Priming Optimax fuel system

I just changed the fuel filter in my 2006 200 hp Optimax serial #1B378378. When I changed it out it cranked right up and ran for a couple of minutes maybe. Then it ran rough then it died. It would fire up when I cranked it up run rough for a second and die. Now nothing. There was nothing so long that I even checked continuity with my kill switch which was good. I didn’t think about bleeding the system when I changed it out. I’m figuring that I ran all the gas out of what was already in the lines.

How do I bleed the system? I unscrewed the fuel filter and primed it. I also have tried pumping the bulb and it stays hard. What should I check or try? If it could be any way pertinent, I just changed out my oil tank in the motor last week. It ran well after I did that. I’m pretty lost right now. Even the simplest and smallest suggestion would be appreciated.
    Last edited by jblocker; 09-30-2022 at 08:22 PM.

2. Member
    It could be a number of things, checking fuel pressure would be first
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

3. Member
    Inspect plugs, how long has it been since u changed them
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

4. Member
    Make sure fuel line isn't degraded, bad about that, was any trash under filter when u changed, make sure all linkages are connected, sometimes after changing filter there is a issue as it is close
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

5. Member
    Plugs were changed earlier this year. I went out and suctioned under the filter. There was some reddish debris. The gas that was in it was milky. When I primed it back up, I got to gas that looked right but barely smelled like gas.

I think I should drain the fuel tank? Where would the red debris come from? What should I do to clean the system and get it running again? Thanks.

6. Member
    Yup time to get rid of gas in tank
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

7. Member
    New fuel lines and a new bulb and remove all Gas from tank
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

8. Member
    Must have got some horrible gas. Has it been sitting for a bit
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

9. Member
    Yeah. I had to wait 90 days to get some fiberglass work done. I’ve used it a couple of times since. I’ve run some new gas through the system and now when I drain it from the two drains several times. it’s clear gas now but I still can’t get it to fire off. Any suggestions?

10. Member
    Could need to get injectors and rails cleaned
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Start with the obvious:

Siphon all fuel (EVERY LAST DROP) from the fuel tank. CANNOT do this through the fuel line- you must access through the fuel sending unit opening in most cases.

REPLACE fuel lines, bulb, rebuild pulse pump, and replace filter if soiled at all (even if new).

Red stuff worries me... a picture might be a great idea.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor