Hds Live vs Carbon

Hey guys, just wondering if I will notice the difference running active target on a hds 9 carbon vs hds 9 live...?

thx all

2. Member
    No, as there is no difference. :)

3. Member
    I have tried the 12 carbon vs the 12 live and compared.
    The screens are the exact same. But, there is a more noticeable delay on AT using the carbon than the live.
    If your a bass fisherman you will not notice.
    For crappie when you jerk the pole vs the time it takes to see the jig move - there is less of a delay. Still a bit of delay though but noticeable difference.
    The whole reason I purchased the live 12.

Besides, you can watch the football game on the Live 12 as there is an HDMI input :)

There definitely is a difference. The screen on the Live is viewable at greater angles with polarized lens and has slight different tint. There definitely is a skipping in the carbon sonar that is not present in the Live. I have both mounted side by side on my dash and it is noticeable. It wouldnt stop me from using a Carbon though

definitely go live with active target my carbon had bad laggggggggggg

6. Member
    I don’t understand this. The units are just displaying an image. How could there be a difference in the two displays? All processing occurs in the module. If it’s a problem of processor speed, I would have assumed there would be issues with Structure 3D comparing Gen3, Carbon, and Live. But I’ve never heard of an issue there. Just really trying to understand what you all are seeing and if there is any explanation for it. My buddy displays AT on an Elite FS. You’d think if there was a processing issue it would show up there. Have never heard of anything though.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

Apparently I did not comprehend the OP question thoroughly and after reading NoCal response I reread it. My statement does not apply to the AT lag. I have Elite FS, Carbon and Live. The lag is the same on all 3 for AT.
    Sorry for my haste.

8. Member
    Thanks for the info all. I'm looking at options to add a second unit up front for the AT only... and wondering what the most budget friendly option is. The current carbon unit will run 2d/down/mapping second unit will be AT only. So I have three options, elite 9fs, hds carbon 9 or hds live 9. Keeping in mind this unit will only be AT only.

9. Member
    A bass fisherman would not notice the lag. As a crappie fisherman using a jig below the boat, I notice a big difference in the Live over the carbon.
    Was really disappointed in the lag till I purchased the live.

The AT ethernet cable runs direct into the Live 12. No other data or comm connected to the live 12.
    I did purchase a 25ft ethernet cable over the holidays and plan to link the carbon and the live. Will post if this affects anything.
    Right now its much better.

10. Member
    The Live and the Carbon have different processors in them. Functionally the software is the same and processing the AT is the same but there are some differences in getting the unit to display the pictures. Is that difference enough to warrant spending more money, I don’t think so. But to get the latest and greatest you have to go with the HDSPro.

Quote Originally Posted by STRETCH1 View Post
    The Live and the Carbon have different processors in them. Functionally the software is the same and processing the AT is the same but there are some differences in getting the unit to display the pictures. Is that difference enough to warrant spending more money, I don’t think so. But to get the latest and greatest you have to go with the HDSPro.
    Was going to same something similar. The processors between them are different which is what provides the translation / picture to appear from AT to the screen. The Carbon with the latest updates should be good enough for bass fisherman, but crappie guys out here are moving away from the Carbons and into the newer units.
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

12. Member
    A year from now when they have updated the software on AT a couple more times you will be sorry if you are still running it on a Carbon. I would definitely not buy one. Live's are cheap enough right now to justify the additional expense.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by avidbasser View Post
    Was going to same something similar. The processors between them are different which is what provides the translation / picture to appear from AT to the screen. The Carbon with the latest updates should be good enough for bass fisherman, but crappie guys out here are moving away from the Carbons and into the newer units.
    Bass guys feel the bite and Crappie guys used to.

14. Member
    Scheels has a Live 9 for $999 right now.

15. Member
    There's one reason that isn't mentioned so far why I prefer HDS live for ActiveTarget over the carbons. In my setup, I have two HDS Live 12 and a Carbon 12. I had one HDS live and the Carbon on the bow. I did test A/T on both, and as others have discussed, the HDS live processor and viewing angles are better. I don't think it's that significant though and it still looks quite good on Carbon. But the real issue I had with Carbon is if you are fishing in the rain. Assuming you have the screen facing upward, the bezel design on the carbon causes it to catch water. The Carbon interface would then go bonkers as water filled the corners. The water seemed to act like a bunch of taps that confused the hell out of the unit. I ultimately swapped my carbon to the console, and the HDS live to the bow. By contrast, the HDS live's lack of a bezel lets water run off, and the touch sensitivity must be different as well, since even when water collects it doesn't seem to be affected. Hopet his helps your decision.
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    2010 Yamaha 250 SHO
    10in Atlas Hydraulic, 10ft PP blades

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbarthelt View Post
    There's one reason that isn't mentioned so far why I prefer HDS live for ActiveTarget over the carbons. In my setup, I have two HDS Live 12 and a Carbon 12. I had one HDS live and the Carbon on the bow. I did test A/T on both, and as others have discussed, the HDS live processor and viewing angles are better. I don't think it's that significant though and it still looks quite good on Carbon. But the real issue I had with Carbon is if you are fishing in the rain. Assuming you have the screen facing upward, the bezel design on the carbon causes it to catch water. The Carbon interface would then go bonkers as water filled the corners. The water seemed to act like a bunch of taps that confused the hell out of the unit. I ultimately swapped my carbon to the console, and the HDS live to the bow. By contrast, the HDS live's lack of a bezel lets water run off, and the touch sensitivity must be different as well, since even when water collects it doesn't seem to be affected. Hopet his helps your decision.

This is the exact thing I was going to say. Love my carbon except when it rains.
    2000 Triton Tr21
    2002 Mercury 250 Pro XB

17. Member
    I’ve tried talking myself into some of the discounted lives orrrr even the upcoming pros over my 12 and 16 carbon…. I just can’t get there…
    2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS - HDS Carbon 16 & HDS Carbon 12 - Minn Kota Ultrex

Quote Originally Posted by jusmangrum View Post
    This is the exact thing I was going to say. Love my carbon except when it rains.
    Ha...never even thought of that. Good point!!