Help needed on a Mercury 1997 150 EFI

<0G571686>

I apologize for the lengthy thread in advance but I am hoping to find answers to the problem I’ve been dealing with the last few months. Back in July I was fishing an all nighter. All was fine until about midnight I went to make a move and the boat didn’t want to get up on plane. The motor felt weaker than normal. Then all at once it’s like something would kick in and it would be fine. Next couple time I tried to make a run it would do the same thing, be hard to get up on plane and if it did it’s like it didn’t have full power until something would eventually kick in. So that night I decided to get closer to the weigh and just play it safe vs being broke down way down the lake. Well I took it to a guy my family and several friends know and trust to work on motors. He said everything came back to the stator. So we put a new stator on it. He gave me the old stator to look at, sure enough it was burnt BAD. First couple trips with the new one no problem at all. Then couple weeks ago it started to do the same thing all over again. Took the Cowl off and could see the stator had been getting hot again. So I decided to drop it off at a local shop after our last all nighter of the year on the way home and not bother our family friend seeing he is semi retired now. The mechanic I spoke to there let me know first thing that I shouldn’t have a a deep cycle marine battery for my cranking battery. He said he would bet that was my problem. I had a hard time understanding that seeing I haven’t had any problems before and had the boat almost 8 years. I called midweek last week to see if they had a chance to look at it. He let me know he put a regular cranking battery on it and the stator voltage regulators and everything we’re doing what they should also that all the grounds were good and they were going to take it to the lake the next day and run it to try and experience it first hand. All I could do is hope a new battery would solve my problem. Well the next day they called said they took it to the lake it ran like a dream it didn’t do what I was telling them. (Note here the mechanic didn’t take it another garage hand did). Any way I pick it up yesterday, for the battery and labor I’m out another $400 plus the stator replacement prior. Only to take it directly to the lake and it do the same thing. It don’t do it every time but this is what I noticed when it does. When I first took off yesterday it was hard to get on plane, and I when it did I ran a good ways pushing it hard, I could only get it up to about 43mph then whatever it is that kicks in kicked in I was at 52 in no time. Next couple times I get up on plane and go no problem, but the next couple times back to being weak and not missing power from something. Please help if you can.. thanks
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 09-28-2022 at 11:30 AM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I'm going to move your post to the correct (2.5L) forum for you.

You will need to provide the engine's SERIAL NUMBER for further assistance.

Loss of spark or fuel on one or more cylinders, more than likely. Possible loose driver on the circuit board of the ECU (depending on serial number).

Note: Need to make sure a WET CELL (lead acid) battery is in place, cables connected properly, and secured with a LOCKNUT or Stainless NUT (do NOT use wing nuts).

Be sure to inspect voltage regulator wires for discoloration, brown, burnt, blackened connectors. If present: Replace connectors AND REGULATORS (use ONLY OEM components here).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    The serial number is 0G571686. They put a wet cell lead acid battery in it. They checked the spark said it is good. Same for the stator and voltage regulators.

4. Member
    I had a very similar issue but it was rare until now my motor won't stay running at idle. I thought it was a fuel issue. I replaced the fuel line, primer bulb and rebuilt the pulse pump but still had the issue. I then learned about the stator charger with AGM batteries. My voltage regulators had burnt connections. I replaced the battery and voltage regulators but not sure if it's solved anything yet. I plan to take it out this week to check it out.

My issues got worse after I filled up the tank with fuel which may just be a coincidence. I'm curious to hear what feedback you get. Thanks for sharing.
    2008 BassCat Puma with a Mercury 250 Pro XS / 1996 Champion 186 with a Mercury 175 EFI

5. Member
    Let me know if it fixed it