Thread: oetiker clamps?

oetiker clamps?

Going to change out the fuel rail filters on my 2019 250 Pro XS 4S (2B571507) and realize I need to become familiar with these oetiker clamps and the tool to affix them. I was curious if anyone knows the size clamps (are they metric?) to re clamp the fuel line and what I need to buy for the proper tool to squeeze them shut. Never installed or removed one of these clamps so Im a total newbie.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuelleak View Post
    Going to change out the fuel rail filters on my 2019 250 Pro XS 4S (2B571507) and realize I need to become familiar with these oetiker clamps and the tool to affix them. I was curious if anyone knows the size clamps (are they metric?) to re clamp the fuel line and what I need to buy for the proper tool to squeeze them shut. Never installed or removed one of these clamps so Im a total newbie.
    I believe you can use the same crimping tool that is used for the Oetiker clamps used on household PEX water tubing, available online or at your local big box stores. I would purchase the clamps from Mercury to be sure you get the correct size. I have read online that the clamp on the V8 thermostat housing is 36.1mm before crimping and that size is offered on <EDIT>. Perhaps that is correct, perhaps it is not? Don told me that the size is often stamped on the clamp itself. I would be inclined to order the Mercury clamp to ensure it is the correct size, rather than save $2 and end up with a leak.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 09-28-2022 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Announcements

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    8M0090809 Filter (2 Required)
    8M0142585 Oetiker Clamp (2 Required).

Since these must be full-banded, Stainless, and the correct width- I'd recommend sticking with the correct OEM clamp.

Virtually any traditional Oetiker Clamp crimping tool will work fine (keep in mind you'll want something you can handle in one hand, preferably).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    I bought a couple of Mercury parts to change out my fuel filter assembly.
    They were about $10 a piece. I looked at the size stamped on the clamps, then bought stainless steel clamps the same size. They were about 20 cents a piece.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Avanti View Post
    I bought a couple of Mercury parts to change out my fuel filter assembly.
    They were about $10 a piece. I looked at the size stamped on the clamps, then bought stainless steel clamps the same size. They were about 20 cents a piece.
    What the heck kind of engine do you have, Avanti? I honestly can't think of a single oetiker clamp used on or near fuel filters that's $10 each (yes they're high, but nothing like that).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    What the heck kind of engine do you have, Avanti? I honestly can't think of a single oetiker clamp used on or near fuel filters that's $10 each (yes they're high, but nothing like that).
    2019 60 hp Motor Serial Number: 1C558025

<Edit- Announcements>
    Part# 888988023 Mercury MSRP: $12.00

I bought 13.8 mm Oetiker clamps (2) - 16700011 since.
    I had to buy 100. I think they were about $25 for 100.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 10-03-2022 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Announcements

7. Member
    When I check for a price today, at European Marine, the clamps are 12.00 a piece. Inflation, especially in outboard parts prices, has no limits. The clamps were probably $ 1.50 last time anyone looked.

8. Member
    I needed to buy new Mercury oetiker clamps to look at because I had removed and discarded my original equipment clamps. The first time I changed my filter assembly I used Mercury 360 degree plastic tie straps to secure the hoses, as I have done for years for low pressure fuel lines. Noticing the tie straps i had bought in the past are discontinued, I googled around and learned that the tie straps are not acceptable and that oetiker clamps are required. The OP can look at his current clamps and read the size if he wants to buy the clamps from a different source. I didn’t find a local source so I bought through <ANNOUNCEMENTS>, but had to by way too many.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 10-03-2022 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Read Announcements

9. Member
    Fastenal has them but not sure about the price.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You can use any of the genuine Oetiker Clamps, as long as they are FULL-BANDED and stainless steel. Keep in mind that there are numerous different TYPES of oetiker clamps out there- many of which don't meet these specs.

Avanti- thanks for the point-out. That's not a very common clamp, which likely has a lot to do with the price (still rediculous, though). Pulled the non-pertinent items to comply with Forum Announcements.

11. Member
    You all are helpful, didn't know the size was stamped on the clamp. Avanti, Ill buy some of your 13.8s as you have a couple lifetimes supply now.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuelleak View Post
    You all are helpful, didn't know the size was stamped on the clamp. Avanti, Ill buy some of your 13.8s as you have a couple lifetimes supply now.
    I’m thinking your fuel lines might be larger diameter as a 250 would have a lot more fuel flow than a 60, but I really don’t know. If they are the same, i can send some to you.