Guage problems after engine rebuild 1998 Johnson Venom 200

J200STLECE. Just had my 1998 Johnson Venom rebuilt and it's running great during the break in. Only problem is none of my gauges work now, except water pressure or course. I'm going to take it back to the shop, but it's an hour away. Looking for any suggestions on where to look for a quick fix.

I did the break in hours based on previous knowledge of speed VS rpm before rebuilding, so the gauges weren't critical, but I want them working of course. All the battery connections were good, but there's obviously a loose connection somewhere. During my ride they did come on for about 10 minutes. That was after an hour or riding around.

Also, my throttle lever got stuck in forward. I know it's the lever, because I disconnected the cable and the lower unit shifts easily. Can't get to the set screw, since it's stuck in forward, so I can't get the handle off. It's the style with the controls inside the boat and only the handle exposed. Any suggestions? Had to bypass the neutral safety switch to get back to the ramp.
    Last edited by Mgfan58; 09-26-2022 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Added model number

2. Member
    Figured out the shifting problem. Shop left the throttle cable attached when they installed the hot foot. Cable fell between the side and battery. Jammed it so the cable couldn’t move.

Still looking for help with my wiring problem. Either the boat, 1998 201d Cobra, or motor, 1998 Johnson 200 Venom, has a loose connection somewhere. Tach, trim, fuel, not reading anything now.

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    check the MWS connectors on the port side of the motor for tach and trim wiring connections. Fuel is a boat issue not a motor issue. Here is the schematic for the boat side connections on the MWS harness.
    MWS.jpg
    Red is your system check tach/gauge connection, blue is analog connection for tach, yellow for trim.

4. Member
    Appreciate the reply.

They all quit after the engine rebuild. Trim, tach, fuel, and Voltage gauge as well. Anything that they all have in common? Going to pull the battery out and see if a ground got left undone. Shop hasn’t returned calls or emails.

5. Member
    The common wire is the ground as you see in the diagram from Championman

6. Member
    I’ve been tracing the ground wires and I haven’t found where it’s open yet. I did find a bad wire on the ignition switch. Purple and white wire was barely holding on. Soldered it back to the connector and didn’t change anything. While I was checking wires tonight, some of the gauges came on briefly, but I’m not sure why. I had pulled some connectors apart and put them back together. When it quit, I tried that again and no luck. I know it’s a bad connection, but it’s making itself hard to find. I’ll have more time tomorrow to tear into it

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Purple/white is for power to the primer solenoid.

8. Member
    Ran a direct from battery ground to several gauges and still no luck except random operation. Ignition is putting power out to the purple lead. Have 12 volts on the purple lead when they’re working, they just don’t work all the time. Going to try to run power to the gauges and see if I can get them to work that way. Also ordered a new ignition switch, but probably heading to a shop next. Not limber enough to spend all day in the floor any more, and don’t want to pull the entire dash out to get to them, so I’m about to give up on it.