Ran low on oil and now it wont fill the reservoir at the motor

250 pro xs that I ran low on oil. I refilled my tank in the boat tried bleeding the reservoir on the motor but it will not pump anyone has had an issue with this almost seems to be vapor locked ?

2. Member
    You have to crack open vent cap on engine to fill, plus don't overfill tank in boat, about 80 percent is good. Have you changed check valve on engine in a while?
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

3. Member
    No haven’t checked it just thought it was a crazy coincidence something went out same time I ran low on oil first time I ever let it happen so it’s new to me

4. Member
    Heck take out cap on engine and pour it full, crank on hose and make sure it stays full
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DewRonInc View Post
    You have to crack open vent cap on engine to fill, plus don't overfill tank in boat, about 80 percent is good. Have you changed check valve on engine in a while?
    ^^^^+1^^^^
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

6. Member
    Next thing is to check, make sure screen in tank isn't clogged
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DewRonInc View Post
    Heck take out cap on engine and pour it full, crank on hose and make sure it stays full
    ^^^^ NOT recommended.

See the FAQ Section "Bleeding Air from the Engine Mounted Oil Tank".

First and foremost- make sure that the engine mounted tank is AT LEAST 50% full. If lower than that at ANY time, STOP WHERE YOU ARE- THERE MAY POTENTIALLY BE AIR IN THE SYSTEM.

Follow the directions in the above FAQ post for best results- if it does not fill properly, you may have other problems.

If you would, please take a few moments to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor