Looking for replacement guide on 2020 Diawa Steez

I bought a Steez STZ751MMHFB Bottom Contact casting rod (not the newest rendition of the Steez) and the guide just above the reel seat broke. I believe this rod has the Air Guide AGS SiC guides.

I called Diawa and they don't/won't sell me one or refer me to someone who can sell me one. Anyone know where I can get one? I have someone local who can do the replacement so I'm not interested in sending it out for repair.
    Note: I'm not the original owner so Diawa will charge me dearly to send it cross country for a repair.

I'm in the same boat for a customer rod right now myself. Diawa hasn't told me no just yet so we will see where this goes but I got a feeling I'll end up in the same spot with a no and asking the customer if they want to send it in.

3. Member
    Do you have a suggested alternative replacement guide if Diawa doesn't come through?

4. Member
    It sucks that Daiwa won't sell those or even send you one as a replacement. I've had to repair one where the frame broke but it was a spinning stripper, I just used a black Concept that I had that was the right size, he didn't care. Unfortunately aesthetically whatever else you put on there is just going to look different. I'd just go with a Fuji K series SIC in black titanium and call it a day. I think it's a size 10 ring for the stripper but might be an 8. The SKU is T2KWSG10S (for the 10)

Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    It sucks that Daiwa won't sell those or even send you one as a replacement. I've had to repair one where the frame broke but it was a spinning stripper, I just used a black Concept that I had that was the right size, he didn't care. Unfortunately aesthetically whatever else you put on there is just going to look different. I'd just go with a Fuji K series SIC in black titanium and call it a day. I think it's a size 10 ring for the stripper but might be an 8. The SKU is T2KWSG10S (for the 10)
    Yep that's exactly the route I go if customer approves and I get the no from Diawa.

6. Member
    Can anyone confirm that the stripper guide size is an 8bor a 20?
    And I agree, the Fuji K Sic is the way to go. Where can I order one?

7. Member
    ...meant to say, " size 8 or 10"

8. Member
    You're going to have to measure it with a caliper...it's in mm. Measure the outside of the ring. I was just going off how it kind of looked in the one picture I could find online of an AGS casting stripper. Do you have a picture of the broken guide, maybe next to a ruler for reference?

I did find some on Ebay but they are pricey. They have been stripped from probably broken rods. Most of them are also coming from Singapore. You can get a set of casting for $119. Some single guides are saw were as high as $75. From what I can find you'd need either Type B1 or type B2 (Daiwa's sizing system). Those were like $40 each.

GetBit has a 10 in stock but not an 8 Voodoo carries them too but don't know about their inventory.

Obviously it's up to you but IMO the Fuji will work just fine.

9. Member
    I have replaced a guide on a Steez in the past, I went through the same BS with Daiwa on their exclusive guides (which by the way I personally don't like) I wound up getting a black titanium and when it was all done you had to look close to even know it was a different guide than the rest. The guide I did was a mid rod guide so it was smaller and less obvious but these work fine,

10. Member
    The number of guides lost and the lack of replacement guides on those rods would sure curb my enthusiasm for using them. I saw some saltwater guides on sale once using carbon frames, if I remember right the prices started at $160 ea. and went up from there.

11. Member
    These rods, at least the current version, say that you should not use a leader to braid setup with the rods since the knot can damage the guide. If you do use a leader, to make it a short leader so the knot does not pass through the guides. I have no use for a leader that short since I fish clear water. I like a long leader, more like 6-12' to also allow for a few reties.