Thread: RPM question

RPM question

2B401558

OK so re-powering later this month from 2 stroke to the 4 stroke. Running a 24 fury and getting around 5,800-5,900 wot, came from Ranger with this prop, and I love it! Dealer says I will need to go to 23 fury to get full 6,200 rpm wot. My question is why does one need to reach the top of the rpm range? I understand the concept of not wanting to lug a motor down, but isn't 5,800rpm +/- well within the top end range? It's not like I'm gonna run my motor at 6,200 rpm very dang often regardless of prop. Interested in your thoughts??
    2018 Ranger 521C, 2023 Merc 250 Pro XS 4S (3B261295), 36V Ultrex, 10" Atlas, Power Poles, Lowrance 12 Carbon, and 2-12 Lives.

2. Member
    if you cannot reach max rpms, you will be lugging the motor. better to get a 23p
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    i got a 23 on a Falcon 205 and still cant get to 6200. Ive given up and just drive it the way it is, 5800 max. Still get low 70s, enough dickin around with it, good enough.

My bet is a 23 will still be 1” too tall to hit 6200 constantly
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thommo59 View Post
    My bet is a 23 will still be 1” too tall to hit 6200 constantly
    I would concur. You probably would need a 22P to get it up into the 6100+ RPM range.

Propping the engine to the top of it's RPM range is much like selecting the correct gear in a straight-drive vehicle for the hill you're climbing. It's just about 100 x's more important.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    I would concur. You probably would need a 22P to get it up into the 6100+ RPM range.

Propping the engine to the top of it's RPM range is much like selecting the correct gear in a straight-drive vehicle for the hill you're climbing. It's just about 100 x's more important.
    Ok but that's the crux of my question; why is it so important to get the last few hundred rpm? Is a 4 stroke designed to run balls out all the time like 2 strokes were? And how is running a few hundred rpm below the max going to harm the engine long term? I'm asking all of this because I don't understand ? In my mind being able to get the desired speed while staying slightly under max rpm would be better on my motor.

I mean I can raise my plate and get to 6200 easy; the rpm's I quote are when my boat is set up to get max top end.

Thanks in advance
    2018 Ranger 521C, 2023 Merc 250 Pro XS 4S (3B261295), 36V Ultrex, 10" Atlas, Power Poles, Lowrance 12 Carbon, and 2-12 Lives.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Your propeller is the final "tweak" in the proper gearing of the engine. If the engine cannot reach the top of it's power band, then it is improperly "geared" (propped) from IDLE all the way to WOT. And... since peak torque and hp are made right at the top of the RPM band, you're leaving POWER on the table.

Over-propping an engine can lead to poor performance and eventual engine damage (AND damage caused by improper setup/propping is NOT covered under Warranty).

Also see: https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1198338

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. mikesxpress
    Mick I had one of the 1st 250 V8'S and had to wade thru the propping thing on my own. Using my level one Smartcraft monitor to judge the effects of rpms, trim, and Jack plate height lead me to the following results:

Your 2 stroke props will not work on this engine.
    A Fury 3 blade 23P with all PVS holes plugged and the box prop sent to the shop for true pitch work achieved the 6200 rps during summer months. Don't expect a box prop to do this!
    Recording before/after Smartcraft readings showed the fuel economy on the V8 increased by 4% with the true pitched prop running at optimum cruise settings of 4200 rps/44 mph. The engine performance across all power bands also increased based on my observations. Most of us rarely run WOT for any extended periods but this engine must be propped to achieve 6200 rps at WOT.

9. Member
    Thanks for all of this information concerning the 4 strokes. I just blew my 2001 225 Opti and repowering with a 2023 225hp Pro XS, however Mercury told me that I can use my old 25 tempest + to brake in the new engine, will the information I get lead me to the proper prop? Or is this a trial issue with a number of props?

Thank you
    Luc

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassseeker View Post
    Thanks for all of this information concerning the 4 strokes. I just blew my 2001 225 Opti and repowering with a 2023 225hp Pro XS, however Mercury told me that I can use my old 25 tempest + to brake in the new engine, will the information I get lead me to the proper prop? Or is this a trial issue with a number of props?

Thank you
    Luc
    what boat would help? 25 going to be too much prop likely
    Last edited by mactlman; 10-09-2022 at 10:55 AM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    what boat would help 25 going to be too much prop likely
    It's a 2001 ranger 520 VX

A few of us around here have went from 23 fury’s to 23 tempests. Little bit more rpm and much better when loaded
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Thank you
    Luc
    I would not recommend that prop for break-in, or otherwise. Get something known to be close to appropriate and run it for break-in... those first 3 hours (especially) are EVER so critical to the longevity and health of the engine!

14. Member
    Mercury has a prop selector on their website: https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...or/#!/step-one

When I repowered, the shop put a 24 Fury on it and right now my top speed is 68.5 with RPMs at 5620. If I had more lake I could have gotten to 70 I believe but I doubt the RPMs would've gone up another 580. The Mercury prop selector says I should have a 21 or 22 prop depending on if I want better hole shot or top speed, I just don't have $800 right now.
    2000 Ranger 518vx - 2019 Mercury Pro xs 200

15. Member
    That prop selector stops at year 2021

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That prop selector stops at year 2021
    Same models- and really doesn't matter as Mercury doesn't actually use "years" anyway. That's there simply for the simplicity for consumers.