Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lipless fanatics …

It’s always lipless season for me and they work year round for me out here in the bass fishing paradise of New Jersey … What’s the biggest you throw ? 3” - 3/4 oz for me but I’m tempted to go to a 1 oz 3.5” version as it’s getting to be that magical time for them out here. Even though the occasional dink will hit the big bait, the big girls really seem to go for them. What’s the biggest you run ?
    Ranting incoherently

2. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Spro Aruku 1oz is the biggest I toss.

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

3. Scraps
    I have a few 1oz. A lot of 3/4oz. Some say the bigger ones are easier for the fish to throw. Haven't fished them enough to see or not. I fish them around deep rockpiles and yo-yo them so heavier is necessary. Have also noticed that line size is real important since you can make such long casts. 15lb line makes it tough to keep the bait on the bottom.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

4. Member
    Mainly throw a LV500.The best 1 oz was the old Cordell spot one knocker.

3/4 freshwater….but a good Kingfish bite offshore absolutely crush a 1oz chrome blue rattle trap.

6. Moderator
    I just got a couple 3/4oz. in the mail I'm going to try as soon as I'm able.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    Mainly throw a LV500.The best 1 oz was the old Cordell spot one knocker.
    How do you like those LV500’s ? I only have the XCalibur/Booyah 3/4 oz baits, which are great baits but have always heard how good the LC’s were.
    Ranting incoherently

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bilgerat View Post
    How do you like those LV500’s ? I only have the XCalibur/Booyah 3/4 oz baits, which are great baits but have always heard how good the LC’s were.
    For me personally, the LV500 is THE bait for bottom hopping. Just absolutely crushed the smallies yesterday here stroking a 3/4 oz redeye shad in 20fow. All bites were on the fall and damn near ripped the rod from your hand. Have personal business to attend to today or I would be right back out there as the text from my buddy says it’s still on. Ugh.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

9. Member
    1oz is as big as I have caught fish on. I did have an incredible day using a 1/4 oz. trap. 1/2 oz. is my go to.

Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    1oz is as big as I have caught fish on. I did have an incredible day using a 1/4 oz. trap. 1/2 oz. is my go to.
    Yeah, the 1/2 to 5/8 “middle size” will pretty much get bit all year long. As for the 1/4 oz baits, here’s one from Yo-Zuri that is a little known gem … the 3DR Vibe. It weighs 1/2 oz BUT has the profile of a 1/4 oz bait for when they’re keyed on smaller baits but you need the extra weight/distance of a 1/2 oz bait. Yo-Zuri makes an excellent bait. Unfortunately these are on clearance so they’ll likely disappear soon but currently all colors are available.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Yo-Z...page-YZDV.html
    Ranting incoherently

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bilgerat View Post
    There’s been more money won on Clearlake with a LV 500 than any other bait. Slow down as it cools down. Fish it like a jig in winter

13. Member
    I only throw the 1/2 ounce, have a few larger, a few smaller but they never get tied on, except for the few times I tie on a 3/8 ounce orange craw Rattlin' Rap. I usually throw Rattle Traps and an occasional spot.

14. Member
    There’s been more money won on Clearlake with a LV 500 than any other bait. Slow down as it cools down. Fish it like a jig in winter
    Early November here it’s just small.6-8” hops of the bottom. Let it sit for a count of 5-10 then hop it again. Rinse and repeat. It’s a bite up here most don’t know about, thankfully. Same in the spring and mid June. We tune bass and walleye bottom hopping the LV in June when others are throwing cranks and pulling harnesses.

I throw a 3” mainly, but have 4 and 4.5” I’ll throw just the same. Love them lipless.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

16. Member
    1/2 oz Cordell and Rattle Trap. Prefer Cordell because they have a tighter wiggle.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sandman View Post
    Early November here it’s just small.6-8” hops of the bottom. Let it sit for a count of 5-10 then hop it again. Rinse and repeat. It’s a bite up here most don’t know about, thankfully. Same in the spring and mid June. We tune bass and walleye bottom hopping the LV in June when others are throwing cranks and pulling harnesses.
    Another retrieve is to purposely get it stuck in weeds. Shake it a few time then rip it hard. They will crush it soon as it pops loose

18. Member
    Another retrieve is to purposely get it stuck in weeds. Shake it a few time then rip it hard. They will crush it soon as it pops loose
    Hah! Know that one well as our natural lakes here are weed factories. Not helping my buddy keeps sending me pics. Lol!

Ok, I’m in for a couple of the LV500’s … Discount Tackle has the Aurora Black color on clearance for $12.36 a pop so I’ll have them by next weekend.
    Ranting incoherently

20. Member
    $60!!! O Hell No!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast