Question Northern Door County Fishing or Green Bay area or another Wisconsin area?

Heading to norhtern door County the next time the wife and I are planning on another trip to Green Bay in August for Packers things. We will be driving from the south through much of Wisconsin. What options would I have to take day for fishing? Looking for bass. Thanks
    Last edited by usabassin; 10-02-2022 at 08:49 PM.

2. Member
    I guess it depends on where in Wi you will be driving thru. Example coming up thru Chicago/ Milwaukee and up I43 to Green Bay there aren’t a lot of lakes along the way (at least to my knowledge) I reserve the right to be proven an idiot lol. Once in Door county I would say your looking at a guide for smallies. Lot of very good fishing up there for that, or so I’ve been told. I can’t recommend a guide but if you want one for the bay I’d be happy to ask around, I’ve just never personally done that. I know most of the rest of the state you can get large or smallies, from Madison and lacrosse all the way to the northern border. There are a couple of okay lakes within about 30 minutes of Green Bay, but nothing great. There are large mouth in the bay as well, but not the easiest to find. Also some good fishing in the “north woods” starting about an hour northwest of Green Bay, and a beautiful area as well.

My assumption is you aren’t bringing a boat? Do you want something guided, or would you want to rent a boat for a day and head out? There are options. I’m not an expert by any means but I’d be glad to help you out where I can. Post up how you might like to spend your day fishing and I will try and point you closer. Example my folks have a cabin by Cauldron Falls flowage just over an hour north of Green Bay. My dad can spend a day out fishing weeds and frogging and there are plenty of bass to have a fun and active day. Not likely to bring home a trophy but you won’t be bored. Places up there to rent a boat for sure. But if you will be in other parts of the state I know there are good options too, hopefully some of those guys chime in.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 99R93S View Post
    I guess it depends on where in Wi you will be driving thru. Example coming up thru Chicago/ Milwaukee and up I43 to Green Bay there aren’t a lot of lakes along the way (at least to my knowledge) I reserve the right to be proven an idiot lol. Once in Door county I would say your looking at a guide for smallies. Lot of very good fishing up there for that, or so I’ve been told. I can’t recommend a guide but if you want one for the bay I’d be happy to ask around, I’ve just never personally done that. I know most of the rest of the state you can get large or smallies, from Madison and lacrosse all the way to the northern border. There are a couple of okay lakes within about 30 minutes of Green Bay, but nothing great. There are large mouth in the bay as well, but not the easiest to find. Also some good fishing in the “north woods” starting about an hour northwest of Green Bay, and a beautiful area as well.

My assumption is you aren’t bringing a boat? Do you want something guided, or would you want to rent a boat for a day and head out? There are options. I’m not an expert by any means but I’d be glad to help you out where I can. Post up how you might like to spend your day fishing and I will try and point you closer. Example my folks have a cabin by Cauldron Falls flowage just over an hour north of Green Bay. My dad can spend a day out fishing weeds and frogging and there are plenty of bass to have a fun and active day. Not likely to bring home a trophy but you won’t be bored. Places up there to rent a boat for sure. But if you will be in other parts of the state I know there are good options too, hopefully some of those guys chime in.
    Thanks, this is early stages of planning and might make this a yearly deal. I was thinking of just backing a rod or two and a little tackle. Several years ago when we went we drove more through center of Wisconsin and stayed in appleton.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by usabassin View Post
    Thanks, this is early stages of planning and might make this a yearly deal. I was thinking of just backing a rod or two and a little tackle. Several years ago when we went we drove more through center of Wisconsin and stayed in appleton.
    Madison chain of lakes is in the south central area.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by usabassin View Post
    Thats a much nicer drive up for sure. If that’s what your going to bring along I would figure out the area you want to fish for your day, then rent a boat and make a day of it. You can rent them in most areas. Even if you wanted to fish in door county you can rent anything from a jet ski to a small yacht lol.

6. Member
    Thanks for the info. Might have to find a place and see if that place has lodging nearby.

7. Member
    Gladly. And if it’s in my neck of the woods I’ll gladly look at your options or help make sure your in a nice place.