Hydrofoil to improve handling (deep vee tin)

My Dad has a Ranger 1682VS w/ 90 HP Mercury. I added a four blade prop and performance is better now accept for three issues

1) blow out when turning sharp

2) heavily weighted holeshot is a bit slow

3) other than at WOT and trimmed out the boat plows really badly (have tried multiple props to improve mid range lift with no luck)

I am considering installing a CB Marine Hydrofoil but not sure if it will help or not.

thoughts? am I chasing ghosts?
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

2. Member
    If it's plowing all of the time I don't think that a foil would help much. How much weight up front?

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    How are your rpm’s at WOT? Does it still tend to blow out on turns with the 4-blade? That would be odd, maybe adding more cup to your prop would help with the lift.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

Quote Originally Posted by BillsFan View Post
    If it's plowing all of the time I don't think that a foil would help much. How much weight up front?
    doesn't tend to matter much I can run with zero equipment in it or full it still plows more than I believe it should. Unless you are WOT and full trim then it achieves lift.

Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    How are your rpm’s at WOT? Does it still tend to blow out on turns with the 4-blade? That would be odd, maybe adding more cup to your prop would help with the lift.
    still cavitates on tight turns with the four blade. I at first thought the motor may be too high but have inspected around a dozen different VS series aluminum Rangers and all are setup identical.

right at 5600-5800 and recommended WOT RPM for that motor is 5,000-6,000 RPM. thats at 37-38 MPH GPS. my RPM reading is off of smartcraft so it is accurate...the tach on the boat reads like 800 RPM high compared to smartcraft.

Maybe I am just asking too much out of the hull coming from a performance bass boat but would really like more mid range lift as this boat rides WET right now in any chop and would like to eliminate the cavitation on tight turns purely for small river navigation.

6. Member
    What four blade (brand/pitch) are you running and what is PTP? Are the trolling batteries up front in the floor on this boat? I don’t think a foil is going to be the answer personally on that hull but there’s still room for improvements it would seem. Is that a 4 stroke 90hp or 2?
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

7. Member
    If it's still losing bite in turns with a 4 blade then the motor needs to be lower on the transom.. Also, the lower it is on the transom the more ability you'll have to trim it up to get the bow higher without losing prop bite.
    2022 Lund Tyee 1875, Merc 200

Quote Originally Posted by XingEyeballs View Post
    What four blade (brand/pitch) are you running and what is PTP? Are the trolling batteries up front in the floor on this boat? I don’t think a foil is going to be the answer personally on that hull but there’s still room for improvements it would seem. Is that a 4 stroke 90hp or 2?
    Not sure on PTP and no way to measure. boat is in winter storage. Prop is a 15 pitch SS Spitfire. TM batteries are central on this boat (below center rod locker next to the console). motor is the 2.1L 90 HP four stroke (2017) 2.07 standard gear case (non command thrust).

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBoater View Post
    If it's still losing bite in turns with a 4 blade then the motor needs to be lower on the transom.. Also, the lower it is on the transom the more ability you'll have to trim it up to get the bow higher without losing prop bite.
    This man knows what hes talking about. I spent hours tweeking out my set up. 190 with a 90 hp on it. I won't concerned so much with top speed but hole shot in the shallows was what I was wanting. Man did I ever get what I ask for and I did everything in my power to blow the prop out if it won't nailed down on the boat it went over board, LOL so I find my settings and motor heigh added the Hydrofoil only made it faster. .
    I raised the motor where it was almost blowing out then got a 4 blade with the bigger blades. Solas HP 19P I had already added weight forward to the boat i run 5 batterys two in the front left compartment two batter chargers and a double seat up front. Hole shot was awesome but had a idea and I tried it. It paid off.
    Instead of mounting the Hydrofoil fins to the bottom I added them to the second rails on the motor. They are still underwater when the motor is down and do the very same thing as mounting them to the bottom plate.
    Ever imagen a boat being to fast out the hole? You nail it it will set you back so fast your at 30 mph still trying to trim the motor up. I do have a 6 inch jack plate on the ass end run a 10 inch on the big ocean boat. 23.5 walk around with a 300 v rod on that. That boat will throw you out the back to. LOL
    Like mid west boater mentioned your motor is to high if your blowing out a 4 blade prop. Drop it down make sure you get the right pitch for the right RPM. Look on Market place pick up a used 100 dollar jack plate and add a couple of wings to the second rail on the motor. You get to pick what color seatbelt you want cause you just might need it. :)
    190TX Tracker 24' Striper offshore
    Southern living. Coastal North Carolina

I had similar issues with my Lowe FM1710 with a Merv 115. The stock 3 blade was doggy and had a slow hole shot (WOT rpm was low). I moved the motor up one hole (too low from the factory/dealer) which helped the top end some and WOT rpm was where it should have been. Then I changed to a Merc Spitfire 4 blade with the same pitch (rpms didn't change) and the hole shot was much better but it would blow out in hard corners. I installed a SE Sport 400 (no drilling) hydrofoil and most, if not all, the problems went away.

But, if the boat is plowing now, it may plow more with hydrofoil as it helps push the stern up. Hole shot was fast but I needed to trim up quickly. Could run full trim with no issues including turns.

I currently have a SE 400 on my 18' Skeeter MX with a Yamaha 175. Big, heavy boat but the hydrofoil helps the hole shot a lot but also allows me to keep the nose down in rough water at slower speeds.
    2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret