Thread: JDM retailers

JDM retailers

This may be a silly question, but…

I’ve been reading lots of positive reviews recently about purchasing reels from JDM retailers such as digitaka. I wondered if these reels carry any type of warranty when you purchase overseas, or if you have a problem, would the reel manufacturer (Shimano/daiwa) honor their warranty on a jdm product?

Got my eye on the jdm zillion sv, but still wondering if I should pull the trigger.

2. Member
    No.

to be fair though, have you ever used a reel warranty?

3. Member
    The Japanese Yen is the weakest it has been against the US Dollar in 24-years, now is the time to buy JDM fishing tackle, warranty or not!
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

4. Member
    You won’t need warranty. Do It.
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

5. Member
    Yep no more likely to break then a US model. If you are buying Daiwa/Shimano you are already buying two of the best brand reels. Should you need to have a repair done any US shop can do the work and parts are the same for the most part. Don’t fall for the car salesman pitch of needing a warranty. Odds are very much in your favor that you won’t ever need it.

Needing warranty work on a reel may not be common, but as a Daiwa Warranty and Repair Center, The Tackle Trap sees a lot more than most. Ask some of the guys who have purchased JDM Magsealed reels who are now using them as paperweight because Daiwa Japan won't sell the repair parts. It's definitely something to consider especially when looking at the higher end models. US Steez and Exist models have a 5 year Executive Service plan good for free cleanings and repairs over 5 years. That's a fact, not a sales pitch, and it is a tremendous value added component Daiwa puts on their flagship US models.

7. Banned
    I’ve never owned a magseal, but I’ve got plenty of high-end JDM Daiwas and I’ve never had trouble getting parts from PLAT.

Same goes for Shimano.

I love buying JDM. The aftermarket bfs is incredible.

got on a bit of a JDM kick here recently. I love them will not probably use anything other than JDM reels from now on.

I just picked up a JDM Metanium on Amazon. Less money than a US Chronarch. Just have to wait a month for it to get here
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

10. Member
    Digitaka is the way to go. Never been more than 5 days from order to delivered.
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

Most people like me who buy JDM clean and service their own reels so therefor warranty doesn't mean much. Plat can get about any part you might need.If you don't clean and service your own reels jDM might not be for you.