Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar

Question Touch Screen vs. Non Thoughts......

Sooooo, who has had a 93/106/126 and went to a GPSmap 1242 (non touchscreen)?? Yes i have those models but looking to change over to the GPSmap units and looking at the 1242xsv for bow mainly for Livescope......i do prefer a touchscreen but never used the GPSmap non touch model.....might order any way and give it a try.....i just recently bought a 943xsv from a member and its pretty nice unit.......

So currently i have a 126/console, 93+/106 on bow......have since changed out the 93+ with the 943xsv. Looking to put the 1243xsv/console and add the 1242xsv to the 943.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

2. Member
    For the most part I like the touch screen, but sometimes I accidentally touch the screen when I didn't mean to. I can see why you are thinking as you are.

3. Member
    I've been running various models of the touchscreen for over 3 years. Currently running a GPSMAP8612 XSV. I love the touchscreen units. Gain and range are at the bottom of the screen - about the only two things I ever adjust. Super easy to use.

4. Member
    I use 1222 non and all I do is turn a knob

5. Member
    it's mostly just a matter of personal preference. Garmin has done an outstanding job on the software for the knob units. I've used them and people I know are using them. I prefer the touch screen because a 12 inch touch unit doesn't take up the space of a 12 inch knob unit. Disadvantage of the touch unit is that it doesn't matter how clean your hands are I seem to spend a lot of time cleaning my fingerprints off the screen.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

6. Member
    Geesh I just tossed around these thoughts for weeks. I do have a 1042xsv. Not a problem at all with the knobs and buttons. I wanted a bigger unit to go with the 1042. I looked at the 1242xsv, and 1243xsv. Even though I have plenty of battery looking at all the specs of these units for me it boiled down to power consumption, weight and screen resolution and actual unit size(being on the bow)Currently I do run 2 lowerance units. My plan is to eventually go all garmin with one for sidevu and downvu. I was fortunate to see all the units in person, I seen clear difference in the image with the 8600 series both 10 and 12 inch units from my current 1042. The 1243xsv was a close second with the 1242 being third. As far as the touchscreen versus the knob(keeps the screen clean) is easy but navigation will be the same on the gpsmaps units. I will add I went the 8612xsv which is a touchscreen. If I would have had the option in the 8612 to have the keyed controls I would have purchased it simply because of screen cleaness
    Last edited by Redngoo; 12-25-2022 at 08:36 AM.
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

7. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I'm also thinking of just getting the 1243xsv and then keep the 126 just for LS and then get rid of the 93+ and 106......pretty soon, i'll have 5 dang units on hand and not using a few of them......

8. Member
    I have both. Use touch screens the most. But for mapping I love the knob.

Retired grass grower

ROCK CHALK

9. Member
    I’m also going through this struggle with 10” units… the Echomap 106 I currently use vs the GPSMAP 1022. I only use it for Livescope and it must be portable as I use it for ice fishing in the winter and off the front of my dock and bow of my boat with the same pole system in the summer. The 1022 GPSMAP is alot wider than the 106sv so it would need to be on a larger shuttle like an ArcLab or Summit vs the Garmin XL bag/shuttle I use with the 106.

The idea of quick Range/Depth/Gain adjustments, no screen smudges, less amp draw and Active Captain recording lean me towards the GPSMAP…
    2013 Skeeter MX1825 with Yammy F150 & Garmin Ultra 106sv & LVS34 Livescope

"My hotfoot pedal goes to 11"

Jeremy, I thought you were sold on getting the 1243xsv a while.. What has made you re-think this?

USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Anti Submarine Warfare Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

11. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnieG View Post
    Jeremy, I thought you were sold on getting the 1243xsv a while.. What has made you re-think this?
    Yes, that is still the plan.....i just move slow on doing things....i waited to sell my other units but waited to long and now everyone bought Black Friday sales units, it wont be any good to sell what i have now.....i still plan on getting the 1243xsv, and then hang onto the others until i think i can sell them. Earlier this fall i did buy a 943xsv from a member on here...

12. Member
    I have had both touch and non-touch 12" Garmin units on my boat. I only used them for Live Scope - nothing else. I prefer the 1222 non-touch. The dial/knob is very quick to press/turn to make any adjustments I need to make. It's probably even quicker than a touch screen.
    2023 Puma STS

13. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TNReb View Post
    I have had both touch and non-touch 12" Garmin units on my boat. I only used them for Live Scope - nothing else. I prefer the 1222 non-touch. The dial/knob is very quick to press/turn to make any adjustments I need to make. It's probably even quicker than a touch screen.
    And thats what i was wondering....the 106 has some of the adjustments on the screen which is just a quick touch.....I'm just on the fence....if i did get the 1224xsv it would mainly be for Livescope....

14. Member
    Well Jeremy, you could do both. Get a GPSMAP touch unit and add the GRID 20. Then you have touch screen, knob and buttons and 4 favorite keys.......kidding a bit. GRID 20 does do that but is designed for console mount. Too bad they don't make an attachment for it to mount on the side of the unit.
    Last edited by LWINCHESTER2; 12-28-2022 at 09:52 PM.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

15. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Id have best of both worlds then,....

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Basseditor View Post
    For the most part I like the touch screen, but sometimes I accidentally touch the screen when I didn't mean to. I can see why you are thinking as you are.
    I hate when I accidentally touch some setting when i am just trying to adjust distance.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

17. Member
    I have had a unit with both.(not the same brand) I find it matters what I am doing decides which I choose. Mostly to do with boat motion, but my motion also matters. Using one hand for something else(steering the boat or just holding a rod makes it harder to be steady enough with the free hand for anything precise on the touch. The knobs seem a better choice for me at that time. If you can rest your hand on something touch is still nice. That said, I would not want a unit without touch. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

18. Member
    Are you planning on networking the garmins together? I guess if it was me I'd make sure I could add waypoints from livescope for specific cover or areas and they would share on my console unit, or 2nd unit at the bow... or better yet, all.
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro Xp
    2022 Mercury 225 ProXs 3B171157