Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Where is the Drive?

I'll probably catch some flack for my view of this experience, but what has happened to the ambition and drive from individuals and businesses these days? My apologies in advance for the lengthy dissertation.

These are a couple of shots of our local Cad/GMC dealer when I took my truck in for service this morning. I've done business with them for many years and bought several new vehicles from them. My service writer is a top notch guy and always takes very good care of me. The sales side not so much, well, at least the last couple of years.

So the service guy gets my truck in the shop and I head to the show room to check out the latest. There are a total of four cars on the floor two of which are already sold awaiting delivery. I make two full passes across the floor stopping to look at some brochures and trying to garner some attention with practically licking the paint off of the sierra denali pictured. I was within 10' of six sales guys and two sales managers as I meandered around. Hmmm. Went back to the lounge had a cup of coffee and went back to the floor and did it all again plus walked the lot where they only had a few work truck models to look at. Came back through the lobby past the same sales guys to the lounge watched a little TV and then went to the showroom again. Made another pass. None of them even looked up and I couldn't stand it anymore. Walked up to the two sales managers and said excuse me, can you give me an idea of what you might have on order for 22/23 Sierra Denali's? One manager began checking his computer immediately and the other one (the boss) started in with oh it's going to be hit and miss on getting any of those anytime soon. The one on the computer piped in and said we've got five 22's on order and three of those are already sold and we have no idea when we're going to actually get them. You have a color and engine in mind. Yes, tricoat white with a 6.2. I have a white one on order with a 5.3. Probably will never get another 6.2 as those are being discontinued (or something to that affect?) Then the big guy said if you want to get anything at all you'll just have to place an order and wait.

I remained polite and in kind of a joking manner asked, good gosh man how are you keeping these sales guys employed and fed with no inventory? The big guy again, we had a staff of almost 20 sales guys but had to trim it down to 6 or 7 of our best guys. Me again remaining polite and respectful I said, best guys? In the past hour I walked this entire floor and your lot past everyone of you four times and not one of you thought to offer any assistance or ask if I needed any help. I said if anyone would had given me the time of day they would have learned that my 18 Denali with 30K miles on it that I bought new from you is in for service and that I am a prospective buyer for a 23 model. He starts apologizing profusely while the other manager signals one of the sales guys thats been sitting on his ass the whole time to come over and introduce himself with the all too common car sales guy pitch greeting. Too late, I was already walking away as I was telling the sales boss that I was in no way being derogatory, but only offering an observation from a customers perspective for his and his sales teams consideration. He continued to apologize as I continued to say no need and no worries. He still never took the opportunity to ask me if I was ready to make a trade with my truck.

I'm not trying to be petty, but I just don't get what has happened to peoples drive and ambition in providing customer service these days. It's not just these guys, it's everywhere. My wife hates it when I feel the need to speak up over crappy service. Anywhere. Because I will. I never raise my voice. I'm never impolite or disrespectful. I don't single an employee out and will usually ask to talk to the manager without drawing attention of the issue from others. I just ask the "have you considered" constructive criticism kind of questions as suggestions for improving their service. I was in sales for 35 plus years. If we received a call from a customer saying his feet hurt half of our team would call him to ask how they could help ease his pain. But heres the difference we (I) prided myself and our team on our sales and customer service skills to the point that if a customer had an issue, we were probably already aware of any potential dissatisfaction and calling him to resolve before he/she called us.

I don't know if what I'm witnessing more and more these days is just a lack of caring, lack of training or pride, ignorance, no situational awareness, or just not giving a shit about customer service. But complacency is rampant and appears to be the new norm. Or perhaps I'm just turning into a too critical grumpy old man. Go ahead and flame on if you wish. I can take it

Hard to see in the pictures but there are six sales guys in those cubicles with two managers set back behind them. One more thing FWIW. There was a time 40 years ago while between careers that I sold cars for about a year. We had 23 sales guys. If your tire hit the lot there would be 4 or 5 of us tripping over each other to be the first to have the opportunity to talk to you to the point that we hid between the cars and would jump in front of your car when you drove by Yep, we were everyones stereotype definition of your favorite car salesman. I had never sold cars before, but I left after a year with the salesman of the year award when I did.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You're subscribed to Randy B's youtube arent you?
    2019 BassCat Lynx 2019 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke - 2B573410
    "Reality Is Often Disappointing."

3. Banned
    someone post up the cliff notes

4. Member
    I would prefer they just leave me a lone. Ill let them know if I need to speak with them.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    Boomer complaining that no one wants to work anymore.

6. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Sounds like a car lot that I would prefer. I always hated going to a car lot and immediately be hounded by sales people. I would try and go to a lot on Sunday to avoid the salespeople. I'll go to the salesman when I'm ready to make a deal. If I'm there getting service, then I'm almost certainly not there to buy a new one.

Sales people have to deal with all kinds of customers. The kind that wants to look around in peace like me and ones like you who want the help immediately.
    Thanos was the hero

Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    Sounds like a car lot that I would prefer. I always hated going to a car lot and immediately be hounded by sales people. I would try and go to a lot on Sunday to avoid the salespeople. I'll go to the salesman when I'm ready to make a deal. If I'm there getting service, then I'm almost certainly not there to buy a new one.

Sales people have to deal with all kinds of customers. The kind that wants to look around in peace like me and ones like you who want the help immediately.
    Right, everyone I go in they want to talk to me even if I am just headed to the parts counter to get DEF.

Quote Originally Posted by Ckfishin View Post
    Boomer complaining that no one wants to work anymore.
    Boomer spends his days drinking free coffee and bothering people who still work....Boomer ends his dissertation by informing the reader that he was Salesman Of The Year in 1971.

9. Banned
    I once did a quick perusal of an Evelyn Wood Sped Reding...

#1) No accountability, none, anywhere along the line.

I have quite a bit more but like You, I'll watch to see where the flak lands..

i will leave You w/a quite funny anecdote. I recently trudged across the moat and started to do my grocery at ChinaMart™ (Walmart™) In my 18 years here in Fl. I've seen the uptick in the amount of "Florida Tumbleweeds™" rolling over/through the roads, lanes and byways of the State, the majority seem to be the slate grey toxins of ChinaMart™, for this reason I bring in my own canvas bags. The local CM™ is going through a 'face lift' (seems to be pushing SELF checkout, and when the buyer™ is a dolt, well,... Anyways, the Cashier started loaded a Tumbleweed and I ended leaving that bag when done w/shopping.

I go to the "Customer Service™" and await my turn w/my receipt in my hand. "Next!..." I'm beckoned. as I get to the counter she asks in a snotty tone "whats the problem?.." I explained and she then informed me that we'd need to 'check the book' She goes to the back counter and on the way back to the Service• desk she pulls out her phone and starts to text someone. Right in the middle of our interchange. I look behind me and there are 6 people in line, 1 older pissed off guy who was evidently "In the Navy™" the other 4 are on their tethers..

Once done, I asked who the Mgr. was and she says "She is my mgr..." and points to the Lady who she was showing the texts to, no the Store mgr. I ask... She looks around a bit and guess what? She points to the bearded clam that was doing some phone game....

#1 w/a bullet!!!!!

10. Member
    How many times have you heard people bitch about car salesmen hovering around like flies on shit. They probably know they get a bad rap for pestering people. If you wanted to actually talk about getting a new vehicle why didn’t you just go talk to a salesman? Instead you were testing them to see if they would kiss your ass trying to sell you something? And maybe they saw you bring your truck in for service and knew that you were just killing time? Imo I hate it when I drive through a car lot to look at something and have a salesman at my truck window in 3 seconds wanting to talk and get my phone number

11. Member
    If I were on a car lot and salesperson jumped out from between cars to pester me they would be the last to get my business.

12. Derek McCullough
    I must be one of those people because I am way to lazy/low drive to read all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ckfishin View Post
    You're subscribed to Randy B's youtube arent you?

Personally I like to be left alone to look around and will ask if I need any help.
    That being said I appreciate a simple, let me know if you have any questions and then leave me alone.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

We live in a world where no one will meet any one's expectations. Just move on when expectations are not met.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

16. Member
    6.2 engine is on hold I hear 5.3 or 3.0 diesel only options currently
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

17. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Haahaahaa. Too much comprehensive reading for some I guess. Point of my thoughts out loud lost completely but great replies.

On a positive note, I headed to Kohl's afterwards and picked up a nice new pair of NB's. No salesperson required

18. Member
    We revenly had an ownership change at my local GM dealer. When I take mine in for service the 2 or 3 salesmen nor the owner even say anything to me. Walk within 5 feet to get their coffee. Won't be buying my next one there.

19. Member
    i know several car salesman, all say they are making the most money they ever had currently selling cars. Tons of profit margin on used right now also
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    Boomer says if your feet hurt call him and he will send half of the sales force to see how they can ease your pain.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast