Eel Grass in George/River

I had a long conversation with FWC biologist yesterday regarding submerged aquatic vegetation (eel grass).

While I was aware of the planted enclosures on George, I was not aware of the unplanted enclosures. It seems that the SAV grows just about as readily in planted or unplanted enclosures.

The biologists also found that if they move the enclosure exposing any vegetation, it is almost immediately stripped (eaten) by a host of critters including turtles, birds, and manatees.

The plan is to hopefully enclose more and larger areas to try to balance gains and losses until reestablished. One day maybe the grass comes back.

Wonder how the highwater from Hurricane Ian is gonna affect these planted areas?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM64 View Post
    I had a long conversation with FWC biologist yesterday regarding submerged aquatic vegetation (eel grass).

While I was aware of the planted enclosures on George, I was not aware of the unplanted enclosures. It seems that the SAV grows just about as readily in planted or unplanted enclosures.

The biologists also found that if they move the enclosure exposing any vegetation, it is almost immediately stripped (eaten) by a host of critters including turtles, birds, and manatees.

The plan is to hopefully enclose more and larger areas to try to balance gains and losses until reestablished. One day maybe the grass comes back.
    Well they should of already knew that from way back when - when they did the RePlanting od eelgrass in Lake Monroe.

They planted and it would dissapear overnight. They found out that Turtles were eating it all. So they built large enclosures to protect it and would only remove them after it was well established.

Heck that was what, 1980's or so?

Then they killed it all with their Death Spray Patrols ever since about 2012.

4. Member
    They plant it in enclosures so they will know where to spray.

5. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG View Post
    Wonder how the highwater from Hurricane Ian is gonna affect these planted areas?
    They'll probably survive the high water, but how long/strong was Lk George a washing machine during Ian? Don't think they can survive very much of that.

I went down and checked my ramp (Monroe) and saw a bass school up a minnow in the parking lot. lol Unfortunately it'll be close to Christmas before the ramp reopens. Never seen it that high before.