Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Your last boat, what and why

Hello everyone

I am 56 and looking for a new boat, I have had two Nitro's in the past and have had great luck with them. This next one should last me the rest of my life, so I'm looking at the best or what I consider the best.

I have always wanted a Skeeter FXR21 but they only come with the Helix, I have had Hummingbirds in the past and liked them but I was thinking about going with the Lowrance, so started looking at the Ranger Z521R and also the Nitro Z21 because of my past luck with them.

I have not used the Lowrance Active Target but it looks good, I will be fishing Lake Norman and they have a lot of docks I thought this may be nice to have when fishing docks.
    I know this is one of the best hard decision I've ever had and I am blessed, so I am asking for your advice... What would you get and why?

Thanks for reading... Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and happy New Year

Mark

BassCat Puma STS with a 250 Suzuki SS HANDS DOWN! Mic drop and walk away winner! Don't bother looking any further you'll be wasting your time

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick H View Post
    BassCat Puma STS with a 250 Suzuki SS HANDS DOWN! Mic drop and walk away winner! Don't bother looking any further you'll be wasting your time
    I'm guessing you are wanting to purchase Chad Pipkens boat when he's done with the 2023 season.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

Quote Originally Posted by booter View Post
    I'm guessing you are wanting to purchase Chad Pipkens boat when he's done with the 2023 season.
    Nope pass

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

5. Member
    Nice rig you got there
    Last edited by magfluker; 01-04-2023 at 10:41 AM. Reason: read the prior page
    Kyle

2010 Nitro Z-7

PB: 11 lbs, 1 oz

6. Member
    I’ve fished 5 years as a Coangler. Been in them all. 75-80 different boats in all conditions.

Phoenix

Prepare for responses telling you to choose whatever boat the responder owns.

Then go get the one YOU like. The Skeeter is really nice…if you’ve always wanted one. Learning the Helix wouldn’t be be a big deal and you can always add a live scope.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Prepare for responses telling you to choose whatever boat the responder owns.

Then go get the one YOU like. The Skeeter is really nice…if you’ve always wanted one. Learning the Helix wouldn’t be be a big deal and you can always add a live scope.
    This^^^ Since it's your last boat go look and ride as many as you can and buy what you like and if electronics really matter than order new with no electronics and add them after you buy it.
    Bass Boat
    Powered by an outboard
    Electronics at helm and up front
    Pulled by my truck

9. Banned
    I love a Skeeter!!! You will be changing graphs in 2-3 years anyway, look at the used Carbons in the for sale section.

But I would not be scared of anything mentioned. Id there a truly hated bass boat anymore? Nitro had the worst rep for a while (I think that has been overblown) but I fished out of a few of them and all were great. Ranger is slow.... blah blah blah.

Get what ya want and don't worry as much about the graphs. All of the brands do a nice job and you will be upgrading graphs before your done fishing.

While I do love "brand X" I was not impressed when I saw a guy doing a restore on one. When the factory put in the cockpit drain the guy with the hole saw cut right into the stingers and it was shipped that way. This is a brand mentioned in this thread and is thought of as a top quality boat. The point being is that any of them can be a turd if the guy putting it together was not competent.
    Last edited by old4runner; 12-22-2022 at 11:55 AM.

10. Member
    If it has to be a bass boat. Phoenix 920 or 21 elite.

Het the one that makes your ears wiggle when you sit in it.........

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    I like this approach.!! But I don’t remember much wiggling till I fired it up and went blasting along on the first run.!!

Quote Originally Posted by clayshooter View Post
    I like this approach.!! But I don’t remember much wiggling till I fired it up and went blasting along on the first run.!!
    maybe i was not the right boat?

14. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    This is the only "correct" answer.

For me if going glass and price was no object it would be Gambler because they're said to ride like a Champion AND FAST or maybe the BassCat Caracal because it looks like a nice roomy rig. If going aluminum it would probably be Avid because I like what I've seen from them and like them better than Vexus for no good reason.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    This is the only "correct" answer.

For me if going glass and price was no object it would be Gambler because they're said to ride like a Champion AND FAST or maybe the BassCat Caracal because it looks like a nice roomy rig. If going aluminum it would probably be Avid because I like what I've seen from them and like them better than Vexus for no good reason.
    I waffled between my cat and a Gambler when I bought. The deciding factor was at the time the livwells were out by the gunnels, the Cat had better livewells, trailer, and the footpedal well......still the best placement, love it in the nose.

16. Member
    Are you sure you can't order a Skeeter without electronics and your dealer can add what you want? I saw one come in with Garmin loaded and the dealer told me it was special ordered that way. I wouldn't let electronics dictate my boat selection if a switch can be made.

17. Member
    i dont think i would let the electronics dictate my dicision of which boat i would buy, you can put any brand on them that you want. pick the boat that fits you first

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fxphil View Post
    i dont think i would let the electronics dictate my dicision of which boat i would buy, you can put any brand on them that you want. pick the boat that fits you first
    This is what I advise also.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fxphil View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    This would be a good idea! Or special order it with the electronics you want!

20. Member
    There are lots of good boats out there right now. As others have stated, go look and crawl around as many as you can. Everyones opinion is a little different.

I have had several of the major brands in recent years and am currently in a Phoenix. Phoenix fits the bill for me and is a great all around boat.

good luck!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast