Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ATV pull behind mower…

Hey there friends. I just bought a property that has about 7 acres of fields. I’d like to keep it mowed down so it looks like a park this summer. I have a newer ATV. Does anyone have experience with a pull behind field and brush mower?

I’d appreciate any info.

See ya.

2. Member
    I get catalogs from DR equip. that has them. I looked online and they are $$$

3. Member
    A guy I hunted with had one. It did the job but it lacked power and bounced around more than a proper tractor mounted device.

4. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    how rough is the terrain you are talking about... and how "park like" are we talking?
    i live minutes from 2 state parks and several Corp. parks and they all use zero turns..

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

5. Member
    For a park type mow maybe the gang reel mowers like a golf course has.

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I have a 15ft mower and a tractor with air conditioning and I’d consider mowing 7 acres every week a pain. Doing it driving an ATV would be pretty uncomfortable. You should look at a tractor with a batwing finish mower.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

I’d roll more towards a tractor/mower or even a zero turn depending on the lay of the land. A pull behind will work. I own all mentioned. If you lean towards a pull behind take a look at Swisher. I have a 44” cut with a 12hp Briggs. It has an electric start that mounts on the 4 wheeler. These are heavy duty. Built heavy and have very thick blades. Make sure you have an ATV with good power and/or cooling, because a pull behind will make a smaller ATV get hot.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

8. Member
    I have a swisher 44''' with only two wheels and a 60'' with 4 wheels. They both mow well I really don't mow close just use them to keep a deer lease under control more like a bush hog. I do mow close a couple times right before deer season. If your wanting to keep it like a golf course I would buy a zero turn or a finish mower for a tractor. Zero turn would mow faster and better than you can pull a swisher.

9. Member
    Like CatFan stated above you will get tired of the ATV quickly in the summer. I know its more $$$ but you really should consider a tractor. It also good for many other things like pulling a box blade to fix holes in the road or a post hole drill if your putting up fences. A tractor just gives you more options. Keep in mind a 60" commercial grade zero turn is going to cost you between 8-12 thousand depending upon manufacturer. Kubota was offering 0% interest some time ago not sure what they have going on now. Don't get a little tractor. Just like with boats you'll want/need more power. Look for at least 40 HP to pull a bigger finish mower or brush hog. Keep in mind that PTO HP not engine HP determines what size attachments you can use.
    Phillip "Wade" Norris
    2015 Ranger Z520C
    250 Merc Optimax Pro XS (S# 2B113454)
    25P Fury - 4 blade all holes open

I used to have a swisher 60” pull behind mower that I used behind a Honda Rubicon. One thing to think about is if your four wheeler has a CVT transmission then it’s gonna be hard on it because of the slower speeds that you’ll be going. The mower did do a very good job as long as you kept the blades sharp.

I’ve since sold it and now have a 60 horse Kubota with a cab and could never go back.

2010 Nitro Z7
    Mercury Optimax 150
    Garmin 106SV(bow), 106SV(console)
    Cayuta Creek Outdoors
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw3...UvSxaeLpzFyYHA

11. Member
    I have a Swisher 44” that I use to mow places that are too tough for my zero turn and too small for the tractor, to get a good cut with the Swisher it is slow going, I would definitely recommend a tractor, it will be faster and more practical for 7 acres.

12. Member
    To go along with what others have said, my uncle has 80 acres and keeps the front 5 acres or so....what used to be a pasture.....mowed like a lawn. He too started with an ATV and pull behind mower but it took a long time to get it done. He now uses a zero turn or if it gets away from him, a 6ft finishing mower behind his Mahindra. Says both methods are better than the pull behind.

13. Banned
    I had a 60" Swisher but the Zero turn is Way better and Way faster! Also way more expensive!

14. Member
    Pull behinds, from my experience are slow and if you let the grass get away from you some, you will have to crawl to get a great cut. A good pull behind is a nice down payment on a tractor or ztr. You said this summer? If you have future plans that are different, I don't know that I wouldn't consider having someone cut it for you or baled, till you find the optimum tools for your land.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

Dbl post ???
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

Quote Originally Posted by HatfieldHog View Post
    Hey there friends. I just bought a property that has about 7 acres of fields. I’d like to keep it mowed down so it looks like a park this summer. I have a newer ATV. Does anyone have experience with a pull behind field and brush mower?

I’d appreciate any info.

See ya.
    Want a park? Go Nature and leave most of it as is. Mow paths through and around. Mow some open pockets were deer and turkey can come in to graze. Add a feeder or two. Put in a small pond or two. Add a couple of wood benches along the way. Plant wild flowers for bee's, butterfly's and hummingbirds. Put out Bluebird houses etc. Maybe a observation blind or two. Less work, cheaper and the only upkeep will be mowing the paths.
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

17. Member
    Older tractor of clist and a newer 6' bush hog. A couple hours of tractor therapy once a month...done.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

18. Member
    Another vote against the pull-behind. My buddy tried that for his 2 AC lawn. He got tired of it and went back to a conventional mower. I'd guess Z-turn would be your most cost-effective route with the best looking result

19. Member
    After re-reading the original post and seeing we are talking 7 acres here there is not way I would consider one. A large mower or a small tractor is probably warranted.

Also, field and brush mower and keeping it mowed like a park is not going to happen.

20. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    After re-reading the original post and seeing we are talking 7 acres here there is not way I would consider one. A large mower or a small tractor is probably warranted.

Also, field and brush mower and keeping it mowed like a park is not going to happen.
    not to mention the neck pain...
    or the concussion from hitting the tree while your head is turned looking backwards...

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast