Thread: Motor Height

Motor Height

I'm working on setting up a new to me boat. When I measure the prop to pad I have to raise the Jack Plate all the way to the top to get 3 inches below pad.
    Its a 6inch Altlas JP with 12 inches of set back. The boat is a 522D which is a really big and heavy boat. My motor still has 2 holes of height left in it but that only gets me 1.5 inches.

Is it possible that they set it up this way because of how big the boat is ?

I dont like the idea of having the JP all the way up all the time.

That boat probably won't benefit in performance from running any higher.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    because of the hull type?

I'm starting the process with Mark but when I measured this tonight I thought maybe height had to be addressed first.

I run big water and need that bottom end performance. Not too worried about top end but I will take it if Mark can give it to me.

4. Member
    As setback is increased you also lose P2P height due to the angle of the transom.
    Allison XB-21 ProSport
    Yamaha 250 SHO
    Croxton Razor 4XL

5. Member
    Here is the correct procedure on measuring your P2P.
    P2P measure.jpg

Based on what you are saying, your motor hangs 18" out from you pad, if I read it correctly.

What is you water pressure when running the JP at 3"? and WOT RPM?

BTW, what motor is it? and HP?

6. Member
    Thanks that is exactly how I did it. My best performance seems to be at 5.5 inches below pad. Mark was not surprised when I told him. The Ranger 522D has a hull more like the 600 series Ranger then a typical 500 series bass boat. The motor is a 300 HP Evinrude etech gen 1.

Mark has recommended the Razor 4 xlr 23p. I'm sure he is right but I still have two holes to play with if I need to raise the motor.

7. Member
    You are correct that the Ranger 522D is a very large bass rig, and even with a 300HP motor, you will not going to be very fast, which based on your post, it don't matter to you.
    If based on the information you sent Mark, he recommended the Razor xlr 4, it will be the best you are going to get.

8. Member
    willy,
    This is a link to the actual tests done by Boating on your boat. https://www.boatingmag.com/ranger-z522d/

I was shocked to learn that it weighs nearly a 900# more that my '02 Cobra 201DC and it's 2' longer. Wow, that is big rig that you can use on L. Ontario without a problem, or run it in the St. Lawrence in any weather.

9. Member
    Thanks for the link that was good. Add Erie to your list and those three bodies of water are 90% of my fishing. Exactly why I bought this boat.