Question Rain turns touch switches on and off

I have a nitro z20 2021 with the touch switch panel, i was in a tournament this weekend with some heavy rain, as i was running around my horn was going off automatically nonstop, i looked liked a maniac lol.
    The water on the switch made the horn go off, i was afraid it would turn my livewells off also, is there a tip to stop rain from playing with the switches?

Thanks!
    Nitro z20 2021 with 250 Mercury Pro XS 4 stroke serial # 3B010400

2. Member
    The switch panel on the nitro boats is the one thing that gets the most complaints, I've had to replace the switch panel twice, and I've only owned the boat for 3 years. For the one now installed, I applied a non permanent sealant, (can't remember the brand name) to the back side before mounting. I also applied a small amount of clear sealant around the edges of the faceplate to try to keep water out. Since doing this I haven't had any issues with water causing malfunctions. However, since applying the sealant, I haven't fished in any hard rain conditions. I've been out in mild on and off rain, and no issues so far, but again, not any heavy rain situations.
    USAF Retired 1981-2004
    Police Detective Retired 2004-2022

3. Member
    is there a way to replace the touch switches with regular switches?
    Nitro z20 2021 with 250 Mercury Pro XS 4 stroke serial # 3B010400

4. Member
    Check your 20 amp breaker for voltage output. Wondering if low voltage would cause the panels to go out. Thought mine was bad , but the breaker was the culprit.
    Gmc40

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtTricks View Post
    is there a way to replace the touch switches with regular switches?
    No kit out there yet. I’d be interested in buying if someone figured out a conversion kit. Such a dumb design having switches that don’t do well with wet fingers or in the rain on a boat.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

6. Member
    I was washing my 2021 z20 several months back and the water would drip off my graph and hit the horn and it would honk.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    No kit out there yet. I’d be interested in buying if someone figured out a conversion kit. Such a dumb design having switches that don’t do well with wet fingers or in the rain on a boat.
    Couldn't agree more! If someone would produce a switch mounting plate that doesn't look like crap, the rest would be relatively easy and far more trustworthy.
    Ted
    2021 Z19 Pro

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by terribleTED View Post
    Couldn't agree more! If someone would produce a switch mounting plate that doesn't look like crap, the rest would be relatively easy and far more trustworthy.
    Definitely wouldn’t be an easy conversion kit to come up with. Especially with how the touch pad processing is tied in with the fuse block / ecm. Limited panel space as well.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    Definitely wouldn’t be an easy conversion kit to come up with. Especially with how the touch pad processing is tied in with the fuse block / ecm. Limited panel space as well.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I can tell, the only function of the ecm other than housing the relays or transistors that activate the pumps, lights, horn is the timing circuits for the pumps. My thought is to eliminate the ECM altogether. Stand alone pump timers are available, so that just leaves the issue of physically mounting the appropriate switches in a panel that fits. Of course I'm just shooting from the hip here, I could be completely wrong.
    Ted
    2021 Z19 Pro

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by terribleTED View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I can tell, the only function of the ecm other than housing the relays or transistors that activate the pumps, lights, horn is the timing circuits for the pumps. My thought is to eliminate the ECM altogether. Stand alone pump timers are available, so that just leaves the issue of physically mounting the appropriate switches in a panel that fits. Of course I'm just shooting from the hip here, I could be completely wrong.
    When I was having issues with my system (power switch wouldn't light, no touch panel function), I tried replacing the panel only and it did nothing. Ended up taking it to the dealer and they replaced the touch panel, ecm and power button. I'm guessing they are all tied together unfortunately. I now have a spare ECM and touch panel so I should be ok, but its not exactly an easy fix on the water or anything like a $5 toggle switch would be.

11. Member
    ECM is tied to start switch and everything powered by main power switch. It wont run with a bad ecm and trying to wire switches would be real job, if not impossible with the way the ecm is tied to everything. You can start the boat with the main power off, but not with a bad ecm
    2020 Nitro Z20 250 Pro XS

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewerbass View Post
    ECM is tied to start switch and everything powered by main power switch. It wont run with a bad ecm and trying to wire switches would be real job, if not impossible with the way the ecm is tied to everything. You can start the boat with the main power off, but not with a bad ecm
    Are you sure? I was able to run my boat with a bad ecm. I couldn’t turn on anchor light or anything like that, but the engine ran. I think it’s getting a separate power source.

13. Member
    What’s one of the switch panels cost? Mine just took a crap in my 2019 Z20.
    Robert Williams
    2019 Nitro Z20
    2019 Mercury 250 Pro XS

14. Member
    I ordered mine direct from Spyder Controls for my 2020 Z19 was $154.16 delivered but every year is a little different price and they aren’t all the same so make sure you get the proper year for your boat! I got one for a 2021 by mistake and it didn’t work and I had to send it back and get the 2020 panel they said the programming is different.
    Last edited by IronMj; 10-28-2022 at 01:26 AM.