Banned

Filling screw holes on a white boat ??

Wanting to fill in old screw holes where graphs, puck etc were. Any tips on best gel coat repair kits? It’s a white boat. No flake.

2. Member

3. Member
    Yeah the white Marine Tex or JB Weld Marine...I've used both.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    Yeah the white Marine Tex or JB Weld Marine...I've used both.
    Curiuos which is easier to sand? I've used Marine Tex a bunch over the years, the only downside being itlike trying to sand cement.

5. Member
    Here's an odd solution which might work. There are places on all boats where the fiberglass is not visible normally. You can cut one piece out of that place and grind it up, mix it with resin and make a patch the same color as the boat. White isn't always the same color as white.

6. mikesxpress
    Lots of aftermarket goo available but using the same gelcoat that was used to make the boat is the best fix.

Do it the right way so it doesn't look like a Band-aide.

Before gel and finish.

After *Like it never happened.

7. Member
    White tub repair kit at hardware store.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jerzia View Post
    Curiuos which is easier to sand? I've used Marine Tex a bunch over the years, the only downside being itlike trying to sand cement.
    Probably JB Weld. I just used a ton of it on an aluminum river boat I built, it's an old Crestliner 1650 and it had tons of screw holes. In this case aesthetics aren't a big concern...Mike's right with fiberglass, a gelcoat repair kit will look the best IF you know what you're doing. If you don't it won't.

I also used it on my P4 which is white for a handful of screw holes and for me it looks just fine. You have to get close to notice.

9. Member
    Used Marine tex on mine. Looks great.

10. Member
    Get the gel coat from the mfg if possible, if not try to match it, as close as you can ! Clean the holes with a drill ! Put tape under the holes, fill with thickened resin! Leave a slight recess, let it cure, use a little sand paper in the depression, and wipe with acetone ! Mix up a little gel coat , and dab it up so it is a little higher than the surrounding finish ! Let it cure ! Then sand with progressively finer sand paper until you get to 1500 to 2000 grit ! Wax it your done ! Sounds like a lot of work, but I did mine in 2 days ! 1 to do the filling job, and gel coat, and the second to fair it in ! Easy breezy !

Quote Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
    Get the gel coat from the mfg if possible, if not try to match it, as close as you can ! Clean the holes with a drill ! Put tape under the holes, fill with thickened resin! Leave a slight recess, let it cure, use a little sand paper in the depression, and wipe with acetone ! Mix up a little gel coat , and dab it up so it is a little higher than the surrounding finish ! Let it cure ! Then sand with progressively finer sand paper until you get to 1500 to 2000 grit ! Wax it your done ! Sounds like a lot of work, but I did mine in 2 days ! 1 to do the filling job, and gel coat, and the second to fair it in ! Easy breezy !
    This is a more correct way to fix your issue/issues…
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

12. Member
    White is actually hard to match and will show mistakes as dirt settles into cracks, dips, etc…