Livescope for catfish??

I only crappie fish anymore but have a buddy who likes to catfish and was wondering if Livescope is a usefull tool for catfishing?? I really don't know much about catfishing.

2. Member
    I don't know much about catfish either but catch them all the time jigging for walleye. Yes I see them on LVS. Sometimes they are on or near bottom and they travel in groups and often suspend feeding on schools of baitfish. Not what I always thought about catfish. One spring I mistook a school of 6-8 inch channel cats 10-15 ft deep for a school of crappie. Caught several on crappie jigs before I gave it up.

When I see fish, especially deep fish, I don't know what they are unless I catch them. Today I saw bait at 110 ft and a fish. Dropped down to it and caught a 10 in spotted bass. It could have been a walleye or catfish but it wasn't.
    Last edited by LWINCHESTER2; 10-01-2022 at 06:34 PM.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    I don't know much about catfish either but catch them all the time jigging for walleye. Yes I see them on LVS. Sometimes they are on or near bottom and they travel in groups and often suspend feeding on schools of baitfish. Not what I always thought about catfish. One spring I mistook a school of 6-8 inch channel cats 10-15 ft deep for a school of crappie. Caught several on crappie jigs before I gave it up.

When I see fish, especially deep fish, I don't know what they are unless I catch them. Today I saw bait at 110 ft and a fish. Dropped down to it and caught a 10 in spotted bass. It could have been a walleye or catfish but it wasn't.
    That’s the thing that is great about livescope. Just an incredible learning tool.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

4. Member

You caught a spot 110 feet deep? You'd think bringing one up from that deep would kill them pretty quick with such a depth & water temp change.

5. Member
    I see and catch spotted bass in 80+ feet of water all the time with livescope. Also some catfish will be with them often. Mark them clearly with livescope

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    You caught a spot 110 feet deep? You'd think bringing one up from that deep would kill them pretty quick with such a depth & water temp change.
    Catfish blow up like a balloon. Walleye expel their air bladder and sometimes all their insides with it. Bass just puff up. They go back down when released but I don't know if they survive or not. Walleye won't survive when brought up from about 50 ft. They may swim away but generally they don't make it. Best to keep them when caught that deep.
    Last edited by LWINCHESTER2; 10-02-2022 at 11:35 AM.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

7. Member
    I dont have Livescope but ive used Panoptix when drifting and anchoring for catfish. Ive watched them swim up to and take.

Here was a big school of 2-3 lbers.

9. Member
    I mainly crappie fish my self but when I see catfish on my LS I target them so yes, LS is great for catfishing.

10. Member
    Catfish blow up like a balloon. Walleye expel their air bladder and sometimes all their insides with it. Bass just puff up. They go back down when released but I don't know if they survive or not. Walleye won't survive when brought up from about 50 ft. They may swim away but generally they don't make it. Best to keep them when caught that deep.
    Yes i knew walleye took the bends. I figured the spots swim bladder had to swell up. I'd say if you aren't fizzing them they're dying.

11. Member
    Could be. They don't float up but that don't mean much.

12. Member
    Its very likely that the most valuable part of using livescope for catfishing is catching bait.... if you are netting shad it's definitely worth the investment....