Tilt switch is stuck - outboard keeps going up or down constantly

Hello everyone,

I have a 2000 225 Optimax, serial OT136125. About 2 months ago, the tilt switch at the outboard was stuck and it made the outboard go down constantly without me touching anything. If I wanted it to go up, then I had to use the tilt switch at the throttle lever at the helm. I then replaced it with a new Quicksilver Mercury switch. It worked ok for 2 months. Now, the outboard kept going up constantly. Since the tilt switch at the outboard is new for 2 months, is it possible that it went bad? Also, is it possible that either the tilt switch at the throttle lever is bad, or the trim motor is bad?
    Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If my bow panel switch gets real wet it will do the same thing. Trim motor is probably fine and it is trimming. Check all switches unplug a wire off of each one at time and see if issue stops.

22R

Allison XB2002 / Merc 150 XR6

3. Member
    look at relays also they stick
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Doubt it's the trim motor causing that (though it may not be in happy shape after all the over-running).

As suggested, check bow switches, console or control trim switches, and yes- even the cowling switch. Disconnecting the power from the switch is a good way to eliminate it as a possible cause.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Thanks everyone. What's the bow switch?

6. Member
    The bow switch if equipped is the trim switch located at the front of the boat. Most boats have 3 locations for trim switches. The motor, the throttle and the bow. Any of these switches can get stuck causing the motor to constantly trim. As others have mentioned isolate each one until the problem stops. I have pulled the up and down trim relays located in the motor and swapped them with each other first in order to make sure that the relay doesn’t have a stuck contact prior to troubleshooting the switches. Hope this helps. Take care
    Respectfully,
    Captain Rab
    V1CO 1:27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the
    world to put to shame the wise; and God has
    chosen the weak things of the world to put to
    shame the things which are mighty

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by captainrab View Post
    The bow switch if equipped is the trim switch located at the front of the boat. Most boats have 3 locations for trim switches. The motor, the throttle and the bow. Any of these switches can get stuck causing the motor to constantly trim. As others have mentioned isolate each one until the problem stops. I have pulled the up and down trim relays located in the motor and swapped them with each other first in order to make sure that the relay doesn’t have a stuck contact prior to troubleshooting the switches. Hope this helps. Take care
    Thank you.

8. Member
    Check the position of the bow mount cable when the motor is laying in the front cradle. There is a good chance that the cables are hitting the bow switch causing the motor to go up or down depending on which way the cable lays on the switch. Just look at the cable when it pulled up and see where the cables lay and I'll bet it hits the switch.

9. Member
    It looks like the switch on the throttle control shifter is stuck. I tried to turn the black knob on that shifter to see the inside, but it's stuck. Can anyone show me how to remove that black knob?

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Since there are a number of different controls out there, it would be best to see a picture of your control handle to identify it's type/model/make.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    Please see this picture with the switch at the top of the handle.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That's a classic! The old "paddle switch" was actually soldered to the wiring in the handle (been about 15 years since I did one).

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    That's a classic! The old "paddle switch" was actually soldered to the wiring in the handle (been about 15 years since I did one).
    Lol. :) I recall that sticky switch happened after I got the saltwater sprayed over it on a few trips. Should I pour freshwater into that switch to hopefully wash off, or should I pour salt-away solution (salt cleaning solution) into it?

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I'm not going to recommend pouring anything "into" that switch. Usually doesn't go well.

The Switch Part# is 8M0046008 (sorry- had to go back to the Archives Parts since it's a Pre-1995 control).

As I recall, the top cap peels away (it's glued as I recall).
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 10-09-2022 at 10:43 AM.

15. Member
    Thank you.

16. Member
    I ended up cutting the wires from the throttle shifter and installed a used motor switch at the helm. It works well. Basically, I'm using the same motor switches at 2 different locations. One is still at the motor, and the other one is at the helm. Lol.

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Was probably a lot easier than replacing the handle switch.