Thread: Guide tipping

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Guide tipping

I have only been out on a couple of guided trips. I’m going to the beach next week and doing a half day inshore guide. What do you normally tip a guide? I want to make sure if he does a good job I tip appropriately.

2. Member
    I have only been on two saltwater guide trips, one was poor, it was the first one. We basically caught his bait for the next day, and my rig had line spliced, where it was a pain to drop to the correct depth. They acted like they could care less. It was a great looking rig though. The second was great! The boat looked like a salvage rig that he had repaired, the bimini was a home made rig, welded bracket, with a blue plastic tarp. No electronics. It was a clean rig, with a Yamaha on the back, about an 18 foot rig..

We had a great day, we went to an area out in the middle of nowhere, and it was game on! the fishing gear was 1st rate, rigged and ready, with very lively fresh bait, and plenty of it. The guide was friendly, helpful, and kept us in a good area. His helper was a fireball, he was all over it managing rigs, keeping live bait rigged for us, you couldn't ask for anything better. My son caught the species he was after, and I hooked up and landed a 140 lb sailfish, what a battle!

The moral of the story, don't judge a book by its cover. How many times have we heard that. My son tipped the main guy, I gave a hundred to his helper, he earned it! This guide had been working since he was a teenager as a guide, it showed, he knew his stuff. It was in Costa Rica.

3. Member
    If he’s good 20%. If it were offshore I would do more due to fuel burn.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingwillie View Post
    If he’s good 20%. If it were offshore I would do more due to fuel burn.
    Why would you do more for fuel? That is already figured in the price. I consider a tip for anything above and beyond the norm.
    2019 Skeeter ZX250

Check out my YouTube!! Thanks! https://www.youtube.com/user/WIHunter100/videos

5. Member
    My thoughts on tipping: I have mixed feelings

The mate typically gets tips. If the captain is running the trip by himself he is also acting as a mate, so he should probably be tipped. He is also providing a service for a fixed price. Do you normally tip any other person you hire to provide a service? If so, tip him; if not why would you tip him?

6. Member
    20 to 30% is what I tip.

7. Member
    I’m taking a 4 hour bay trip and it’s $650!! Kinda steep and they want 15-20% tip on top.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouBoogie View Post
    I’m taking a 4 hour bay trip and it’s $650!! Kinda steep and they want 15-20% tip on top.
    Wow,where’s that at,La.?

9. Member
    Usually around 20% of the cost

I personally do not know any guides that expect a tip. I know they all appreciate it but I cannot say any that I have used or any that I know personally that actually expect a tip. I have given the ones I used tips as I have always had a great time and they worked their butts off. Have had some that stayed out well past the agreed upon stopping time and we kept fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I personally do not know any guides that expect a tip. I know they all appreciate it but I cannot say any that I have used or any that I know personally that actually expect a tip. I have given the ones I used tips as I have always had a great time and they worked their butts off. Have had some that stayed out well past the agreed upon stopping time and we kept fishing.
    This,my son has been an inshore guide for 2 years..tipping is all over the place.He’s had crazy good days with no tip,and really tough days where he felt bad taking the money for the trip..and they still tipped

12. Member
    I took my son as a wedding present to Toledo Bend a while back and used Josh at Bent Rods guide service.(a member here) He worked his butt off in some difficult weather conditions for us. We gave him a decent tip because we felt he put his heart into our trip. No he wasn’t expecting anything but I appreciate someone who tries to do his best. Had a wonderful time.

13. Member
    I have been using the same guide for several years in Canada and tipping him $100 for five days. This year he told me going forward he wants $100 per day. Other guides have retired and he is now the top dog. My son and I have always done real well with him so next year I will just pony up.

14. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvanboat View Post
    I have been using the same guide for several years in Canada and tipping him $100 for five days. This year he told me going forward he wants $100 per day. Other guides have retired and he is now the top dog. My son and I have always done real well with him so next year I will just pony up.
    when he demands money it is no longer a tip ... i would be shopping around as to what the other guides in the area charge... or maybe even just renting a boat..

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

15. Banned
    0...the day charge is already high enough

Last trip was down in Rockport with family non fisherpersons. Guy worked his butt off and everybody got limits of nice redfish. Tipped a $100…worth every dollar for the smiles on the family.

It’s an inshore and I don’t think he has a mate. His rate is $450 for 4 hours
    Last edited by juice780; 10-03-2022 at 09:13 AM.

For me it's 20% and we always round up. Good or Bad. It's fishing
    As far as bad Guide or Charter. I just wouldn't use then agian

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rboren View Post
    I took my son as a wedding present to Toledo Bend a while back and used Josh at Bent Rods guide service.(a member here) He worked his butt off in some difficult weather conditions for us. We gave him a decent tip because we felt he put his heart into our trip. No he wasn’t expecting anything but I appreciate someone who tries to do his best. Had a wonderful time.
    That was a fun trip even though the wind was pretty bad. Thanks for the kind words!

20. Member
    I’m taking a 4 hour bay trip and it’s $650!! Kinda steep and they they want 15-20% tip.

DESTIN area. High as a cats back

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast