Anyone know wetsuits?

Have an opportunity to do some snorkeling this fall in waters that are only sorta warm (70's). Was thinking of picking up a "shorty" suit to help keep my core warm and extend my time in the water. Is there anything special I should be looking for? I'm thinking I'll just pick up one online for $60-$70

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    Have an opportunity to do some snorkeling this fall in waters that are only sorta warm (70's). Was thinking of picking up a "shorty" suit to help keep my core warm and extend my time in the water. Is there anything special I should be looking for? I'm thinking I'll just pick up one online for $60-$70
    I know about them for surfing purposes only. I've never snorkels or scuba. What do u need to know? 70s is pretty warm water. I would probably trunk it in 70 or above water. Especially surfing because it's a crazy workout. Just for reference I surf a lot in winter(socal) and mostly wear a 3/2 and booties in low 60 degree water.

3. Member
    Having worn and bought wetsuits for four decades… buy new. Anyone telling you they didn’t pee in their suit, isn’t be honest. Don’t buy used ��

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwags13 View Post
    I know about them for surfing purposes only. I've never snorkels or scuba. What do u need to know? 70s is pretty warm water. I would probably trunk it in 70 or above water. Especially surfing because it's a crazy workout. Just for reference I surf a lot in winter(socal) and mostly wear a 3/2 and booties in low 60 degree water.
    Yeah, I don't really know what I don't know. I just figure bobbing around in water that's 25 degrees cooler than your body temp is gonna lower your core after a while. I've snorkeled alot in the Caribbean and up here when the water is warmer. Depends on the weather but they say probably low 70's

5. Member
    Competitive swimmers swim in 78 degrees. They are exerting a lot of energy. 70's can be cold, especially for extended periods!
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

6. Member
    I would not go anything less than 3mm, probably at least a 4/3. But if you think you'll use it a little later in the season go up to a 5 or 6 mm. Dont skim on cost, a good wetsuit is worth its price.

7. Member
    I’ve hopped in our pool and swam at 78 degrees…it’s cold! You have to keep moving at that temp.

8. Member
    5 mil is a good all around wetsuit. Warm enough for cooler water, but won't cook you in warmer water. You can always grab it around the neck and let cool water in if you get too warm.

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    A good wetsuit adds some buoyancy and 70 water is cold enough to justify a wetsuit think you’d enjoy your trip more with one.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JB134 View Post
    Having worn and bought wetsuits for four decades… buy new. Anyone telling you they didn’t pee in their suit, isn’t be honest. Don’t buy used ��

How else are you gonna keep warm?