Rivers this weekend

Fished Powdermill/Bennington Bogs Saturday from 10-1, not expecting much with the cold front and blue skies. Nothing going on in the launch bay, the next backwater up or the timbered elbow. The shallows are super clear, not much bait in them. Main stem temp was 55 and a little colored. Switched to fishing wood right on the channel lip downriver and got three from 2.5#-3.5# in short order. Left them biting.

Stuck with the theme and headed to the Merrimack in Concord Sunday for a half-day. Had my eye on the laydowns above the launch, but there was a Stratos taking his time on them, so I headed to the backwaters. Nothing going in the side channel on plastic or jerks. Got three small keepers on the T-rig in the 393 backwater. Tons of small bait back there... worked the heck out the area with a jerkbait but only caught crappie on that. Ran down to the Manch bridge and got a SM on a squarebill and two on a Bandit 200 (all 2#-3#) and dropped two more on the Bandit. Gotta love big smallies in current! Rain came in, so I skipped some of the old abutments north of there and trailered out. Temp was 58.

Other than dropping fish, that Bandit had been a pleasant surprise this season, Runs about 6' deep on 10/12# - a couple feet shallower than a 3XD. Super stable at speed, and casts well.

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

Nice report I don't like how cold the water is already.
    I just haven't been able to get on a crank bait bite at all this year.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TMG View Post
    I don't like how cold the water is already.
    I just haven't been able to get on a crank bait bite at all this year.
    Yeah, Bennington surprised me too! (not in a good way)

Postspawn crank bite was fantastic for me. It blew my mind how many big fish stayed on the banks after "spring was over". A discontinued LC shallow runner (5'-6') schooled me at Island, Franklin, Gregg and Massasecum.
    It was mostly the 6XD once summer settled in (less consistent than the spring for sure though). The Rk55 held it's own.

I have 5 baits on deck:
    Bandit 200 (6')
    Rk55 (never have a clue which color it will be) (10')
    Dredger in perch (14ish)
    Damiki DC300 (14')
    6XD (18-19')
    Used/caught a bunch w/ the Tactical Bassin mid-depth (15') last year quite a bit. Should sub it for the Dredger, which has been a little disappointing considering all the perch in these places!

I love a spring / fall shallow crankbait bite. I just could't get it to work for me this year...yet...
    I struggle to catch anything on a crankbait over 10 feet but love throwing dt3's and 7's.
    I got a few dredgers, they look awesome...All I got was a crappie though. lol
    this year I've thrown more keitech swimbaits up for shallow bass in the spring.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax