Merc Smartcraft Gauge

This summer I had my smartcraft gauge alarm go off randomly during a tournament. While trying to figure out what the alarm was for and messing with it I believe I accidentally reset the darn thing and now my motor hours went to zero on the gauge and they are not coming through correctly. When I got the motor repaired the mechanic said he didn't know how to get the correct hours back onto the gauge. Is this something that can be corrected and pulled from the motor again or am I stuck with it forever being wrong now. Thanks for any help.

2. Member
    Would really help if you told us which Smartcraft gauge (there are several) and what engine is involved.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please identify your engine and serial number, and which type of Smartcraft Instrument you have. If unsure... a Picture may help.

Engine hours are stored in the engine PCM, and cannot be "reset". If it's showing zero hours- you may need to check to see if RPM's and other data are coming through "accurately".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Please identify your engine and serial number, and which type of Smartcraft Instrument you have. If unsure... a Picture may help.

Engine hours are stored in the engine PCM, and cannot be "reset". If it's showing zero hours- you may need to check to see if RPM's and other data are coming through "accurately".
    Sorry for the lack of details in my initial post. My smartcraft gauge looks just like this:

My motor is a 2006 Mercury Optimax 200 HP 2 stroke. Serial # 1B256584

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    System Monitor.

Can you confirm that you're getting engine RPM's, voltage, etc?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    System Monitor.

Can you confirm that you're getting engine RPM's, voltage, etc?
    I am pretty certain everything was coming through just fine after the reset, except for the correct hours.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Tim- that would be EXTREMELY unusual. Please verify.

8. Member
    Tim- that would be EXTREMELY unusual. Please verify.
    Unfortunately my boat is in storage and I can't verify anything at the moment. We are essentially all froze over here in Minnesota already. I was pretty sure the only thing that wasn't working after the reset was the hours coming though correctly. Are there solutions to the problem either way? If I am wrong and the rpm's weren't coming through either what should I do? I really appreciated your help!

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you are receiving all data items EXCEPT engine hours (ie: Engine hours reset to zero as you stated)- it's either a PCM or a Smartcraft Instrument failure.

Odds of ONLY the engine hours scrambling (and all other items work just fine) are probably up there in the 4-digits (to one).