOWEVER, it is perfectly acceptable to using anything from SOLID PLUGS to NO PLUGS, or any combination in between, that provides the holeshot YOUR boat needs.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    fury no plugs tempest big plugs - I've run both and the tempest needed big plugs on hole shot
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

9. mikesxpress
    Testing on my 250 V8 and a true pitched 3 blade Fury 23 showed no hole shot difference between plugs in or out.