Probably Stupid and Unpopular But…..

So I’m a new owner of a 1992 Panterra II. It has 2-26 gallon gas tanks. Port side tank is the one the previous owner used and will be the only 1 I ever use. I’ll never ever put more than 20-26 gallons in the boat. My stupid and probably unpopular idea is to cut the top off the starboard fuel tank. I’ll use it as a storage area for motor oil, maybe a 3-5 gallon portable gas can (lawnmower type), tools, etc. I’m just wondering if anyone has ever done it, thought about it, and just how stupid of an idea it really is. Resale value and serious tournament buyers aren’t much of a factor on a 30 year old boat.
    Last edited by barbarian; 10-03-2022 at 09:19 PM.

2. Member
    can remove it likely. I read all basscats are designed so the fuel tanks can come out if needed without too much work. had a p3 and hated not having rear storage, considered the same thing
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    Cutting the top out of the tank would leave a built in box but I would make sure that the fuel tank plumbing is such that you could never get any flow of fuel from the other tank into your new "storage area" or perhaps have the actual fuel tank pick up air. I'm not sure how your fuel valves are set up, maybe port or starboard and maybe even both. set on starboard accidently or both would create an issue. If the valves leaked, even a little you might have an issue. Your idea is a pretty good idea, you just have to be sure about the implementation of it. Good Luck!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChooChooSnakeMan View Post
    Cutting the top out of the tank would leave a built in box but I would make sure that the fuel tank plumbing is such that you could never get any flow of fuel from the other tank into your new "storage area" or perhaps have the actual fuel tank pick up air. I'm not sure how your fuel valves are set up, maybe port or starboard and maybe even both. set on starboard accidently or both would create an issue. If the valves leaked, even a little you might have an issue. Your idea is a pretty good idea, you just have to be sure about the implementation of it. Good Luck!

Couple of really good points. Currently the tank switch actuator isn’t working but in the port location which is good. But that doesn’t mean some of what you mentioned isn’t possible.

5. Member
    I restored an '89 Sabre a few years ago that had 2 tanks, I didn't do it but it's not a horrible idea and actually something I though about but there's a couple of things to consider. First, they come out pretty easy. You'll have to probably take everything else out to get it out but it's just a few L brackets at the bottom. 2nd I'd get rid of all of the gas lines except the ones going to the tank you're using. Probably not a bad idea to replace the lines anyway. Last is what kind of motor do you have? Anything from that era is thirsty. I had a 96 Eyra with a Pro V and I could go through 20 gallons in a day of fishing real easy, especially fishing the upper Mississippi. The XR6 on the Sabre liked to eat too.

Me personally, I'd pull everything that's in there out, clean up the whole rigging compartment, fill in all of the screw holes that have happened over the years with Marine Tex and throw a couple of coats of bilge paint in there. Probably replace the pumps and hoses as well. Then re-do the battery layout so everything balanced better.

6. Member
    Would think the boat would be pretty balanced with you on one side and fuel on the other. When you starting adding weight to the starboard side, it may lean a little. I know I fish alone quite a bit and use the gas tanks to balance the boat.

7. Member
    Did it. Fit a 5 gallon gas can, gallon of oil and small tool box. Disconnected fuel diverter valve entirely and just connected fuel lines directly. Have a roll of seal that I’ll put around the opening to help with water. I’ll drill a couple of holes later if it becomes necessary
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Member

9. Member
    i would be a little bit worried about the gas can. Batteries and gas fumes are not a good combo.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger185 View Post
    i would be a little bit worried about the gas can. Batteries and gas fumes are not a good combo.
    Based this comment, wondering why you put a gas can in there if you will “never, ever put in more than 20-26 gallons.” Seems risky.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RonCat View Post
    Based this comment, wondering why you put a gas can in there if you will “never, ever put in more than 20-26 gallons.” Seems risky.
    No intention of bringing it. Just for the picture to see if it would fit.

12. Member
    hopefully no vapors will come out of the old tank and cause issues
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    hopefully no vapors will come out of the old tank and cause issues
    You could eat off the inside of that old tank. Been ultra cleaned.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
    Did it. Fit a 5 gallon gas can, gallon of oil and small tool box. Disconnected fuel diverter valve entirely and just connected fuel lines directly. Have a roll of seal that I’ll put around the opening to help with water. I’ll drill a couple of holes later if it becomes necessary
    Nice job, thanks for posting the pictures. I think you were wise to ditch the old fuel valves and connect to the single gas tank directly. How long did the cutting take?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChooChooSnakeMan View Post
    How long did the cutting take?
    Less than 5 minutes to do everything. Drew a line with marker to try and stay straight. Rounded the corners. Drilled 2 holes on each corner big enough for jig saw blade and cut. Actual cutting took less than 60 seconds