Trim pump replacement- 1997 EFI 200hp. Ser# OG569909

1997 200 EFi serial # OG569909
    My trim motor stopped working, trim pump Motor appears to be burn up and not working. Need guidance on replacement. What Is the best way to raise the motor without causing damage since lift cylinder is hooked up, basically is there a way to release the pressure to raise the motor?

2. Member
    I had a similar issue on my 2008 Merc 250 Optimax. There is a release screw that will allow you to safely do what you need to do. If you are looking at the transom from behind the boat, it should be on the right side (they are all a little different but similar). There are some really good youtube videos that helped me that will likely guide you through it. I replaced my trim motor myself which was the easy part. The hard part was getting the wires back through the grommet on the lower cowling. I had to eventually loosen the lower cowling and then it went very quick.
    2008 BassCat Puma with a Mercury 250 Pro XS / 1996 Champion 186 with a Mercury 175 EFI

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Obtain a replacement (preferably OEM) trim motor, and follow the steps in the Factory Service Manual to replace it.

Note: In some cases, it may be possible to replace the trim motor WITHOUT removing engine from boat (if you have a jackplate that permits better access).

Avoid tube-videos, they're NOT a wise choice to use for this type of item.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thank you!!!!! I will check it out. Thr wiring may be an issue also. The current trim motor has 3 wires but the replacement appears to have 4

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Openfacereel View Post
    Thank you!!!!! I will check it out. Thr wiring may be an issue also. The current trim motor has 3 wires but the replacement appears to have 4
    Apologies- it appears you're working on an OFFSHORE engine model (not one with an integrated trim system/pump inside the transom brackets). With the pump in the boat, it's a solenoid driven system (and some components may be NLA).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor