Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My real world lithium batteries experience

Thought I'd post this for anyone on the fence about making the switch.......

Original owner of 2000 Champion DC 191 w 200 VMAX OX66 3.1. Ultrex 24V w link. 2- 100 Ionics for trolling and 1- 125 Ionic for cranking. Noco GenPro 4 bank charger (only using 3 banks) 2 Helix 7’s and 1 Lowrance HDS 5.
    Me and my buddy fishing for 2 days. Maybe 450 lbs between the two of us. Loaded with gear and maybe 25 gallons of gas. Ran about 10 miles total on the outboard.

First day 5.5 hours on troller. Mostly constant on 3. Some spot locking. No wind. At end of day both trollers were at 85%. Cranking battery was at 94%

Second day without charging – Ran pretty much the same as the day before. 9.5 hours w/slight wind for ˝ of the day. At end of day both trollers were at 59% and cranking was at 89%.

So 15 hours on trolling motor batteries and still at 59%.

My take on the switch from wet flooded batteries to lithium’s…….Pretty impressive! Love the Bluetooth. Boat ran the same and felt great. I may have picked up a mile an hour or two. Not sure though because I always fish 3 in my boat. Rarely 2. I did notice that taking 100 pounds off the (far) rear port side of my boat had my boat slightly leaning to the starboard side when I was in it by myself, sitting at the helm waiting for my buddy to back the trailer down. LOL! But I’m a good 275 pounds. Guess it’s time to get back in the gym.

Got them from Andrew here on BBC and couldn’t be happier with them!

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Ionics are awesome batteries....have 2 TM's and cranking and they are great.....also the great service you get from Andy!!!!
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    Great report! I love my Ionics also
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkainoa View Post
    Thought I'd post this for anyone on the fence about making the switch.......

Original owner of 2000 Champion DC 191 w 200 VMAX OX66 3.1. Ultrex 24V w link. 2- 100 Ionics for trolling and 1- 125 Ionic for cranking. Noco GenPro 4 bank charger (only using 3 banks) 2 Helix 7’s and 1 Lowrance HDS 5.
    Me and my buddy fishing for 2 days. Maybe 450 lbs between the two of us. Loaded with gear and maybe 25 gallons of gas. Ran about 10 miles total on the outboard.

First day 5.5 hours on troller. Mostly constant on 3. Some spot locking. No wind. At end of day both trollers were at 85%. Cranking battery was at 94%

Second day without charging – Ran pretty much the same as the day before. 9.5 hours w/slight wind for ˝ of the day. At end of day both trollers were at 59% and cranking was at 89%.

So 15 hours on trolling motor batteries and still at 59%.

My take on the switch from wet flooded batteries to lithium’s…….Pretty impressive! Love the Bluetooth. Boat ran the same and felt great. I may have picked up a mile an hour or two. Not sure though because I always fish 3 in my boat. Rarely 2. I did notice that taking 100 pounds off the (far) rear port side of my boat had my boat slightly leaning to the starboard side when I was in it by myself, sitting at the helm waiting for my buddy to back the trailer down. LOL! But I’m a good 275 pounds. Guess it’s time to get back in the gym.

Got them from Andrew here on BBC and couldn’t be happier with them!
    The crazy thing is if you switch from an ultrex to a brushless motor the power consumption difference is significant and they last even longer!
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

5. Member
    The take away I feel like I keep getting is they probably are great if you fish tournaments or a LOT, but if not then nice but no real benefit. Not for the cost at least, batteries and new charger, not cheap. Then if you also might have to re prop to get your same ride back (from reading other posts about weight loss). I'd like to consider it but its just expensive as heck. Not saying they aren't worth it, or knocking it, just giving you a perspective from on the fence, and not a tourney guy.

6. Member
    The number of charge/discharge cycles that lithiums have vs what is possible with Lead acids is where the real savings happen. Even the best deep cycle lead acids will go for 200-230 charge/discharge cycles. A lithium will go 10 times more charge and discharge cycles. If you calculate the cost on just the lifespan of those cycles it’s worth it. If you look at the other factors past that it gets really easy to justify the purchase. Weight, not even close, charge time of the lithium is light speed compared to the best lead acid with a top notch charger. I bought a $60 lithium specific charger that is just the cord and alligator clips. Charges the 100 ah from 60% to 100% in 2 hours of less. Since getting a 120 dollar Yandina charger I’ve not had to use the other charger. The alternator on my ancient 90hp merc charged them in a hurry. If you have one of the newer motors that have the 70 and 80 amp alternators the charge time would likely take half the time. It is one of the largest jumps in technology for fishing boats in a long time.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 99R93S View Post
    The take away I feel like I keep getting is they probably are great if you fish tournaments or a LOT, but if not then nice but no real benefit. Not for the cost at least, batteries and new charger, not cheap. Then if you also might have to re prop to get your same ride back (from reading other posts about weight loss). I'd like to consider it but its just expensive as heck. Not saying they aren't worth it, or knocking it, just giving you a perspective from on the fence, and not a tourney guy.
    Maybe but maybe not.... don't forget to consider lithiums will last 10-12 years. So with a 36v I was buying new lead acid batteries every 3 years. I didn't buy the cheap Wally World batteries at $100 each, I was buying high quality Powerstride for $160 a piece. So for me, 3 batteries at $160 each times 3 sets for nine years total time costed about $1440. Looking at it that way, I actually saved $ by switching to lithium plus all the other benefits. Not to mention the hassle of adding water and the pita of reaching down into the engine compartment to switch heavy batteries out.... my bad back hated that. It sounds like a lot of $ upfront but look at the long run; assuming you plan on keeping your boat a while. I'm glad I switched..... In my situation I also went to back to a 24v system and saved 10lbs off the bow in addition to 225 lbs in back and still have longer run time

8. Member
    The take away I feel like I keep getting is they probably are great if you fish tournaments or a LOT, but if not then nice but no real benefit. Not for the cost at least, batteries and new charger, not cheap. Then if you also might have to re prop to get your same ride back (from reading other posts about weight loss). I'd like to consider it but its just expensive as heck. Not saying they aren't worth it, or knocking it, just giving you a perspective from on the fence, and not a tourney guy
    I totally understand where you're coming from. I actually don't use my boat much. I'd be surprised if I put 10 hours a year on it as far as run time on my outboard. So having said that, I had a hard time justifying spending the money when I could just keep buying group 29 Walmart batteries for a $100.00 each every 3 years. The prices have came down over the years but they are still a pretty substantial amount of money to spend.

9. Member
    I’ve had good luck with batteries I guess, I do carry 4 but they usually last me 5-6 years. So that was part of my thoughts also, the lithium’s lasting 10-12 years meant to me lasting 2x longer, but I wondered would they really last that long. Again I won’t argue the weight savings, technology, etc. I have about 2-3 years on mine left to decide. I really do appreciate the conversation and education though. I do use the bot fairly often from April to October, At least try and get out twice a week, even tho it maybe only for 2-3 hours after work.

10. Member
    I am 99% sure I will switch to Lithium when my current batteries die, especially since Merc now issued specs for lithium batteries on 4S motors

Just make sure you are buying lithium's for the right reason ... long lasting and dependability. Those are the keys !
    If your buying them to go faster and lighten your boat then you are probably going to be disappointed, as the characteristics/handling of your boat are going to change, some not for the better.
    You will not have to worry about losing power or having to replace a lead cell or AGM at the most inconvenient times when they go out.
    2024 Bass Cat Puma STS
    2024 Mercury V8 ProXS 250hp

12. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    I don't have a ton of time with my Ionics, but love them so far.

Andy with Drewcraft is awesome with info/customer service.

I have two 125ah parallel for cranking and electronics and three 100ah for the Ultrex.

Going sun up to sun down with two Apex 16's, an Apex 19, Mega Live and Mega 360 my two 125ah are around 65%. (Apex units pull almost double the amps as the Solix). My three 100ah are around 85%-90%.

My previous parallel X2 31 series AGM'S for cranking and electronics would get below 12v after a couple hours.

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

I'll be replacing my TM batteries for next season and have been considering going to Lithium. I get 3 years out of lead acid so the 10 years from Lithium is a consideration. The weight lost sounds good, but my boat likes the aft weight. I fish club stuff and a couple other tnxs a year, so I just don't know yet.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

14. Member
    i will never go back to lead/agm.

15. Member
    How are you guys getting around charging them when its cold? For instace we have a tournament Nov 5-6. I am guessing it will be right around 32 probably colder at night and the boat will be plugged in outside. This is whats holding me back from getting them.

16. Member
    Same here we are in deep freeze from late November to April And I always keep my charger plugged in I understand you can shorten the lifespan of these lithiums by charging them in sub 32° weather so that’s the deterrent for me in getting them…… For now I will swap out two Wally world batteries for 200 bucks every second or third year…..

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by creekchub View Post
    Same here we are in deep freeze from late November to April And I always keep my charger plugged in I understand you can shorten the lifespan of these lithiums by charging them in sub 32° weather so that’s the deterrent for me in getting them…… For now I will swap out two Wally world batteries for 200 bucks every second or third year…..
    Most have built in protection to keep them from charging below 32 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsmith223 View Post
    How are you guys getting around charging them when its cold? For instace we have a tournament Nov 5-6. I am guessing it will be right around 32 probably colder at night and the boat will be plugged in outside. This is whats holding me back from getting them.
    I've never seen my batteries below 38 degrees in an unheated shop, even when the temperature outside was in the mid 20's. Could be heat created from the charger. I don't know. What I do know is I've never had a problem in the 2 years I've had lithiums.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17
    2018 Yamaha F90
    Garmin Ultra 106sv bow/console
    Ionic lithium batteries

19. Member
    My real word experience, simply the best and why are you waiting? Common ground they get you through a full day of fishing then home, nothing more and nothing less. Winter charging? Eh too many easy, cheap ways to keep them warm if you have to.
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

20. Member
    Ok everyone, my original cranking battery was down to 10v this weekend and my 16 Live kept cutting off. I know the battery is done and I have to buy a new cranking battery. I want to buy the Ionic 125A but called Yamaha and they said they do not recommend using lithium as a cranking battery. They also said if something happens and it is due to the lithium battery they will not cover it under warranty. I have seen several of these posts stating you should be good with lithium. I do not use my boat much (2019 Yamaha, 16/12 Lowrance Lives; might add another 12, AT, and lives wells occasionally). I would like everyone’s thoughts? Not trying to hijack post. Just need to do this now. Very nervous because I have at least 2 years of warranty on the Yamaha 250.
    2019 Skeeter FX-21
    250 SHO
    Lowrance 16” Live & 12” Live
    Ghost TM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast