Frog rod recommendations.

Looking for a frog rod to fish the Jackall Kaera, Jackall Gavacho frogs, (smaller frogs in general). Don't fish slop. I did buy a Expride 173XHb. More rod than I will ever need for my style (will be selling). Looking for a 7'3-7'6" in length. Med heavy to heavy fast action. Use in open water or grass edges. Have read the 7'3" Helium MH is a good frog rod. Thoughts?

2. Member
    ALX Toadface works for me.

Dobyns 743 or ALX Toadface. If you throw lighter frogs, I think the Dobyns is slightly better.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    Toadface has the MH-Fast tip to cast longer distances with hollow body frogs or lighter Toads. Helps in walking the dog action too. But also has the Heavy rated backbone to get fish out of the weeds. Tough to find a MH-Heavy combo like that IMO.

5. Member
    I also own the Expride XH and I also found it too stout for my open water frog fishing. It still casts great and walks a frog perfectly. I got an Expride 7’2 MH and like it better for what you are trying to do. I wanted something that could be more versatile when I’m not throwing a frog.

I have thrown Kaeras on the Megabass Perfect Pitch in both OrochiXX abd Perfect Pitch models. Both do very well with ii.

Dobyns 735c champion is a great smaller frog stick with a good tip for walking smaller frogs. You could also step down to the heavy Expride instead of the xh. Thats a great rod too.

8. Member
    Thanks for every one's suggestion. Going to give a Phenix K2 736 a try. Will use for multiple technics.

9. Member
    Falcon Cara Amistad 7”3 Hvy …
    very parabolic, extremely versatile
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

ZOLO Toadface is US made and one heck of a frog rod. It's also extremely versatile. Out of 17 rods in my boat, 5 are Toadfaces and I hardly get to fish a frog anymore.

Verified Review:
    The zolo toadface rod is an absolute machine! I bought it mostly for frogging but Alex explained to me that this was the 4x4 of their lineup and it was more than capable as a jig rod, a swim jig rod, buzz bait, etc. it is definitely a great platform for all the above, ALX nailed it for sure!

Toadface fan here. I throw those Gavacho frogs alot. Fantastic for that as well as all my other frogs...Spro, OSP, Teckel. Semi open flooded brush and trees mostly.

The Toadface is an absolute workhorse.
    Last edited by 86 inches; 11-06-2022 at 09:54 AM.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

If you haven't already bit the bullet, I'd skip the K2 and just grab a Feather 7'3" XH. It's absolutely perfect for what you're wanting to do with it--I throw the Kaera far and away more than any other frog with the Gavacho being my second favorite, and it handles them awesome. Of course it's way underpowered compared to other companies' XH powers. It fishes like a MH+ to H in my opinion. Though the K2 is insane, the Feather isn't far off in sensitivity and costs 1/3 as much. Plus you don't need K2 sensitivity for a frog rod.

I also use a Feather 73XH for my dragging rod (C-rigs, football jigs) and have used it for pitching and flipping 3/8 - 3/4 Texas rigs and 1/2- 1 oz jigs. Awesome for all of the above. I suppose the K2 would be better if you wanted a rod for all three, though that'd be a tough pill to swallow for a rod primarily getting used for frogs for me.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

13. Member
    Another vote for the champion 735

14. Member
    Ok, so I did finally receive the Phenix K2 736 and yes, it's way too nice to be used as just a frog rod. Will find a better use for it. I will be looking at the Phenix Feather 73XH as DrewFlu33 suggested. Also, the Toad Face. I have read the Kistler Helium 7'3" MH is a good frog. Any thoughts on that rod? Not a Dobyns fan, sorry but thanks for all the suggestions.

15. Member
    ALX Toadface will be nice for your needs.

It's underpowered for fishing slop (in my opinion), but I like mine for more open stuff.
    2023 Puma STS