SeaStar bleed question

I am getting play and harder steering in my boat; 09 Sabre. I have owned it for 9 years, (only 17 hours on it when I bought about 300 now). It has never had maintenance on the SeaStar. I have watched several videos and none seem to address bleeding out “old” fluid. They all show the setup. Line kits and process of getting air bubbles out, new container of fluid etc. Does it have to be drained off first, or do I just follow the process shown in videos. I have no visible leak.

crap… did not see the similar post right before mine!
    2023 BassCat Sabre FTD
    2023 175 Pro XS

2. Member
    There are a couple of different ways to do it. I prefer the process in the manual, but that's just me. To answer your question, no, you don't need to bleed out the old fluid.

The old fluid is going to come out in the process.
    I put a tube on each bleeder valve then into a jar about 1/3 full of fluid. Attached bottle to helm unit. Opened both bleeder valves and turned the wheel both ways a few times until I had no bubbles or air and done. Pretty simple.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Thanks guys!
    2023 BassCat Sabre FTD
    2023 175 Pro XS

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    The old fluid is going to come out in the process.
    I put a tube on each bleeder valve then into a jar about 1/3 full of fluid. Attached bottle to helm unit. Opened both bleeder valves and turned the wheel both ways a few times until I had no bubbles or air and done. Pretty simple.
    You need to have the open end of the tubing below the top of the existing fluid in the bottles. Use clear vinyl tubing to track any bubbles plus it's cheap.

6. Member
    Hook up bottle of new fluid to helm, flip upside down and punch a hole in the bottle.

put in the bleeder tubes, crack bleeder and turn left, then keep turning left, the motor may or maynot turn left but keep turning. This will start pumping new fluid in and old fluid out. Keep turning left until all the old fluid is out and all air bubbles are out and about 1/2 of the bottle is empty.
    Close bleeder, crack other bleeder with hose installed and turn right, repeat steps above turning right until the bottle is empty. Close bleeder.

System should be bleeed and fluid replaced.

7. Member
    Buy a Bubble Purge G2 kit, it’s the easiest way to purge the system of air.
    https://outboardst.com/product/bubbl...t-ost-pbb-001/

8. Member
    Just be really careful that you don’t spill any fluid on your carpet when removing the fill tube off of the steering wheel

9. Member
    That steering won't get harder with old fluid. Mine did feel a little harder once when I put Lower Unit oil in it by mistake. Not recommended.