Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WranglerSS View Post
    What component on the R motors makes it different for lithium use?
    It may be the little plate with the serial number and stickers on the cowling that indicate that it is a product of Mercury Racing, and therefore subject to a different set of decision makers at Mercury Marine.

Very useful post, by the way.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WranglerSS View Post
    What component on the R motors makes it different for lithium use?
    Perhaps the serial tag as indicated above- but also the intended duty cycle and RPM range COULD factor into it.

Time will tell...

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Anybody have a approve list of batteries to use yet?

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by supra360 View Post
    Anybody have a approve list of batteries to use yet?

You're a funny dude!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Any opinion as to when and if the Optis will come into approval?

Thanks Don!
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

Don you are the man.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

Is the pro mentioned above the 2 stroke pro xs?
    Phoenix 921ProXP Mercury 250 ProXS

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixDrew View Post
    Is the pro mentioned above the 2 stroke pro xs?
    No. At present, ONLY the listed Fourstroke Models have been listed as "permitted to use" Lithiums that meet (or exceed) the LISTED SPECIFICATIONS.

10. Member
    Excellent! Now I can get a Cranking Relion to go with my 3 Relions for my TM! If the big NorthStar ever kicks the bucket...

11. Member
    Great news!
    2019 z18 175 ProXs 4 stroke, DC, 10 Ft Power Pole Blades, Relion lithium batteries, Ghost trolling motor, Lowrance Live's, SS structure, Airmar TM150, Vessel View Link, PowerPole Charge.

12. Member
    Interesting that Bass Pro markets this battery as a tli100-hp tracker lithium, made by relion and labeled as such. It appears to be the same battery as the rb100-hp, In fact, when comparing the discharge curves, they are identical, as are all other specs except the CCA of 800 for 8 sec vs tracker 800 for 2 sec, and IP of 67 vs tracker IP of 66. So it doesn't look the tracker qualifies, although it is identical in every other way.

And as far as qualifying, we all know that most all brand lithium cranking batteries work just fine. It boils down to warranty denial when something goes wrong. I suspect that most manufacturers are going to have some problems <publishing> specs that meet requirements as listed, especially 800 amps for 8 seconds. I have some doubts the relion will do this, but it doesn't really matter, does it? As long as my warranty is not denied!

Its no mystery that the service bulletin specs are taken from the rb100-hp, and then the link showing a battery that meets those specs. Mercury has spoken, and Mercury wants you to use a "Mercury" battery. So be it.
    Last edited by bellaireroad; 10-07-2022 at 12:39 AM.

Reminds me of writing equipment specs while in the fire service.
    If you were diligent in writing them, you could get the exact stuff you wanted.
    Not what the city bean counter would put out for low bid.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That CCA of 800 amps for 8 seconds would be a key indicator of a battery designed specifically for Cranking purposes (and correlates to the Smartcraft-Start system used on ALL of the listed outboards, since that system would time-out at 7 seconds).

Having a battery capable of at least 1 more second at 800 CCA (than what the Starter's duty cycle can possibly demand) seems like a very reasonable expectation.

15. Member
    Certainly good news and blessings from Merc. Been lovin IONIC Lithium Batteries for a long time. I'm sure you would like the IONIC with Bluetooth and low prices.

RangerZ - IONIC Batteries, Lithiumhub.com

16. Member
    I just confirm Dakota Lithium cranking batteries do not meet Mercury specification.

Quote:

"Thank you for your email.

At this time Mercury is not recommending our batteries as a replacement due to incompatibility issues.

The problem is that the charging circuit goes over 15.5v which will kill the battery. So far two issues happen: battery gets killed at high RPMs and voltage jumps up and down on idle.

I apologize I cannot be more helpful.

Kind regards"

17. Member
    So far the only one I've found is the Relion RB 100 HP is the only one that meets the Mercury specs (and Relion happens to be owned by Brunswick Marine). Both Relion and Dakota's specs are a little below what Mercury requires. The tracker lithium is made by Relion but specs are similar to the Relion RB100, not the RB 100 HP......so it doesn't currently meet Mercury specs either.

As for Opti's. I know several people running the smaller Dakota 1000 CCA 60 amp single batteries with Opimax 250 xs' and 300 xs' without issue for a year now. Doubtful Mercury will release approval for the opti's as they're all out of warranty now (for the most part) so why do the testing etc.

That is incorrect. Relion is not the only one that meets Mercury specs
    https://lithiumpros.com/collections/...arting-battery
    2024 Bass Cat Puma STS
    2024 Mercury V8 ProXS 250hp

19. Member
    The Mercury electrical issue and fried batteries has been around for so many years it can't be counted. The lithium voided warranty has been a long time hoax also. There should be more clarity from Mercury on the battery and warranty issue. To go back and include almost all their engines "NOW" is kinda...."DUH". If it weren't for the Varado it probably would have never been mentioned at all. Mercury needs to step up.
    I know quite a few basser's in my area running the Ionic cranking 125 Amp battery with Mercury's and "NO" problems. If you are serious about going lithium, check out Ionic. Plenty of info on their website. I like the lithium technology and have been very pleased with the good characteristics of lithium. So much better than "lead acid" and "AGM" hands down.

RangerZ - IONIC Batteries, Lithiumhub.com

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RMG63
    That is incorrect. Relion is not the only one that meets Mercury specs
    https://lithiumpros.com/collections/...arting-battery
    I did go to their site, but have been unable to find specifications that match or exceed the ones published. If you have a link to those- please provide as that can be valuable information for consumers.

Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    The Mercury electrical issue and fried batteries has been around for so many years it can't be counted. The lithium voided warranty has been a long time hoax also. There should be more clarity from Mercury on the battery and warranty issue. To go back and include almost all their engines "NOW" is kinda...."DUH". If it weren't for the Varado it probably would have never been mentioned at all. Mercury needs to step up.
    I know quite a few basser's in my area running the Ionic cranking 125 Amp battery with Mercury's and "NO" problems. If you are serious about going lithium, check out Ionic. Plenty of info on their website. I like the lithium technology and have been very pleased with the good characteristics of lithium. So much better than "lead acid" and "AGM" hands down.
    1. Not really "most of their engines"- it was actually the current (and recent) production model 4-Strokes that are equipped with SMART START features. None of the 2-strokes fell into that category (with exception of a few DTS Optimax engines).

2. "Weren't for the Verado": The lions share of the engines listed as "acceptable to use Lithium Iron Phosphate Cranking Battery that meets or exceeds specifications" are ELECTRONIC THROTTLE AND SHIFT engines. Control of the engine is dependent on continuous and correct battery voltage/amperage at all times when underway.

3. If you (or others) find BATTERY MANUFACTURER PUBLISHED specifications that indicate an acceptable battery, please post a link to the info. It would be great to have an expanded battery list that includes these batteries.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast