Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Questions for the JDM reel guys

I am in the market for a new reel and am curious how often sites like Digitaka, Plat., etc., receive new inventory and update their websites? (It seems that most of the mid grade reels are currently out of stock). Also, what are your favorite JDM sites to buy from?
    Thanks in advance!
    "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

2. Member
    I start with Amazon Japan, and then after that I look at Digitaka and Asian Portal Fishing. I've had the best experiences with Amazon Japan and Asian Portal Fishing, as even returns were easy and painless.

I just used Amazon for a Metanium with no issues. It just takes a month to get.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

4. Member
    Digitaka and Asian portal are the best for reels. Free, super fast shipping

5. Member
    Just had my first experience with japanlureshop it was fantastic. Arrived within 4 days also included a pretty sweet Megabass JDM crankbait as a gift. Highly recommend.

6. Banned
    inventory is hit or miss but honestly, I’ve gotten legible English responses from when I email most of the JDM sites I order from. And I’ve ordered thousands from:

Japan lure shop
    digitaka
    Asian portal
    japan tackle

No bad experiences yet and Japan lure shop sent me two Megabass onetens with my last purchase.

7. Member
    Jdmtackleheaven
    Digitaka
    Asian portal
    Japan lure shop
    Karil
    Plat
    Japan tackle

All legit, and all will help you out the best they can

8. Member
    Are there any Jdm for saltwater reels?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabo31 View Post
    Are there any Jdm for saltwater reels?
    Tons. What “type” you looking for?

Daiwa Morethan PE is nice

10. Member
    Big game reels. Like talica 50s

11. Member
    Digitaka..... fast and reliable. With the current exchange rate a Bantam MGL is $233 compared to $349 domestically.

12. Member
    Digitaka is my go to JDM site for reels. Their prices are great and they ship for free. I've ordered stuff from them and TW the same day and have had the package from Japan show up faster.

13. Member
    How are import and duty taxes handled?

I've been buying reels from Japan for 5 years... maybe 15 reels or more... never had any import charges. I usually buy one at a time and probably never spend more than 3 hundred bucks.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 86 inches View Post
    I've been buying reels from Japan for 5 years... maybe 15 reels or more... never had any import charges. I usually buy one at a time and probably never spend more than 3 hundred bucks.
    Same here, have over a dozen Metaniums and Bantams and had to deal with customs or import taxes.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JJohnSind View Post
    How are import and duty taxes handled?
    This is cross posted from the TT Enthusiast Forum and addresses this topic in some detail. Good luck with your JDM reel search.

"The information below is from the US Customs & Border Protection website and is the only guidance I have ever seen with actual declared values associated with the purchase of goods via the Internet and in my experience, I have found it to be fairly accurate in actual US Customs duty fee assessment when ordering and importing JDM rods and other fishing tackle.

Typically, if the rod purchase total value is below $800, I don't get assessed a customs fee against the rod, if the purchase is over $800, I have received custom fees anywhere from $33 to $66 assessed against that rod purchase. One specific occurrence, I had a combined rod purchase (4 rods) value over the $2,000 threshold value noted below and I had to pay $133 in customs fees, and I had to arrange and pay for the shipment to be released from customs via FedEx from the port of entry in Long Beach, CA.

I no longer find it economically feasible to accumulate more than a given amount of rod value simply to save on shipping costs as this may be detrimental depending on how much value the JDM rods represent versus how much customs fees are assessed against the rod value. Everyone has different tastes and values for the JDM rods they purchase and import so there will be variations in the actual cost of the customs fees assessed by the Customs and Border Patrol folks. So, the short answer is as always, YMMV!

Please have a great day!

CBP Link: https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import- ... -purchases

Postal Service, Couriers and Freight
    There are three ways goods can be sent to you from abroad. In order to avoid costly problems, you and the seller of your goods should agree on which will be used the international postal service, a courier service, or freight carriers.
    1. International Postal Service: Merchandise shipped through the international postal service is forwarded upon its arrival in the United States to one of U.S. Customs and Border Protection International Mail Branches for clearance. If the item is less than $2,000 in value and is not subject to a quota or is not a restricted or prohibited item, a CBP official will usually prepare the paperwork for importing it, assess the proper duty, and release it for delivery. This procedure is generally referred to as a mail entry. Packages whose declared value is under $800 ($100 if being sent as a gift to someone other than the purchaser) will generally be cleared without any additional paperwork prepared by CBP. However, CBP always reserves the right to require a formal entry for any importation and generally exercises this option if there is something unusual about the importation, or if important documents such as an invoice or bill of sale do not accompany the item."
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

17. Member
    I've been buying JDM reels for 10+ years and have never been charged import / duty taxes. Sometime the reel may be held in customs a couple days which slows shipping down a little. I ordered a reel from Digitaka last Friday and it arrived yesterday, even with being held up in customs.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by njbasscat View Post
    I've been buying JDM reels for 10+ years and have never been charged import / duty taxes. Sometime the reel may be held in customs a couple days which slows shipping down a little. I ordered a reel from Digitaka last Friday and it arrived yesterday, even with being held up in customs.
    I agree and seldom have to deal with any customs fees for JDM reels, but when you decide (for whatever insane reason) to stack up four Daiwa Steez Racing Design rods in one purchase order, somethings going to give, and I was the unfortunate victim of my own JDM fishing tackle greed!

These days I seldom order more than two high end JDM rods at a time to minimize the potential impact of the rods being held in customs let alone being charged actual customs duty fees. If nothing else, it's a lot less stressful than being on hold for hours at a time being directed from one US customs clerical worker to another trying to figure out how to get my rods out of customs "quarantine". I was finally able to get that shipment out of customs via paying a third-party export company to go and physically take custody of it then ship it to my doorstep instead of waiting for the bureaucratic "process" to catch up to the shipment.

Lesson learned for me!
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

19. Member
    I’m going to try this and see how it goes. Right on the borderline - buying Daiwa Exist, $850 US retail. Purchase price will be well below $800 (after exchange rates). I take it reporting and paying state sales tax will be on me as it doesn’t appear they mess with it. I understand that the reel will have NO factory warranty.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JJohnSind View Post
    I’m going to try this and see how it goes. Right on the borderline - buying Daiwa Exist, $850 US retail. Purchase price will be well below $800 (after exchange rates). I take it reporting and paying state sales tax will be on me as it doesn’t appear they mess with it. I understand that the reel will have NO factory warranty.
    I'm certain the new Daiwa Exist LT will treat you well, as we are discussing high-end JDM reels in another thread on this forum, you'll be very pleasantly surprised by the smoother and more refined gears and drag found on both the Exist or the Stella.

Yes, there is no expectation of warranty for any JDM reel (or fishing tackle) that is exported out of Japan. Having said that, I've yet to need any warranty service on my 70+ JDM reels since I began buying them in 2003. As always, YMMV!

Good luck on your potential JDM reel purchase and please have a great day!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast