Bad Control Board? Steering issue Minn-Kota Terrova

Have a 24v 80lb Minn Kota I Pilot.

Recently the motor pegged to high speed while using it and wouldn't respond to any controls. I ordered a new control board and swapped it out. I now have the motor operating but don't get any response from the steering controls. Not sure if I had a faulty replacement control board or if something is causing issue and has possibly shorted out my new control boards steering?

When I test the control board with my multi-meter I am not getting any voltage from the control board steering leads.

When I apply 24v directly to the motor side steering leads, the motor turns fine (both directions)

I tested amperage on the steering leads and it shows its pulling .26 and .23 amps depending on direction ( i know it shouldn't exceed 1.5 amps). Does this reading seem normal or am I possibly measuring amps wrong

2. Member
    The fact you are not getting any voltage reading from the control board tells me you have a bad Control board.
    What are you using to steer the motor? Foot Pedal or Remote? Is it BT? Download the I-pilot app. Connect your phone via BT if it is BT. Open the app. It may say an update is needed. Allow it to update. When the phone app is done try to move via the phone. If it does not work then find a foot pedal and try it. If neither the remote, phone or foot pedal will move the steering then you have a bad control board.

3. Member
    It is an older I-pilot. I only have a remote, no foot pedal . No Bluetooth. I am thinking control board is bad also,. Just worried about putting another one in and same thing happening if something else is causing this to short out the board?

4. Member
    If you had a foot pedal it would confirm a bad control board. It is very possible that the steering module is bad and it took out the control board, but I think you disproved that. Try to barrow a foot pedal. Make sure it is non bluetooth. I have seen where the control board will not respond to the remote and it ended up being the remote. If you can barrow them I would try both a remote and a foot pedal

5. Member
    Yeah, Ill see if I can find a pedal somewhere to borrow. I just tested amp draw again and still getting the same readings. Multimeter set to 10A and running the current though the meter i am getting .21-.23 A and .26A in opposite direction. Seems low but definitely below the spec and shouldn't be causing the issue. Leaning towards just bad luck of getting a bad control board?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffro22 View Post
    Yeah, Ill see if I can find a pedal somewhere to borrow. I just tested amp draw again and still getting the same readings. Multimeter set to 10A and running the current though the meter i am getting .21-.23 A and .26A in opposite direction. Seems low but definitely below the spec and shouldn't be causing the issue. Leaning towards just bad luck of getting a bad control board?
    I miss that in a previous post. That amp draw is good for that unit. An second remote or a foot pedal will solve the issue. I have one here in the shop, but you in SC.
    A new remote is around $170. Part# 2994170. good luck

7. Member
    I Thanks! I do have a spare remote and just tried that and not getting any repsonce from the steering of auto pilot- anchor buttons with it either

No steering response at all.

8. Member
    The best thing now try to find a non BT foot Pedal and this will verify that the board is bad.

9. Member
    Thanks, I am hoping to find a foot pedal somewhere. The company that sold the board is recommending swapping out the drive housing before i install a new board. Will let you know what I find out

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    The best thing now try to find a non BT foot Pedal and this will verify that the board is bad.
    will any minn kota foot pedal work as long as it isn’t Bluetooth? Is it specific to voltage? Thanks

11. Member
    Got a foot pedal and verified the same issue. I have prop speed control but no steering. No voltage from steering leads. So thinking that safely eliminates the head.

So looks like I need a new control board. Either had bad luck of getting a defective board from factory or something on my motor is causing the damage to the new board? Do I replace the steering motor also to be safe? Minnkota tech seems to think the amp draw is pretty low (i wouldn't think that would cause an issue)

Even through its below the max amp draw spec, it seems like the only thing that would short out the steering circuit? Anything else to check? Don't want to put another board in and have same thing happen.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffro22 View Post
    Got a foot pedal and verified the same issue. I have prop speed control but no steering. No voltage from steering leads. So thinking that safely eliminates the head.

So looks like I need a new control board. Either had bad luck of getting a defective board from factory or something on my motor is causing the damage to the new board? Do I replace the steering motor also to be safe? Minnkota tech seems to think the amp draw is pretty low (i wouldn't think that would cause an issue)

Even through its below the max amp draw spec, it seems like the only thing that would short out the steering circuit? Anything else to check? Don't want to put another board in and have same thing happen.
    I know it is more money, but I would change the steer module along with the board. It is hard to say if this will happen again with the new board. I bet is it will. It has happen twice, so it will happen again. The steering module could have an internal problem and it does not occur until you are on the water. You should get some sort of credit for the new board that is bad.

As long as the foot pedal is not Bluetooth it will work on the terrova. Meaning an Ulterra pedal will wok just like the original terrova foot pedal. Just to test the new board.

13. Member
    IMG_5276.jpg

update:

I opened up the drive housing and swapped out the steering motor. I broke on SS allenhead bolt off due to corrosion, but other than that inside of housing looked pretty good. Got everything cleaned and buttoned back up. Installed another new control board and Everything is working fine now.

New motor pulls almost exact same amount of Amps as the old one. I didn't see anything suspect with old motor. and they both sound about the same when operating

Still not convinced it was the steering motor, I think maybe i had a faulty board. Surprised the don't have an inline fuse for protection of the board from the steering motor

if this helps anyone else, the amp draw on the new motor was between .23-.26
    Last edited by jeffro22; 10-30-2022 at 05:57 PM.