Boat sitting too low?

I have a 17 Z520c. With a full tournament load (full live wells and full of gas and two guys) water is over the rub rail in the rear and in the splash well. Is this normal?
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

2. Member
    Doesn't sound normal to me unless your 520 is the Ranger demo with the holes cut into it.

3. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Have you had the boat for a while and it didn’t do this previously, or is the boat new to you? [Has anything changed?] What kind and size of jack plate is on the boat? I had a Z520C with a hydraulic jack plate and it sat lower in the rear than my Z520 with a manual plate [hydraulic is heavier]. But at 160 pounds myself, my Z520s never sat that low. If the jack plate is longer than 10 inches, this also would make it sit lower. You don’t by chance have 5 lead-acid or AGM batteries? Unless you have exceptional weight in the rear of the boat, sitting that low would be unusual.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

4. Member
    phoenix and stratos sit low in the rear like you are describing. rangers usually pretty flat with nose down
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    Have you had the boat for a while and it didn’t do this previously, or is the boat new to you? [Has anything changed?] What kind and size of jack plate is on the boat? I had a Z520C with a hydraulic jack plate and it sat lower in the rear than my Z520 with a manual plate [hydraulic is heavier]. But at 160 pounds myself, my Z520s never sat that low. If the jack plate is longer than 10 inches, this also would make it sit lower. You don’t by chance have 5 lead-acid or AGM batteries? Unless you have exceptional weight in the rear of the boat, sitting that low would be unusual.
    I've had it 4 years. And since I rarely fish tournaments, I never filled the tank and live wells before. It has an Atlas plate, and 4 agm batteries. So it's a pretty standard configuration.
    Yamaha 250 SHO

6. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Okay, so no special reason why it sits low ^. If I were you and it bothered me [i.e., if you plan to run fully loaded fairly frequently], I’d take it to a reputable Ranger dealer and have them check it out for you. Without something obvious to pin it on, it’s hard to guess what’s going on. But I know that my dealer—who has personally sold and driven hundreds of Rangers—would be very likely to come up with some answers in a quick water test. Where you’re located, top-notch dealers shouldn’t be difficult to find.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    Okay, so no special reason why it sits low ^. If I were you and it bothered me [i.e., if you plan to run fully loaded fairly frequently], I’d take it to a reputable Ranger dealer and have them check it out for you. Without something obvious to pin it on, it’s hard to guess what’s going on. But I know that my dealer—who has personally sold and driven hundreds of Rangers—would be very likely to come up with some answers in a quick water test. Where you’re located, top-notch dealers shouldn’t be difficult to find.
    Located in Atlanta.
    Yamaha 250 SHO

8. Member
    Is it possible the foam is wet

9. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone357 View Post
    Located in Atlanta.
    I saw that in your profile. I’m not familiar with which dealerships are closest to you, how reputable, etc., but there has to be someone decent in the heart of good bass fishing country.

10. Member
    Thanks guys.
    Yamaha 250 SHO

my 2006 519vx , sets low and I have to be careful how I come off plane water will come over the back every time and aut bielge comes on thru the day. I have dual power poles, 4 acid batterys, 3 bank ranger carger, no jack plate, usuall have dual fuel tanks better than 3/4 full.... previous owner said it got worse when he had power poles installed..... Its the few dislikes about my Ranger... I would be scared to take it to any of the Great Lakes. I have been thinking of having a rear splash guard custom made, If any one know somewhere to get this done please let me know

2006 RANGER 519VX
    200HP MERCURY OPTI-MAX
    Sole member of " THE FISHERMEN FOR LIFE" a fisherman that knows one can make the difference!!

12. Member
    My 2000 518vx sat low after I repowered...bigger motor, dual Talons, jack plate. I got rid of my lead trolling motor batteries and went with lithium and that helped quite a bit
    2000 Ranger 518vx - 2019 Mercury Pro xs 200