Recommendations on a new shakey head rod

Needing a new shakey head rod, any recommendations for under $200-$250 max? Thanks!

2. Member
    Basically every reputable company makes a good-to-great rod in that price point.

My personal favorite shaky head rods over the last few years were the Falcon Expert 'Finesse Jig' spinning rod and the ALX Zolo 'Maestro', which hit the sweet spot of versatile and value. I flirted with some nicer rods here and there, like the Megabass Orochi XX Shakyhead rod, but I always went back to one of those two. And if you're looking for an incredible value, I'd be remiss to mention the Daiwa Tatula line of rods (not the Elites). I think the 7'0" medium Tatula spinning rod is one of their unicorns in that whole lineup.

Casting or spinning?
    What weight do you typically use?

The ZOLO Maestro is a rock solid spinning rod for shakeys and our most popular shakey head rod after the ENOX Wizard. If you like casting - the OXIM Trance is a very good option US built at $200. I also recommend the OXIM Tremor - but we are currently out of stock. We've redesigned the blank and it's going to be a big upgrade from the previous Tremors. They should be ready in the next week or so.

I also recommend our in depth rod selector - it goes way past just filtering rods based on length or power like most do. It digs down into your technique and how you are fishing to make sure we recommend the correct rod. You can access it here -> www.alxrods.com/bassfishing (just scroll down a little)

You can always call us and talk thru specific needs for a recommendation as well.

4. Member
    I just picked up the Tatula Elite Randy Howell shakey Rod. I like It so far.
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

5. Member
    ALX Zolo Maestro is an excellent choice in that price range. We keep a Shakey head tied on 100% of the time & gets fished every trip.

6. Member
    Thanks for the replies. Cidgrad, I prefer spinning rod for shakey head. The maestro has been recommended by about all you guys. Think I might give it a try. Appreciate it!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke512 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Cidgrad, I prefer spinning rod for shakey head. The maestro has been recommended by about all you guys. Think I might give it a try. Appreciate it!
    Good choice I like mine, hope it works for you.

8. Member
    What ounce shakey head and lure are you folks throwing on the Maestro...1/8...3/16?
    2016 Ranger Z518 - 150 HP Mercury 4-Stroke

Quote Originally Posted by kailor View Post
    What ounce shakey head and lure are you folks throwing on the Maestro...1/8...3/16?
    It's pretty versatile. Most of our clients fish up to 1/4oz with a small worm. To me 3/8s is the sweet spot (but then again that's what I always throw). Always factor in the weight of the plastic when you are looking at lure weight. A lot of people only focus on the terminal portion.

If you tend to go only 1/16 to 1/8 on a shakey or want something that's also great for NEDs and dropshot - the ZOLO Trickster is the ticket.

All of these are in stock. No issues there!

10. Member
    We always throw 1/8 - 3/16 plus worm on Maestro & love it. We also have Shake 7 and rotate between shakey, ned, or drop shot as it fishes all of them well.