Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS

Old deer mounts.

Strange question. The other day I was admiring my deer head mounts (20+) and realized nobody cares for them but me. I love going into my rooms and seeing them as they bring back great memories and happiness. I asked my 2 girls what they would do with them when I pass and only one said she may take one. Nobody is interested in them. I have a guy that has a hunt cabin and he is about 15 years younger than I and he may take some but I never asked. So the question - What do you do with them? Has anyone had this dilemma. haha I'm healthy but just wondering.
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

Most time if you advertise them people will buy them. I will probably be in the same situation with all my mounts and hunting/fishing gear. Can't imagine if they just throw it all away, but i'm not telling them how much it cost, are you?

3. Member
    It's very disheartening to understand how little others care about the things that are important to us. Enjoy them by reminiscing the memories of how they were acquired as much as you can and just accept the fact that once you're gone they will leave with you.

Old Syko - Exactly. Especially as much as they mean to us and I'm still collecting with the best yet to come.

Cape cod basser - Nobody asks me what they cost. I just dropped $750 for an antelope a couple weeks ago. For me its no worries what I do with my money but yes thinking about the total cost of my mounts is pretty eye opening!
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

5. mikesxpress
    James it's a personal preference thing. I don't have any animal mounts. My antlers go to my uncle who makes custom knives. I do have two walls of trophy fresh/saltwater fish. My Dad has my 1st 8 point whitetail he had mounted for me when I was 11 years old along with 18 other large Illinois bucks he personally harvested over the years. He is 85 and has asked us kids multiple times as to who wants them we he goes and none of us want them. They occupy allot of room and we don't have the memory attachment to them he does. Bass Pro/Cabela's used to offer a "nickel on a dollar" for them for store mounts but there not building many new stores anymore. A few bars and some new log cabin owners buy a few. Just tough to sell them or even donate them.
    In my will/trust both my son and daughter agreed they wanted to split my fish mounts so that's included.

The last one I posted in the free stuff category on craigslist, Moving and need to get rid of a small 10 point deer mount. Gentleman got it, said it was for a disabled buddy of his who could't hunt and always wanted a mount for his den.

I've also removed the hide and antlers off a couple of old mounts and taken them to the woods for a more natural end.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv/LVS34
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

7. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    I have 15 mounts, when I move some probably won’t make the trip.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

Roddy - Why? because no room, lost interest, lost importance... Just wondering. Heck At this point in my life they are very important and I would save some if a fire broke out...

Shoot a PM maybe I can take some if you just tossing them. I have 2 guys that make stuff and have a small lodge always asking me for some.

9. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BOW4UM View Post
    Roddy - Why? because no room, lost interest, lost importance... Just wondering. Heck At this point in my life they are very important and I would save some if a fire broke out...

Shoot a PM maybe I can take some if you just tossing them. I have 2 guys that make stuff and have a small lodge always asking me for some.
    When we move, we plan to down size and I doubt there will be room for them all. I still look at them a vividly remember the hunt, but not like I used to.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC

Bring Back Gluten!!!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
    When we move, we plan to down size and I doubt there will be room for them all. I still look at them a vividly remember the hunt, but not like I used to.
    If you were to just throw some away maybe give away the antlers to people who make knives. I would love to come up with a bunch of elk sheds. Buddy made a beautiful chandelier with a bunch.

11. Member
    I had 3 shoulder deer mounts. A 7, 8, and a 10 point.

Was preparing to move to a new house I had built and had a garage sale. First buyer shows up early and when I opened the garage
    the first question was what will you take for the deer mounts? I told him they were not part of the sale. He was persistent and said he really wanted to buy them. I had been trying to decide where to hang them at my new house and was not coming up with a good plan. After thinking about it a few minutes I gave him a price thinking he would leave. He pulls the cash out of his pocket and paid me then left without buying another single item.

I still have the memories but can honestly say I do not miss them.

P.S. I still deer hunt some but have no intention of paying a taxidermist any more money.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

12. Member
    They are just trophies and wont mean anything or much to anyone they get left to. Lets be real most dont have any of their parents sports trophies etc. Maybe if it was something like an olympic medal etc you might. I have a room full of marble and plastic trophies, plaques, and cups. I think the only reason I keep them is when im on a conference call they are in the background and make me look like a bad ass LOL.

My dad past away in 2015. He has over 100 mounts in his living room. Mom still lives there, so no rush to do anything with them. But it's going to be interesting when the day comes. Me and my 4 brothers just don't have the room for them. There will be a few that we will want to keep around. But I'm hoping that Bass Pro might take some of them since he was pretty will known as a bowhunter. But when the time comes it's going to really suck!
    Darrall Dougherty

14. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by darrall View Post
    But I'm hoping that Bass Pro might take some of them since he was pretty will known as a bowhunter.
    Us old guys know who he was.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC

Bring Back Gluten!!!

15. Member
    My dad past away in 2015. He has over 100 mounts in his living room. Mom still lives there, so no rush to do anything with them. But it's going to be interesting when the day comes. Me and my 4 brothers just don't have the room for them. There will be a few that we will want to keep around. But I'm hoping that Bass Pro might take some of them since he was pretty will known as a bowhunter. But when the time comes it's going to really suck!
    There could be more than just Bass pro as an option. Local fishing / hunuting stores, lodges like VFD etc. Maybe boy scout locations. I know we have a big one not too far from here. Marinas near hunting grounds.Might be a piece here and a piece there deal but hey if you are out and around one stop in and have a pic on your phone. Never know.

I am quite certain no one will care about my taxidermy when I’m gone. Each one tells a story to me, but probably not to anyone else. I just moved all of them from Corpus Christi, TX to Arkansas, and it was a job. Just hung a couple in my living room today. I most likely won’t have any more done unless they are something super special. Will probably add a 30”+ Axis buck at some point.

Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

17. Member
    Contact the Pope & Young Club. They'd probably put up a wing in the new museum just for your dad's honor.

18. Member
    There are also a few companies that specialize in trophy room liquidation. I see their ads in the Safari Club publications quite often.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
    Us old guys know who he was.
    A lot remember hearing or seeing Jim Doughtery.

Darrall - man Id love to have on of his! Be an honor!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast