Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Thamelau View Post

Kind of like how the subsidies that are given to the electric vehicles are the worst thing this country has ever done, but no one will talk about the subsidies given to big oil. The double standard/hypocrisy is what is most irritating.

Or the massive subsidies given to pro bass fishermen. It’s disgusting.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post

Or the massive subsidies given to pro bass fishermen. It’s disgusting.
    I really don't understand what you are talking about. You keep bringing up this every conversation. I agree, subsidies and tax breaks should be separated out. Both industries are receiving both, no?

I really don't understand what you are talking about. You keep bringing up this every conversation. I agree, subsidies and tax breaks should be separated out. Both industries are receiving both, no?
    You seriously cannot see the difference?

You keep equivocating the two in every conversation, parroting the media's hit-pieces on oil corporations. It's naive and ignores the realities of the individual industries.

Here's the quote taken from a link posted, that I originally took exception to. After throwing out some numerical statistics it was stated:

Quote Originally Posted by Gsmith223 View Post
    "First, let’s consider just the direct subsidies for fossil fuel production—money that flows directly from the government to fossil fuel companies to support activities like exploration, extraction, and development........and most of the subsidies are in the form of tax deductions and exemptions and other “obscure tax loopholes and accounting tricks” that result in massive avoided costs for fossil fuel producers."
    "Massive avoided costs"? In other words, avoided costs are profit the government didn't take. Those are subsidies apparently, in the fossil fuel industry.

Is this the case in the EV industry? Or, are subsides given to the EV industry done to create a market and profitablity that doesn't (or didn't) exist in the first place?

I think it's not the fact that it did, it is the giant deal thrown about it, when the same things happen to ICE vehicles and it's no more than a local news story.

Kind of like how the subsidies that are given to the electric vehicles are the worst thing this country has ever done, but no one will talk about the subsidies given to big oil. The double standard/hypocrisy is what is most irritating.
    I'm happy to talk abut oil bidness subsidies, but even if I wasn't, I don't see how subsidies to the oil industry makes it OK to subsidize the EV industry. If one is wrong, then it does not justify another right?

To be fair, ICE vehicles have been blowing up since at least WWII as this historical video shows:

We'd all be speaking German if it wasn't for those strategically parked Ford Pintos.

We should scour the junkyards for Pintos and ship them to the Ukranians. Who needs HIMARS when a strategically parked Pinto will do the job.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    No ICE gas ever caught fire.
    you can put out a gas fire dummy

This might make all this conversation make more sense. I don’t know the number, but I’d have to say that EV’s comprise a very small percentage of all vehicles on the road right now, but seem to be more likely to catch fire, or should I say, a more serious fire that draws more attention by the media. Anyone know what percentage of vehicles are EV?

10. Member
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Quote Originally Posted by bhjr. View Post
    This might make all this conversation make more sense. I don’t know the number, but I’d have to say that EV’s comprise a very small percentage of all vehicles on the road right now, but seem to be more likely to catch fire, or should I say, a more serious fire that draws more attention by the media. Anyone know what percentage of vehicles are EV?
    They are not more likely to catch fire. When they they do they are harder to put out but ice vehicles are likely to catch fire over evs.

12. Member
    What does a loose steering bolt/nut have anything to do with it being a EV or not? How many Hummer EV owners plug into a standard household plug to charge? I call this article a bait job!

Quote Originally Posted by juice780 View Post
    They are not more likely to catch fire. When they they do they are harder to put out but ice vehicles are likely to catch fire over evs.
    Do you have numbers on that ? Is that by percentage or raw number ?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ProVle View Post
    What does a loose steering bolt/nut have anything to do with it being a EV or not? How many Hummer EV owners plug into a standard household plug to charge? I call this article a bait job!
    While a bad nut/bolt isn't just an ev problem, it may be a sign that in order to build to meet demand quickly, they may not be necessarily getting the best part suppliers.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post
    Do you have numbers on that ? Is that by percentage or raw number ?
    Yes unlike some on here I have facts to back up my claims not stuff you read on Facebook. https://www.kbb.com/car-news/study-e...est-car-fires/ https://www.idtechex.com/en/research...blematic/25749

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juice780 View Post
    Yes unlike some on here I have facts to back up my claims not stuff you read on Facebook. https://www.kbb.com/car-news/study-e...est-car-fires/ https://www.idtechex.com/en/research...blematic/25749
    Seems like legit data, EV's 25 per 100k, ICE 61x more, yet Hybrids are 139x more likely to catch fire. Is that the ice or ev side of the hybrids catching fire at such a high rate, just asking?
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

Quote Originally Posted by okhawg View Post
    Seems like legit data, EV's 25 per 100k, ICE 61x more, yet Hybrids are 139x more likely to catch fire. Is that the ice or ev side of the hybrids catching fire at such a high rate, just asking?
    Idk I thought that was odd maybe some weird combination of the 2.

18. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by okhawg View Post

I think it's due to the type of battery the hybrids use. EVs including hybrids use varying types of batteries. Not all lithiums are the same. Some lithium battery designs are more prone to fire risk.
    Thanos was the hero

19. Member
    let me get this straight, so I can understand-- since I'm just a simple man.

Article is about how the Flood Waters and EV are a bad mix it appears and once they catch on fire they are next to impossible to put out.

SO in the BBC WAY, that becomes:

So What? It's not like ICE (internal combustion engines, which if using the same naming could be called GV or DV) don't catch on fire too?

And GV's catch on fire much more than EV's so there.

and This may be from an old story from NJ and Not from Florida

and Everything EV is good and if you don't think so your an idiot

and You just hate on EV's

and you just wait, EV's will take over the world!!!

OR-

Maybe it's just about the simple fact that Lithium and Water do not mix very well and in Flood Conditions there is a much greater chance of them having a Reaction that causes them to Catch On Fire and Burn AND when that happens they are very hard to put out.

You decide.

20. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye1 View Post
    let me get this straight, so I can understand-- since I'm just a simple man.

Article is about how the Flood Waters and EV are a bad mix it appears and once they catch on fire they are next to impossible to put out.

SO in the BBC WAY, that becomes:

So What? It's not like ICE (internal combustion engines, which if using the same naming could be called GV or DV) don't catch on fire too?

And GV's catch on fire much more than EV's so there.

and This may be from an old story from NJ and Not from Florida

and Everything EV is good and if you don't think so your an idiot

and You just hate on EV's

and you just wait, EV's will take over the world!!!

OR-

Maybe it's just about the simple fact that Lithium and Water do not mix very well and in Flood Conditions there is a much greater chance of them having a Reaction that causes them to Catch On Fire and Burn AND when that happens they are very hard to put out.

You decide.

Lets ponder for a minute.................If as you say Lithium mixing with water causes the fire, then why would the fire department hose the cars down with water?

When lithium is exposed to water it's a violent reaction. Much more than just some smoking from the videos.

or maybe, just maybe, a slim barely non existent chance that the articles I referenced about the 12 volt systems of all cars being exposed to saltwater causes the fires is the reason for the fires.
    Thanos was the hero

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast