Thread: Price gouging ?

Price gouging ?

Just paid 96.85 plus tax for PN# 27-832933 5 powerhead gasket, I will mention not mercury dealer's name. Seems to be at least twice the price it should be. Needed it asap to complete the job. Am correct on this or has Merc actually increased the price on this gasket this much?
    Last edited by lpugh; 11-15-2022 at 11:18 AM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

2. Member
    that is exactly mrsp from MERCURY MARINE part has updated to 832933006
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Done got high for compressed paper
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That gasket has been high for a long time. Much higher quality than the original.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thank Joe & Don, I just cannot imagine what would justify this price for that gasket, I have been in the repair business too long, I guess. I do realize that this gasket is far superior to the aftermarket gaskets. Just bite the bullet and get the good stuff
    Thank You Leon Pugh

6. Member
    there are some for other engines way more costly look at some of the head gaskets for the 4 strkers , LEON you know it dont cost much more to go first class
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    Friend of mine and I had a conversation about gasket prices the other day. He was complaining about gaskets for a pro max, I was like, how much did u pay for that new 3500 Laramie mega cab truck, well that’s different. No sir it isnt
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

8. Member
    right

9. Member
    Mercury makes huge profit margins on their parts! I can't imagine them having $20 at most in that gasket possibly less than $10. I know a few years ago valvoline was asked to make the gallons of premium plus oil for $8 a gallon bottled... They told them to go pound sand!
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

10. Member
    We use all royal purple oil in everything, service vehicles, personal, lawnmowers tractors etc. pricing has doubled for bulk since
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

I thought parts were high when I had my Rudes but Merc has them beat.
    Twin 200 2005 Mercury Optimax Engines
    1B191661
    1B160290

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I thought parts were high when I had my Rudes but Merc has them beat.
    its the gold primmer under the PHANTOM BLACK paint that does it

Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    its the gold primmer under the PHANTOM BLACK paint that does it
    Theres gold in them there engines!
    Twin 200 2005 Mercury Optimax Engines
    1B191661
    1B160290

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Having just replaced one of these yesterday (it had the newer-style, expensive gasket- had to come off for crank seals)... I can tell you it was worth AT LEAST $75 (to me) to not have to fight with the old concrete-based gasket we used to get. SO much easier to clean up the surfaces!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

15. Member
    You have to look at it like this. Manufacture builds 10 million engines, cost per item will pennies on the dollar due to amount manufactured. Manufacture builds 100k engines, parts are going to cost more. Example in numbers might be off but theory is correct. LIke using a CAD that first one going to cost ya

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Having just replaced one of these yesterday (it had the newer-style, expensive gasket- had to come off for crank seals)... I can tell you it was worth AT LEAST $75 (to me) to not have to fight with the old concrete-based gasket we used to get. SO much easier to clean up the surfaces!
    Trying to get a paper gasket off takes 3x the time! I love when I see a Pro XS gasket haha.

Anything 2 stroke related will continue to rise in price. Don't look at the price of a compressor or Direct injector nowadays...

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Or after Jan. 1st.