2021 proxs water pump issue

Serial number 2B787865

I done my yearly service today with the oil change and lower unit service and for peace of mind went ahead and changed my impeller. Bought everything from a Mercury dealer. Installed impeller exactly the way it came out. Put everything back together and put the muffs on. My water pressure on my gauge was reading 0. The was a steady stream of water coming from the tell-tale tube. After a few minutes when I noticed the pressure reading I bumped the throttle to see if it would increase. My overheat alarm started going off and I got a 521-20 code. Tomorrow I plan on taking the l/u back off to see if I may have missed something. Is there something else I should be looking at. Thanks for the help

Take it to the lake and test it first. If your motor is a v8, the muffs don't work on them... Been there done that.

3. Member
    I went to lowes and got a big plastic tote, big enough to fit the l/u in so I could start the motor at the house without the muffs. Fill it with water and keep the hose running in it. Works like a charm
    21 Phoenix 819 Pro
    21 Mercury Pro XS 200 4 Stroke (3B003279)

4. Member
    If your dealer sold you a kit for an older 2 stroke pro xs which looks exactly the same except for a very small gasket change you will not get any water pressure. Hopefully you kept your old gaskets and can compare them. Even Mr. Weed didn't catch that when I asked him if I could use my 2014 Torque master water pump kit in my new 2019 250 Pro XS 4S, he said yes and boy did I have water pressure issues also. Scratch my head for days trying to figure out what I did wrong. My mechanic finally found the slight difference in the gasket, ordered a new kit a problem solved. Could be your deal.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fuelleak View Post
    If your dealer sold you a kit for an older 2 stroke pro xs which looks exactly the same except for a very small gasket change you will not get any water pressure. Hopefully you kept your old gaskets and can compare them. Even Mr. Weed didn't catch that when I asked him if I could use my 2014 Torque master water pump kit in my new 2019 250 Pro XS 4S, he said yes and boy did I have water pressure issues also. Scratch my head for days trying to figure out what I did wrong. My mechanic finally found the slight difference in the gasket, ordered a new kit a problem solved. Could be your deal.
    Since they listed the same kit- the kits were updated to include the gasket for the 4-strokes shortly thereafter. Been this way for at least 3 years now.

As stated above, the muffs will NOT provide adequate water supply to cool the engine. Don't condemn anything until you've tested it with the gearcase submerged in water (or in the lake).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Bartman was correct. Took it to the lake everything is fine. Apparently my muffs and water pressure from the house isn’t enough to keep my engine cool. But all is well now thanks for the help guys