Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bulging/ herniated disk ?

Have a L 5 disk pressing against nerve. Dr. Has recommended getting the shot in back to ease pressure on nerve. Anyone had success with the shot? Or should I just see if it heals on its own. This has been going on for a month or a little more.

2. Banned
    I do the shots when the pain gets too much. The last Dr. would shoot You in the office and then watch You for 25 min. My current Pain Dr. (13 years in Feb.) puts You under so I try to split them up back/neck to get 2 'great naps'. My injuries had me retired early from the Cop Shop after 19 mo. of P/T and 7 different Surgeons.

Pain gets worse if You just 'sit around' (stiffen) Do You do any stretching? Yoga; Tai-Chi and qi gong have helped and I walk/rake between 3-5 mi. a day at dog park.

Stay Hydrated... <--- this helps too w/inflammation

P.S. don't discount herbs either. Eat the 'wrong foods' it'll mess w/inflammation.

3. Member
    I have stayed as active as the pain will let me. Waiting on Dr. To schedule the shot. I’m just ready for some relief and I’m hoping the shot works. Thanks for your advice.

4. Member
    I have had those shot in my SI joint. It worked for about 2 weeks then I was back in pain. A chiropractor might be a good option as well. Good luck.

5. Member
    I'm assuming you've had an MRI done, if not you should. Shots are usually temporary relief. I'm not a big fan of chiropractors as they can sometimes cause more issues when it comes to bulging/herniated discs. I had bulging discs in my neck quite a few years back in 4, 5 and 6 I believe. I tried everything including a chiropractor. Was also doing PT and traction for a year leading up to my surgery. Surgeon did a great job cutting out portions of the bulging discs and all the PT I did leading up to my surgery sped up the healing process. I was bow hunting 2 weeks after my surgery. I hope you get some relief soon, pinched nerves suck!

6. Member
    I had a MRI on my back two weeks ago. Bulging discs and chronic degeneration. Pinched nerve. Have appointments in Jan. Might go the shot route. Sucks. Been in pain since September Can’t get in kayak. Haven’t been in boat

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    I'm assuming you've had an MRI done, if not you should. Shots are usually temporary relief. I'm not a big fan of chiropractors as they can sometimes cause more issues when it comes to bulging/herniated discs. I had bulging discs in my neck quite a few years back in 4, 5 and 6 I believe. I tried everything including a chiropractor. Was also doing PT and traction for a year leading up to my surgery. Surgeon did a great job cutting out portions of the bulging discs and all the PT I did leading up to my surgery sped up the healing process. I was bow hunting 2 weeks after my surgery. I hope you get some relief soon, pinched nerves suck!
    Yes sir, X-Ray, P/T, back to doctor, then MRI, then BACK to the Dr. These steps are insurance driven. Now waiting on another Dr. To give the shot. Crazy how long it takes to get something done.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuck Grass View Post
    Yes sir, X-Ray, P/T, back to doctor, then MRI, then BACK to the Dr. These steps are insurance driven. Now waiting on another Dr. To give the shot. Crazy how long it takes to get something done.
    I believe it was about a 4 month wait for me to have surgery after my first consult with the surgeon. Insurance and referrals really slow the process for sure. Wish you the best!

9. Member
    Get yourself a an inversion table. I had back problems and it helped immensely.

10. Member
    Shot worked for me….it took a week to 10 days after the shot for relief. Definitely worth a shot.

11. Member
    I just had surgery about a month ago for a ruptured disc. Doc said shot would not help me. it had ruptured 12mm out of the disc. Still have pain down my leg even after surgery. I hope it gets better in the next few months or I will be going back for a second look.

That's the same shot my brother had that gave him a staph infection that turned into sepsis and put him in the hospital for 4 months and damn near killed him. Obviously, that's a rare occurrence but...
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    That's the same shot my brother had that gave him a staph infection that turned into sepsis and put him in the hospital for 4 months and damn near killed him. Obviously, that's a rare occurrence but...
    Well, that’s not good. I hear good and bad about the shot. Hope your Brother gets well soon.

I had the surgery done on L4 and L5 back in 72 it was Work related, both are fused, and I haven't had a problem since. For me shot never worked nor did a Chiropractor. Chiropractor made it worse. Workman's comp dragged their feet for a month before authorizing the surgery, but, after 30 days in the hospital and a year rehabilitation, I haven't had any problem. Part of the 30 days was Workman's comp insistence for me to be in traction for 1 week. They don't go thru all that crap now. Good luck whichever path you take.

15. Member
    I've had injections. They work for me almost instantly. They last usually for the better part of a year. This last go round was August 2019. Got the injections and sent to pain management . Now the path is oxy which is managing the pain fairly well. As a result I may not have to have additional injections. I don't use the oxy every day and don't seem to need to use more and more. For me the injections need to be administered under sedation. Having the doc and the nurse discuss their weekend dinner plans while navigating a needle in my spine is nauseating and there's a good chance I'll vomit right then and there. So sedation it is for me.
    GETFISHED !!!

16. BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar
    I'm getting my next injection on Tuesday, they help me almost immediately. I get worse for a day then immediately feel better for 6-8 months.

17. BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    ANY procedure has risks. One shouldn't let a .01% chance of an infection get in the way of a 99% chance of pain relief

18. Banned
    As I was policing my opinions, i physically read 'surgery' and turned to an ad for 'Awake Surgery' a new show airing on TLC™ (Home of 90DayFiance™)

I guess You could see about options? as for me? i have 'wh. coat syndrome' and get clammy so shots... evidently, it is as advertised, and the Dr. does surgery whilst the subj. is 'awake' YIPES!

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    As I was policing my opinions, i physically read 'surgery' and turned to an ad for 'Awake Surgery' a new show airing on TLC™ (Home of 90DayFiance™)

I guess You could see about options? as for me? i have 'wh. coat syndrome' and get clammy so shots... evidently, it is as advertised, and the Dr. does surgery whilst the subj. is 'awake' YIPES!
    LOL. Nice Vid. You are awesome Lew :)
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

20. Member
    My wife and I have both dealt with disc issues.

She has had the shot twice and both times it helped her a lot. The first one lasted about a year, the second was the last one she has had, that was ~8 years ago. She has been using an inversion table since and has been able to keep it from coming back.

Myself, i was not even a candidate for them. My disc at l5s1 got so bad while i was playing the insurance game that i lost all reflex in my ankle and knee on my left side. By the time i was seen by a surgeon i was put on immediate bed rest and surgery within a week. The loss of reflex was the driver, when that happens it’s bad, and mine was bad for sure. After surgery and PT i have a strength deficit on that side and sometimes to this day 10 years later there are still times i cant move my foot and i end up tripping over myself and i have had quite a few missed shifts on my motorcycle because of it. After the first go-round I re-herinated the same disc again 5 years later and had to have another surgery. Doc says if it does it again fusion is my next step.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast