Curado 70 HG MGL issue

Having some issues with a Curado 70 MGL. It has become very noisy on the retrieve and almost sounds like the spool is rubbing on something. I have taken the spool out to make sure there are no issues with it. I don’t see or feel any. I have taken off spool tension knob, pulled bearing and cleaned behind it. Replaced bearing. I have oiled both handle and side plate bearings. Oiled line guide, etc. I only hear and feel the issue when turing the handle. If I spin the spool without turing handle there are no issues. What am I missing?

2. Member
    Gear noise?

3. Member
    Possibly…….I have never had this issue before so I’m not really sure what I’m hearing and feeling.

If you’ve been using for chuck and wind applications I would suspect gearing, and or inner Xship bearing. If your hearing a whiny noise it’s gearing, scratchy sound bearing(s) and fyi once they start making noise oiling will help but not solve. Need replacing. Dan
    Last edited by reelex; 09-30-2022 at 06:10 PM.
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

5. Member
    It has been used a fair amount for both chunk n wind and bottom contact stuff. It’s mainly been shared between my 2 kids as it fits their hands better with the smaller profile. I may replace bearings and if that does not get it done, it may have to make a trip to you. Appreciate the help!

FYI- turned out to be bad X-Ship bearings inner and outer. Good to go now, and fast! . Dan

7. Member
    Appreciate the help Dan and also the time you took to talk reels as well.

Anytime glad I could help

9. Member
    Good deal, glad you got your reel fixed. Dan is the man.

10. Member
    not related to your issue but how do you like that reel otherwise? how do you fish it, lures/sizes,? how is it compared to your other reels, maybe the Curado 150?

11. Member
    To be honest…..I don’t have a lot of time on it. My kids took it over. They love it. Smaller profile and fits their hands well. I will say before they claimed it, I found myself really liking it for jerkbaits and casting finesse jigs with. Overall it has held up well with fairly heavy use. It’s definitely a smaller profile than the Curado 150. I feel like the 150 is a more versatile reel. Hard to beat in that price range.

12. Member
    thank you for your reply. I already have the previous non-MGL 70 and like it except the drag is silly weak. I'm going to pull it apart and look at it tonight.

Anyway, I almost got the new one but my dealer only had it in the XG and I picked up a 150HG instead. I may have to pick one up to try out

13. Member
    Your welcome. I think you will be happy with the reel. I have not had any issues with or felt like the drag is weak on the new version.