USPS prices went up today

Just shipped a few things at lunch. Priority flat rate boxes went up again. Might want to check if you are shipping anything out with them.

2. Member
    Picked up an antique stanley tools plane from great britain. Close to 50 for ebay shipping with all the frills added included customs etc. Another ships me 18th century wood planes for less than 10 economy. Once they switch carriers after overseas to usps the tracking appears. Most guys cover their buts and use the eBay shipping which costs 5x more. No option. I'm sure those rates will go up also.

The inflation is hitting the meat industry at point of sale. Guys I work for are not selling certain cuts due to increased costs.

3. Member
    Usps publicly advertises their rate increases, private carriers just set the rates as needed no hoopla & folks just pay up, let a stamp go up a nickel & you’d think people were getting food taken off their table.

Ain’t no cheap shipping anymore no matter what outfit you go with, diesel,, labor costs, all adds up quickly.

4. Member
    The USPS trucks average like 8 MPG. I’m shocked the rates are as low as they are.

Quote Originally Posted by mattmann7 View Post
    Picked up an antique stanley tools plane from great britain. Close to 50 for ebay shipping with all the frills added included customs etc. Another ships me 18th century wood planes for less than 10 economy. Once they switch carriers after overseas to usps the tracking appears. Most guys cover their buts and use the eBay shipping which costs 5x more. No option. I'm sure those rates will go up also.

The inflation is hitting the meat industry at point of sale. Guys I work for are not selling certain cuts due to increased costs.
    Nothing to do with shipping, but can I see a pic of the plane? Older Stanley planes and the quality of them absolutely facinate me!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmann7 View Post
    I don't ship much stuff but it always seems to be about 35 cents difference between Priority and Economy.

7. Member
    We get our mail 1 day a week right now since our carrier is on maternity leave. Maybe they can afford a replacement now

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizzou211 View Post
    Nothing to do with shipping, but can I see a pic of the plane? Older Stanley planes and the quality of them absolutely facinate me!
    I served two years as a pattern maker apprentice in 1979 to 81 including being laid off for a period. It was back before CNC automation. The guys in my shop were still processing wood with hand planes. I missed out on getting my time in to advance to journey man when work just flat out disappeared overseas. I am kind of reminiscing and learning to use hand planes. Sort of like finishing my degree. We used to contract work from stanley tools and many other firms local to them and in my dad's families hometown of Bristol Ct. I picked up an English made stanley 50 combination plane. I have close to 40 planes including most all the numbered wooden ones. I like the old wooden hand planes and found a supply in england that was inexpensive. My aim is to become fluent in sharpening and using them. I got a stanley 55 today. When I was self employed I worked painting on a project in a 200 year old home. The carpenter was using the 55 to match the moldings in the remodel inside and out. I bought the cutters a couple weeks ago. Beats drinking and smoking.

Last edited by mattmann7; 10-03-2022 at 10:10 PM.

9. Member
    Ups is presently outrageous, I need to overnight a package to Canada, 5k insurance, ups and fedex 140 just to cross border, any ideas
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassdge View Post
    We get our mail 1 day a week right now since our carrier is on maternity leave. Maybe they can afford a replacement now
    This is how it should be. I don't need my mail every day.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    The USPS trucks average like 8 MPG. I’m shocked the rates are as low as they are.
    Your car would too if it ran the same route

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DewRonInc View Post
    Ups is presently outrageous, I need to overnight a package to Canada, 5k insurance, ups and fedex 140 just to cross border, any ideas

Insurance not included your getting a bargain. My GF flew to Arizona Thursday and left her diabetes medicine in the fridge. I had to overnight it to Phoenix with a box that kept it cooled so the medicine wouldn't spoil. 176 for shipping and 20 for the box. The shipping price included 100 insurance. I dropped it at 4 PM Thursday and it was hand delivered before noon on Friday in Arizona. She took her shot on Saturday and left for San Diego Sunday which is why it had to be overnighted to Phoenix.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DewRonInc View Post
    Check with UPS via Pirateship.com

14. Member
    Shipping was 195 and just to cross border was 140,
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

Quote Originally Posted by Almag6 View Post
    Check with UPS via Pirateship.com