Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Corn harvest around here

Amazing orchestra. Over a square mile around my property and done in 8 hours or so. Only one combine and one tractor with a huge grain trailer catching up after dumping. Several semi's all positioned strategically. I don’t think the combine ever stopped once. Just amazing to see how they get it done. I grew up on a small farm with inadequate equipment (affordable) and it woulda taken us weeks to take that field off. Of course we didn’t really have a good plan. Things have come a long way since the 70’s.

2. Member
    Yeah it exciting. I guess. A view from the front porch.

20221024_162640.jpg
    20221024_162416.jpg
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

3. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    There are mountains (quite literally) of corn and soybeans under tarps at elevators around here.

We've had pretty much perfect conditions for getting the crop out of the field. Moving it up- or downriver, though... not so much.
    Who controls John Gill?

Been hammering down since early September around me. Neat to watch, from the big boys in the business to the small guy.

My house is on a bluff overlooking a big creek bottom. Big a$$ field for Southern Indiana. The farmer, one of the largest around rolls in and puts 2 combine s in 2 tracked tractor and gravity wagons and has a continuous line of semis. They'll run all day, sometimes past midnight and done and on to the next field. It's an amazing operation to watch.

5. Member
    I don't mind when the farmer who's fields back up to my lot grows soybeans. But when he plants corn I don't know what he does but during harvest I get a bunch of corn cobs in my yard. They won't be harvesting for a couple of days now since we got over a inch of rain today.
    John the Garage Doorman

6. Member
    They’ve been harvesting soybeans and potatoes around me lately.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorman1 View Post
    I don't mind when the farmer who's fields back up to my lot grows soybeans. But when he plants corn I don't know what he does but during harvest I get a bunch of corn cobs in my yard. They won't be harvesting for a couple of days now since we got over a inch of rain today.
    Just part of the deal living in the country. I can run the mower over the cobs. No problem, from what I read on here sometimes it’s better than living near a neighbor!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by btlsranger View Post
    Just part of the deal living in the country. I can run the mower over the cobs. No problem, from what I read on here sometimes it’s better than living near a neighbor!
    I actually live in a neighborhood the farmer really was not happy when our development was put in. I've been told he will never sale his land to any developers the farm has been in his family for over 150 years.
    John the Garage Doorman

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorman1 View Post
    I actually live in a neighborhood the farmer really was not happy when our development was put in. I've been told he will never sale his land to any developers the farm has been in his family for over 150 years.
    His heirs might sell it though.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    But if they locked it into preservation for 25 years plus?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    Don't think so the son farms with the old man.
    John the Garage Doorman

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by btlsranger View Post
    Amazing orchestra. Over a square mile around my property and done in 8 hours or so. Only one combine and one tractor with a huge grain trailer catching up after dumping. Several semi's all positioned strategically. I don’t think the combine ever stopped once. Just amazing to see how they get it done. I grew up on a small farm with inadequate equipment (affordable) and it woulda taken us weeks to take that field off. Of course we didn’t really have a good plan. Things have come a long way since the 70’s.
    I have been in your area during harvest running up US-30 coming back from Fort Wayne getting a dump truck. Corn for miles on both side of the highway watching a team of combines with huge grain trailers following. It's great when the Lord blesses your hard work with a great harvest.

All farmers are bustin the soybeans now. You can see the dust clouds everywhere.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fx20 2011 View Post

20221024_162640.jpg
    20221024_162416.jpg
    re: pic #1 can You confirm.. Are those Jesus' Naming Day lights? .... Did i miss the turkey again?

Congrats! on being 'first up'

Inversion means We™ are on the 'right path'... * Not everyOne will get this, so if You don't it isn't a 'knock'

Stay Hydrated...

15. Member
    Kind of like a vapor trail from a jet, but this one isn’t moving quite as fast!![IMG]application screenshot[/IMG]

One of my kids favorite times was getting to ride in the combine with our local farmer. We were having a fire and he was doing it at night and stopped and asked if the kids wanted a ride they sill talk about it.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fx20 2011 View Post

20221024_162640.jpg
    20221024_162416.jpg
    Is that a clock on the side of the barn in picture 2? Beautiful view!
    Just be kind to one another. It really is that simple.

https://www.instagram.com/the_lenny_draper/

18. Member
    It is one of the seasons and I really miss working on farms.

19. Member
    Everything around me is cotton there running 24/7 only stop to switch drivers

20. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Been going like gangbusters around here. Hasn’t rained in ages and the dust is unbelievable. People are keeping a tractor with a disc attached near unharvested fields in case of fire.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast