Thread: Gun Cleaning ?

Gun Cleaning ?

So I thoroughly cleaned my Mossberg autoloader 930 12 gauge after duck season was done and over with last January. Now duck season is almost here again. Should I lube it again or am I good to go......I hate a jamming firearm and this 930 has been a finicky gun if not nice and clean. I also have a Browning Sweet Sixteen I use when I just walking the dikes with my puppy dog.

THOUGHTS of that you experienced hunters do ? ? ?

2. Banned
    When I used to duck hunt, the crappier the weather, the better the ducks flew, plus I hunted areas of brackish water, so I cleaned every trip. But that was with Remington 1100's. it won't hurt to do a clean and lube before the next trip. rather be safe than sorry.

it won't hurt to do a clean and lube before the next trip. rather be safe than sorry.

SeaArk ZX200DC Mercury 115 FourStroke

4. Member
    Too much lube can be a bad thing and if it was lined properly with the right material then it will not need to be lubed again now.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    Too much lube can be a bad thing and if it was lined properly with the right material then it will not need to be lubed again now.
    The last few years I have been using REM Oil…..I think WD-40 must of change their formula because even my Sweet Sixteen will occasionally jam with it. Now with REM Oil no problem

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Remington...-10oz/16930254

6. Member
    Wd40 is not a lubricant and is probably responsible for bringing more guns to a screeching halt than any other product. It is a good cleaner especially if it got wet.

7. Member
    I've had issues with REM Oil on my autoloader when hunting late season in cold weather (December in MN). My guide told me to ditch the REM oil and use Break Free CLP. Did a thorough clean and never had another issue that year or any year since.

8. Member
    REM oil has a reputation for gumming up but it has never happened to me. I use other oil now but rem oil works in a pinch.

9. Banned
    I know when I used to shoot competitive skeet and trap with 1100's, I never used WD-40 on them. Worst thing in the world after shooting 100 targets, would get gummed up and function slower. They used to joke that WD-40 was the gunsmiths money maker due to people bring guns back that didn't want to cycle.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acesover View Post
    I know when I used to shoot competitive skeet and trap with 1100's, I never used WD-40 on them. Worst thing in the world after shooting 100 targets, would get gummed up and function slower. They used to joke that WD-40 was the gunsmiths money maker due to people bring guns back that didn't want to cycle.
    The bests way to clean gummed up wd40 is with more wd40. The solvents in it break It down so it can be wiped off.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    REM oil has a reputation for gumming up but it has never happened to me. I use other oil now but rem oil works in a pinch.
    Rem oil is just mineral oil. This is off their msds sheet. hemical Identity:Distillates (petroleum), light paraffinic; 95-99%
    Common Name:Light paraffinic mineral oil