Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

trolling motor battery suggestions

I have a 24v minn kota trolling motor and my batteries are 2018. What would everyone suggest for a decent wetcell battery. I'm not interested in forking out for lithium just yet. Thanks

Walmart Everstart if you can find any.

3. Member
    ^^^^

Walmart EverStart Maxx29. Good reserve capacity, readily available if you need to replace/warranty one an d you can get them for around $100 each.

Screenshot_20221003_105639.jpg

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zero_cool View Post
    ^^^^

Walmart EverStart Maxx29. Good reserve capacity, readily available if you need to replace/warranty one an d you can get them for around $100 each.

^^^ THIS^^^
    Been using these for years.
    Allison XB-21 ProSport
    Yamaha 250 SHO
    Croxton Razor 4XL

5. Member
    I used Good Sam / Walmart before I bought lithium last May. Good luck

6. Member
    Not a fan of wet-cells personally…..you’ll get 6 years out of east penn/ deka/ duracell 31 AGMs.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zero_cool View Post
    ^^^^

great battery and price point use for my tool truck house batteries all the time for many many years now
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

8. Member
    Duracell from Batteries Plus

9. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Walmart Everstart Maxx 29's close by if you need to return and they do pretty good as long as they are maintained ,price point is good too
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

Duracell wet cells at Sam's Club were my choice before I went lithium. Same ones Batteries Plus has, just cheaper. They're made by East Penn which makes them Deka Marine Masters with different stickers. Prices have risen just a bit as they used to be available for $100, but at $118 now they're still a good buy. Batteries Plus sells them at $150.

The East Penns are as good as you can do with wet cells in my opinion, save for maybe Trojan, but then you're paying AGM prices for them.
    Last edited by DrewFlu33; 10-04-2022 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Added pricing info
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

11. Member
    For wet cell deep cycle I agree that Walmart 29s are hard to beat. Sure there are better batteries out there but for the price / value they are my choice. I run 3 of them for my Fortrex 101. As mentioned, they are wet cell so you have to take care of them. Recharge right after a trip, keep charged if not used, and check the water level.

I expect to get 4 to 5 years out of my wet cell trolling motor batteries and then I like to replace them. If I don't get 4 to 5 trouble free years out of them, I normally don't buy that brand and look for something else. Years past, I've had good luck with Voyagers, Die Hard (last set didn't last as expected) and now am using Duracells (good, so far). I know plenty of guys that have luck with the Walmarts and Interstates but I haven't....... Wish I did.

13. Member
    I still use and believe in wet cells for trollers. Currently I have a buddy that deals with lots of batteries for pallet jacks. I buy all My wets cells through him at a stellar price. They are off name batteries but 31 series. I generally get 3 to 5 years from them. At the price I get them I'm OK with the batteries. I will say some of the best I used was a brand called "US battery". Before getting a connection I always used interstate SRM 29'S. Even though I hear a lot of flack about their AGM Batteries, I alway had great luck with them. The trick to long lasting wet cell is proper maintenance.
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

14. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex

15. #FRB
    Walmart 29's. They're in that slot where they're OK most of the time and always close to a dealer. I'm 1.5 miles from my nearest Walmart. My rule of thumb is 3 reliable years with proper maintenance for wet batteries and any longer is a bonus. I fish more than the average weekend warrior so they take a pounding especially when a lot of my patterns involve punching through the wind. Wind is your friend, lol. The oldest Walmart battery I've ever seen still working fine until it didn't work at all was a MAXX deep cycle that we replaced on my friend's old boat during a camping trip. It was at least 10 years old when we checked the date. It was that one battery that always stayed while others got replaced. Always charged on 2a and never added water. Yes the plates were VERY visible when we popped the caps on that "maintenance free" battery before swapping it for a new MAXX 29.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

16. Member
    I've been using Deka Marine Masters (2 TM, 1 starting) for over 10 years, first set lasted over 7 years, current set (group 27) still going strong !

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokie Pa View Post
    BEST SUGGESTION HERE...IF YOU CAN FIND THEM. I HAVE THEM AND THEY HAVE BEEN PERFECT. AND I LOVE NOT HAVING TO DEAL WITH BATTERY WATER LEVELS.

Bought the at SAM'S.... HAS locations in all areas of the country and they stand behind their stuff.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

18. Member
    I know they get a bad rap on here. And I haven't used them in 4 or 5 yrs. But I always had great success with the interstate srm 29. I alway got 4 to 5 years from them
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

19. Banned
    Another vote for the Walmart 29DC.

Good warranty and when you take it back you do not get the quiz about charging habits etc that you get from an auto shop or battery store. The clerk at the CS counter scans the receipt and the computer figures the rest, not even a moment of question about its return.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokie Pa View Post
    This battery has an RC of only 120 minutes. IMO, that would be a very poor choice for the troller.

The OP wants a wet cell. The Walmart 29 as suggested is a good choice, but often out of stock. A nice alternative, although with a lower RC (185) than the Walmart, would be the Super Start 31 deep cycle at Ol'Reilly at 104 dollars. It is a relabelled Deka/East Penn. Whatever the choice, pick the freshest ones that haven't been on the shelf long.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...b2/31dcm?pos=4
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast