Thread: Trim issue

Trim issue

2021 250 Pro XS. Serial number 3B006464. Went fishing Saturday morning and trim quit working. Got it loaded up and rushed to the shop before they closed. They unplugged connections under the cowling and trim motor failed to run with 12v power. They then tested with a meter and made sure I was getting 12v power while i pressed the trim switch up and down and I was getting power both directions. Called yesterday and they were starting a warranty claim and told me to call back today. Called back today and they said they ordered part number 8m0164977 which is a complete trim assembly and the schematics ive looked at for my serial number does not show this as the correct part number. The part is on national backorder. Why not just replace the trim motor or are they trying to screw the warranty department.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good question- I would ask them.

Keep in mind that parts are constantly superseding to new numbers- the number shown in the "catalog list" is whatever the number was at manufacture. Superseded numbers require you to make further steps (such as placing the part in a shopping cart).

Dealer should reference Service Bulletin 2022-018 regarding Power Trim Motor. There may be something else wrong with it... but if it's simply the trim motor, most commonly the trim motor itself can be replaced.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor