Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Banned
    who ever designed these charging stations def forgot about people towing stuff

2. Member
    My neighbor has a Rivian and he's been towing his large ski boat all summer. One day I saw the Rivian on a flatbed being towed home and the ski boat being towed by an old Chevy truck. Not sure if it ran out of juice or if it was a mechanical issue, but he was back to towing the next weekend. I'm not sure how far he's traveling or what lake he's going to.
    2009 Tracker Pro 170 TX - Mercury 40 HP EFI

3. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    I'm seeing gas lines in Florida miles long and stations are running out of gas on social media. Meanwhile, EV owners are charging at home
    Just wait till there is no electricity......they wont be charging anything ......
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    Just wait till there is no electricity......they wont be charging anything ......
    When did gas pumps get magic pixie dust that allows them to run without electricity?

5. Member
    lol guys soooo concerned about towing range, but then are scared to admit that their V8 only gets 300 miles to a non-extra large fuel tank while towing.

Its not like the automotive industry has had 100 years to make vehicles more fuel efficient...certainly no one will ever figure out a way to increase the range of electric vehicles in the next 100 years.
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

6. Member
    So many on this board who seem to think that just because EV's exist means companies are done innovating them. I don't recall Henry Ford building a Pagani out of his factory in Detroit and I wonder how much range you'd have if you tried to pull a bass boat behind a Model T? EV's are in their infancy and the necessary support infrastructure is growing. Don't like them? Don't buy them (yet), but the writing is already on the wall for gas vehicles regardless.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by champ223 View Post
    I think the rivian is classified as a 3/4 ton
    For it to be classified as a 1500# carrying capacity, all it would need is a suspension that is capable of such load in accordance with the DOT. Though, as it has already been pointed out, how far of a distance can it carry that load vs an ICE vehicle, which with a 5 minute stop at a fueling station, is as far as your hart's desires.
    It is the same pretence of them having a very fast 0-100 mph time, which you can see it getting longer after a few hits due to battery recovery time and power loss.

8. Member
    I haven’t owned a car in over 40 years. Need a truck that can tow. When we had Power safety shut offs for fire hazard most of the bigger gas stations put generators in so gas isn’t an issue besides the high prices

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thamelau View Post
    When did gas pumps get magic pixie dust that allows them to run without electricity?
    That pixie dust is called a backup generator when your provider craps out.

10. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    We have pixie dust down here.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tr20josh View Post
    So many on this board who seem to think that just because EV's exist means companies are done innovating them. I don't recall Henry Ford building a Pagani out of his factory in Detroit and I wonder how much range you'd have if you tried to pull a bass boat behind a Model T? EV's are in their infancy and the necessary support infrastructure is growing. Don't like them? Don't buy them (yet), but the writing is already on the wall for gas vehicles regardless.
    When Henry Ford built the first Model T, he didn't call it 'the cutting edge of transportation' but a horseless carriage. So, according to all the EV promoters, they are supposed to be the newest and greatest innovation in transportation. I have no doubt that they will have a place in the future of transportation, with many variables in their mix, but the national electrical grid issues should be resolved well ahead of going full out with them, or ending up looking as stupid as Californico with their announcement of no more ICE vehicles, yet 2 weeks later asking people not to charge their EV during pick use hours. Does that make sense??

12. Banned
    You believers go ahead and buy one, we don't care, BUT leave the rest of us alone. I don't believe in ghosts, fairies, unicorns or "green" energy. All energy sources require components made from OIL and have a carbon footprint. Windmills have carbon fiber blades. EVs and the batteries require plastics made from oil. What about disposal?

I can see me owning an EV in the future. Likely a smaller vehicle like a compact truck (Maverick or Ranger size) or a small SUV, just to have for a grocery getter or to go to town and back. But, I have to say, I don't ever see me NOT owning a ICE truck to tow with either.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    When Henry Ford built the first Model T, he didn't call it 'the cutting edge of transportation' but a horseless carriage. So, according to all the EV promoters, they are supposed to be the newest and greatest innovation in transportation. I have no doubt that they will have a place in the future of transportation, with many variables in their mix, but the national electrical grid issues should be resolved well ahead of going full out with them, or ending up looking as stupid as Californico with their announcement of no more ICE vehicles, yet 2 weeks later asking people not to charge their EV during pick use hours. Does that make sense??
    He may not have used the phrase "cutting edge of transportation," but that's no doubt what it was at the time, as are EV's now, although for different reasons. "Cutting edge" doesn't mean "outperforming everything that already exists." Yes, there are hurdles to get over before they become ubiquitous, but guys here act like EV's are a fad, which is absurd.

15. Member
    No problem with towing with an EV.....just with the range hit and charging time.

Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    I'm seeing gas lines in Florida miles long and stations are running out of gas on social media. Meanwhile, EV owners are charging at home
    Until the grid goes down. Tell us how the EV owners in Puerto Rico are doing?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tr20josh View Post
    Don't like them? Don't buy them (yet), but the writing is already on the wall for gas vehicles regardless.
    This is my only issue. I don’t have a problem with EV’s or people who want them. I just don’t want one forced on me, or to have to pay for the states charging stations. The government needs to keep out of it, let private enterprise deal with it. Elon can pay for the charging stations and he can charge customers to get his money back. I don’t want it, or to pay for it. Those who do can.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    That pixie dust is called a backup generator when your provider craps out.
    It's almost like these generators that everyone says will run the fuel pumps are incapable of providing exactly what an EV needs... The answer to both problems in a disaster is the same. Use a generator to make electricity pump gas or use a generator to make electricity.

19. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rulebender View Post
    Until the grid goes down. Tell us how the EV owners in Puerto Rico are doing?

Surprisingly there's Tesla superchargers there, a showroom and Tesla has been installing mega packs and solar, I'd say they're doing pretty well considering their history with storms and the power grid.
    Thanos was the hero

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryFL View Post
    You believers go ahead and buy one, we don't care, BUT leave the rest of us alone. I don't believe in ghosts, fairies, unicorns or "green" energy. All energy sources require components made from OIL and have a carbon footprint. Windmills have carbon fiber blades. EVs and the batteries require plastics made from oil. What about disposal?
    couldnt be…someone once again speaking in 100% absolutes. Lol by this logic we shouldn’t recycle easy to recycle materials either because not everything in the world is recyclable lol.

ev’s in 20 years from now? Will surely 1. Be more efficient than ICB’s, have longer range, emit less pollution, and outperform the icb as they already do.

Old guys also tried to tell me before the pandemic that we would never move to a more home based office environment when I told them that within a decade most office workers would not be in the physical office 5 days a week…and here we are.

inefficiencies and cost saving measures always win. You’ve seen gas prices this past year, you tell me that you enjoy the cost of filling up?
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast